Hi again from an old member

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
UBT - Knightlight

Hi again from an old member

Post by UBT - Knightlight »

Hi, I've been out of the loop for a number of years, and though I can get back into this number crunching again. So here I am revitalising my old account.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Well it's only been 7 years!

Welcome back.  :D

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Hi again from an old member

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Knightlight wrote:Hi, I've been out of the loop for a number of years, and though I can get back into this number crunching again. So here I am revitalising my old account.
Hi Knightlight

Welcome back....as you can see we're still here, crunching away....and quite a few things have changed since your last visit.....

We're significantly higher up in the rankings, there's a lot more team members, and there's a lot more projects to get involved with.

So, feel free to ask any questions you might have and I'm sure plenty of answers will head your way :)

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:Well it's only been 7 years!

Welcome back.  :D

Mike
Hi Mike,

According to my records, Knightlight was last on the forum on Wed Sep 08, 2010 at 10:50 am....so I think 5 years might be closer !!

regards
Tim
UBT - Knightlight

Thanks for all the welcomes.

Wow has it really been 5 years, thats has gone quick.

I've set up Seti@Home again on this computer, as i like to keep that one going, done it back in the classic days where one packet would take 22 hours on a fast PC at the time.

Wanting to set up another Project in Bonic but not sure what one to go for? what do you guys/gals recommend?
UBT - Knightlight

I have 3 computers to get this running on. So I guess the computers below will influence what work projects I go for.

However having trouble installing Boinc on Windows SBS 2003, I will need to look into that. The server was used as an exchange server, now its only a file server, it is old, so not fast, but has a Dual Xeon E5310 @ 1.6Ghz, so 8 cores in all. As its dormant most of the time, I can dedicate some time to the Boinc Project

My main computer is an Intel i5-4460 @ 3.2Ghz which is on 24/7, also has an NVidia GTX 750.

My laptop I use for PCB design work so its on about 5 hours a day. Has an Intel i7 and Nvidia again.

I understand now that many work projects use the Nvidia GPU. So that may influence what projects I go for. The SBS2003 server is a very basic GFX card, so perhaps just projects that use the CPU would be best for that one.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Dan (I think)

For the CPU tasks, SETI@home and most other projects will be worth looking at, although those projects that can use a GPU (in combination with either NVidia or ATI/AMD graphics cards) will crunch the WUs faster than their CPU versions.

For the SBS2003 server
You could run a number of the projects that have relatively short processing times....such as SRBase, Denis@home, Enigma etc.

I don't know SBS, but you might need to install BOINC as an admin as it might not be happy with only "user rights" when it is installed.

If it still fails, then depending on memory restraints, you could set up a VMWare "OS" and install/run BOINC inside that.

For the i5 with GTX750
I'd look at SETI@home, Asteroids, MilkyWay, Einstein or GPUGrid - all of which have GPU applications and hence will generate higher than average credits - so pick one and run with that. The 4460 is a quad core CPU, so you can probably run 4 CPU tasks on there as well. Again, just pick your faves. Then you'll have 4 or 5 WUs running at once (3 or 4x CPU + 1x GPU, as some GPU tasks will need up to 1x CPU to run).

For the laptop:
Even with an i7 and Nvidia, the issue will be one of overheating....as pushing both the CPU and GPU on it, might cause issues esp in terms of early failure or even case damage (if the laptop has a plastic outer shell). So, less intensive projects might be worth looking at...

In ALL the above cases, it's also worth crunching WU-Prop, as this project uses a non-intensive WU, which doesn't affect crunching speed for the other projects and earns you 14 credits every 6 hours.

oops -almost forgot. If you download the MSI Afterburner (free) software, this gives you the option to under (or over) clock the GPU - so you could use this on the laptop to help keep the overall temperature low.

Hope this helps
regards
Tim
UBT - Knightlight

Thanks for all the info Timbo.  Some great tips in there.

Still have issued on the SBS machine, but I will get to the bottom of that, tried all the run as admin things. Boinc looks like its going to install, but at the end just says failed. I  read a few other posts and many people have has issues with SBS. I could try VMWare, not tried that before. The machine has more memory than it can use lol, 12Gb but OS can only use 4GB as far as I know. I will explore that route when I have more time.

How do I get the WU-Prop going? it sounds interesting but not on the list of projects in BOINC.

Also, the signature, how do I update the stats in that?

Thanks again for your reply.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Knightlight wrote:Thanks for all the info Timbo.  Some great tips in there.
Hi Dan,

No probs :)
Still have issued on the SBS machine, but I will get to the bottom of that, tried all the run as admin things. Boinc looks like its going to install, but at the end just says failed. I  read a few other posts and many people have has issues with SBS. I could try VMWare, not tried that before. The machine has more memory than it can use lol, 12Gb but OS can only use 4GB as far as I know. I will explore that route when I have more time.
Some OS can use lots of memory while others have limitations. XP can only recognise 3Gb. With 12Gb of RAM, VMWare (or any alternative) is a good proposition, so you can set up different virtual machines on top of the underlying OS.

You can get Virtual Box, via BOINC - see this (as some BOINC apps, like vLHCathome need VB to run):

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php
How do I get the WU-Prop going? it sounds interesting but not on the list of projects in BOINC.
WUProp can be added to BOINC Manager by going to the Add Project tab (in BOINC Manager) and entering this URL:

Code: Select all

wuprop.boinc-af.org
Then just register as a new user and you're away :)
Also, the signature, how do I update the stats in that?

Thanks again for your reply.
The UBT stats sig doesn't work anymore, as Darren (who built it) has backed off from BOINC and has gone quiet - I was in contact with him last year, but he hasn't come back to me since and I gather he is very busy with his life...so you might be better off nicking a stats sig from Mundayweb or BOINCstats :)

regards
Tim