wow

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
testing

wow

Post by testing »

How interesting....looks like guests can post in this forum without being a member.... !!

hehehehehehhe I wonder what mischief I can get up to ?
(only joking folks - but I hadn't realised that this section of the forum was "open"....have to fix that methinks !!)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: wow

Post by Woodles »

Quick, ban this poster and any other accounts he may have here! :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Mark

Are you sure 'bout that? It might mean you would have to forego any Choccy hobnobs ;)

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

testing wrote:How interesting....looks like guests can post in this forum without being a member.... !!

hehehehehehhe I wonder what mischief I can get up to ?
<snip>
(only joking folks - but I hadn't realised that this section of the forum was "open"....have to fix that methinks !!)

regards
Tim
OK - I've now seen where the "issue" was and I've changed the permissions for this section.

However, it does beg the question as to whether it might make sense to have an "open" section for guests to ask general questions about BOINC or about UBT even?

At least that way the forum might appear to be a bit more "open" to newbies. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi Mark

Are you sure 'bout that? It might mean you would have to forego any Choccy hobnobs ;)

regards
Tim
Hi Tim,

Oh well in that case, have as many accounts as possible :)

With regards to the other point, it may be worth having a guest area, depends whether the guests would outnumber the spammers?

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Hi Tim,

Oh well in that case, have as many accounts as possible :)
Hi Mark

OK - I've got two at present...so maybe I'll add a few more "just in case" ;)
With regards to the other point, it may be worth having a guest area, depends whether the guests would outnumber the spammers?

Mark
I think it's a good idea...I'd just have to keep an eye on it and keep fingers crossed that it's not going to generate a massive workload to keep on top of ;)

As it is, any guest poster would need to answer a specific question, before their post would be "accepted"...and given that the questions are random, (from a small set I've compiled) so it's probable that there wouldn't be much spam....a few humans might offer an answer...but they would need to know a little bit about BOINC to get past it !!

I'll set one up and then we can see how it goes.

regards and thanks for your input :)
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi Mark,

Mark
I think it's a good idea...I'd just have to keep an eye on it and keep fingers crossed that it's not going to generate a massive workload to keep on top of ;)

As it is, any guest poster would need to answer a specific question, before their post would be "accepted"...and given that the questions are random, (from a small set I've compiled) so it's probable that there wouldn't be much spam....a few humans might offer an answer...but they would need to know a little bit about BOINC to get past it !!

I'll set one up and then we can see how it goes.

regards and thanks for your input :)
Tim
Hi Tim,

The other thought I'd come up with was a plain text message at the top of the forum stating a guest account and password to use to prevent robotic posts but if there's some test to pass before posting then that's a better option.

No problems.

Mark