Greetings from myshortpencil

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
myshortpencil
SETI.USA member

Greetings from myshortpencil

Post by myshortpencil »

Hi everybody, and a big thank you to UBT-Timbo for responding to my message on the BU website!  :)

I am a long-time SETI.USA member and currently visiting a number of teams and crunching Bitcoin Utopia for them. See, http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?74 ... ping-Teams . Being in the #1 spot, overall, for the moment, our team is interested in maintaining positive affiliations with all BOINC teams. Since we are generating more credits than we need to stay in #1, I'm helping other teams.

See, also, http://www.dunadd.co.uk/seti/forum/view ... f=3&t=2362 and http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinuto ... ostid=2789

I will be wrapping up 1 billion credits for TSBT in a few hours and will be switching to UBT.  I'm doing this at scole of TSBT's request. He mentioned that his team was in a friendly rivalry with your team, and to keep it fair, I should crunch as many credits for your team as I am doing for TSBT.

I've been doing 150 million credits a day, which, with UBT's current total, isn't going to be enough to fend off TSBT, but I'll give it a go.

BTW, my daughter spent a semester at the University of Wales, and I've been to London several times starting in the 1970s during my service in the US Navy.  

Thanks for giving me access to your forum.

Cheers     :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Welcome Jerry,

Thanks for joining the forum - glad to meet your acquaintance, as us old fogeys say ;)

We've put up a little bit of a fight with TSBT, over the last few weeks, and I'm sure we'll be doing our best to keep the mad Scot's at bay, whilst us True Britishers will be ensuring that Anglo-American friendships will be nurtured and maintained, even after you've left and helped out another Team, somewhere in the world.

I was born and raised in Woolwich, SE London, many years ago, so I can perhaps share with you some memories of the old Woolwich Arsenal, the Woolwich Free Ferry (which is still running to this day) and of course Woolwich Dockyard, a place that built many military ships, going back to Henry V111's times (c. 1512, and no, that isn't 12 minutes past 3 ;) ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolwich_Dockyard

So, get stuck in, check out the forum and feel free to chat about anything and everything :)

best regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Hello Jerry, and welcome to our forum. :wave:

Many thanks to you and your team for sharing some of your impressive crunching firepower with teams like ourselves and TSBT. Oh, and fair play to Scole, at least now their impending victory won't be quite the walk over that it might have been otherwise.  :wink:

James.
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Hi Jerry, and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Rick.
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Hi Jerry

Welcome to the forum, and to the team for your stay!  :hello1:

Keith
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Welcome to the team even if it is temporary.

Don't suppose there's any chance of bribing a few more members from SETI.USA to help hold off the Scottish hoards?  :P

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

myshortpencil
SETI.USA member

Post by myshortpencil »

Thanks for the welcome.  I had a little problem with the forum, so I'm a little late in replying.  Thanks, again, to Timbo, for his help.

I'm not real sure you will need more help.  Is anyone close to bringing more r-boxes or other ASIC devices online to crunch Bitcoin Utopia?  Even 4 U2 antminers on a USB hub will bring in 6 million credits a day for about 15 watts per hour.  :D

Oh, and Mike, 193 UOTDs!  That's impressive.
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

myshortpencil wrote:I'm not real sure you will need more help.
Yes, we do seem to be pretty helpless in the face of the approaching TSBT ceremonial fly past. :cry:
myshortpencil wrote:Is anyone close to bringing more r-boxes or other ASIC devices online to crunch Bitcoin Utopia?

Well, in the interests of friendly competition, I do have a few plans in mind :lol: but I suspect that it'll take quite a few more team mates with cunning plans of their own if we're going to be able to mount a respectable defense of our UK number 1 position.
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Welcome, enjoy your stay.

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Jerry and welcome, may your stay be long and productive :)
Joshrandom wrote:Well, in the interests of friendly competition, I do have a few plans in mind :lol: but I suspect that it'll take quite a few more team mates with cunning plans of their own if we're going to be able to mount a respectable defense of our UK number 1 position.
Count me in :D

Mark
myshortpencil
SETI.USA member

Post by myshortpencil »

I see that I have reached 1 billion credits for your team.  Couldn't keep TSBT off your six, though.  :(  It's been a delight crunching with you.  As soon as I reached 1 billion credits here, scole, over at TSBT, was reminding me that my "obligation to you" had expired and I was welcome to return to them.  :)   They are quite the competitors!  

Sometime tomorrow, I'll move on to Team Canada for a while.

Cheers
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Thanks for your help Jerry, it has been much appreciated.  :D

TSBT are a great team who thoroughly deserve to be the UK number 1 (at least for a week or two), but I'm sure we'll get back on top eventually.  :wink:

Please feel free to crunch with us again or drop in to our forum anytime, you'll always be welcome.  :salute:

James.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Thanks for your timely help - it has been a pleasure to have you on the team.

Mike

Image Image

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

A short stay but a productive one Jerry, thanks for your help.

Feel free to pop in for a chat at any time, you don't even have to crunch for us (but if you feel you must ... :D)

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

myshortpencil wrote:I see that I have reached 1 billion credits for your team.  Couldn't keep TSBT off your six, though.  :(  It's been a delight crunching with you.  As soon as I reached 1 billion credits here, scole, over at TSBT, was reminding me that my "obligation to you" had expired and I was welcome to return to them.  :)   They are quite the competitors!  

Sometime tomorrow, I'll move on to Team Canada for a while.

Cheers
Hi Jerry

Thanks for your visit to the team and joining the forum - your massive contribution has been very much appreciated.

It's been great chatting with you and please feel free to pop bakc and say "Hi" whenever you have the time.

If you feel at some point that perhaps another project needs a boost, then please let us know and we can may be help out with some of our collective crunching :)

Best of luck with your visit to Team Canada - hope they welcome you properly and with luck, they won't overtake the UBT !!

best regards
Tim
myshortpencil
SETI.USA member

Post by myshortpencil »

I'm back!   :D  As much as I like TSBT, the lead is getting a little wide.  I'm hoping we can close the gap.  I hoping to be able to do 400 million a day for at least a couple of days.  :)
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Welcome back, stay as long as you like.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

myshortpencil wrote:I'm back!   :D  As much as I like TSBT, the lead is getting a little wide.  I'm hoping we can close the gap.  I hoping to be able to do 400 million a day for at least a couple of days.  :)
Hi Jerry,

WOW - Thanks for popping back ;)

I sincerely hope that TSBT take this well, as one wouldn't like to think that you might have a preference for us Anglo's, as opposed to them Celts, up north ;)

Your "contribution" is warmly welcomed, esp. as my other half has clamped down on the amount of "leccy" that I've been using recently...the last bill came in recently, and instead of going down (as you'd expect in the summer) it went up....a lot !!

So, my little farm of 7 BFL's is moving to my workplace, but they won't be on 24/7, as there are some limitations I have to take into account (can't leave items powered up overnight due to fire regs, etc).

I am allowed, however to keep some R-Boxes :)

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
myshortpencil
SETI.USA member

Post by myshortpencil »

Just out of curiosity, what does a kilowatt hour cost in England?

I guess your production reduction means there's no hope of catching TSBT.  Can't you sleep at the office? :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

myshortpencil wrote:Just out of curiosity, what does it cost, per day, to run 7 bfls in England?

I guess your production reduction means there's no hope of catching TSBT.
Hi Jerry,

Well, I've got 2x 60+ GH, 3x Jalapeno's plus incoming is a 30+ GH and another 60+ GH.

The 60+ use approx 400 W each per hour. The Jalapeno's maybe 60W each - I'm guessing the 30+ GH will be approx 200 W.

Currently, that would be approx 980 W for 5 BFL's - there's also a need for the PC too, so that adds another 300W to the equation.

Leccy-wise, I think it's about GBP 0.12 per kWh. So, the above works out at about 1300 W (1.3 kW) per hour - so that's about:

24 (hrs) x 0.12 x 1.3 kW = £ 4.00 per day, or £ 120 per month.

With the new "additions" it'll be about 1900W per hour or 1.9 kWh.

Over 24 hours, that's 24 (hrs) x 0.12 x 1.9kW = £ 5.50 per day.

So, it could be approx £ 165 per month.

My normal combined electricity/gas bill is on average about £50 per month over the year - so, during summer, that would drop to maybe £20-30 per month !!!
Can't you sleep at the office?
I could....but that's a sacrifice I'm not ready to take up...yet!! And if my "better" half kicks me out, then maybe I might have to resort to that. ;)

regards
Tim
myshortpencil
SETI.USA member

Post by myshortpencil »

Thanks, Tim.   The electric rate isn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Were taxes included?  My electric rate is essentially the same as yours, accounting for the monetary conversion.

It's looking to be pointless to have moved to UBT.  The guy I was getting BU credits from crunched 500 million and seems to have pulled off my account.  :(  I'll give it a day, but if I'm not doing 400 million a day, it isn't going to help much.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

myshortpencil wrote:I'm back!   :D  As much as I like TSBT, the lead is getting a little wide.  I'm hoping we can close the gap.  I hoping to be able to do 400 million a day for at least a couple of days.  :)
Welcome back Jerry, I bet you can't keep that up for a week :D

UBT - Timbo wrote:I am allowed, however to keep some R-Boxes :)
'Some' means more than ten right? :)

myshortpencil wrote:It's looking to be pointless to have moved to UBT.  The guy I was getting BU credits from crunched 500 million and seems to have pulled off my account.  :(  I'll give it a day, but if I'm not doing 400 million a day, it isn't going to help much.
It's never pointless to move to UBT, every little helps.

Mark
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Welcome back Jerry. :wave:
myshortpencil wrote:It's looking to be pointless to have moved to UBT.  The guy I was getting BU credits from crunched 500 million and seems to have pulled off my account.  :(  I'll give it a day, but if I'm not doing 400 million a day, it isn't going to help much.

As Mark has pointed out, every little helps in our team's (no doubt soon to be successful) comeback against TSBT, so we're glad to have you back. :D

James.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

myshortpencil wrote:Thanks, Tim.   The electric rate isn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Were taxes included?  My electric rate is essentially the same as yours, accounting for the monetary conversion.
Hi Jerry,

It's nearly acceptable though "energy needs" is the big thing for most people, as, like water, it is a neccessity - and with all the fuss about how to generate the energy to begin with, so it's a trade off, between using what you need and what you can afford.

PS: My calculations are pretty much only guesswork "back of a cigarette packet", so it's just order of magnitude in accuracy terms.
It's looking to be pointless to have moved to UBT.  The guy I was getting BU credits from crunched 500 million and seems to have pulled off my account.  :(  I'll give it a day, but if I'm not doing 400 million a day, it isn't going to help much.
hahahahahaha - that's a good pun - but I would suggest that re-joining UBT won't be a long-drawn out affair - we just need to stay sharp and we'll get the lead (sic) again ;)

regards
Tim
myshortpencil
SETI.USA member

Post by myshortpencil »

WooHoo!  UBT gained a whole 12 million credits on TSBT, yesterday!  http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=boincteams#  What's you're cheapest wine? :D
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

myshortpencil wrote:WooHoo!  UBT gained a whole 12 million credits on TSBT, yesterday!  http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=boincteams#
Thanks Jerry, we're moving in the right direction, better than losing 12 million credits :) We'll be back at number 1 in no time :D
myshortpencil wrote:What's you're cheapest wine? :D
Red http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... =267876003

White http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... =266798156

.. Or you could really push the boat out and go for sparkling! http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... =250615754

Mark
myshortpencil
SETI.USA member

Post by myshortpencil »

Can you believe I wrote, "What's you're cheapest wine?"  I am not worthy of your team.   :oops:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

myshortpencil wrote:Can you believe I wrote, "What's you're cheapest wine?"  I am not worthy of your team.   :oops:
Hi Jerry,

Your fourgiven - its wot we hav cum too xpect frum hour amerricon cuzsins ;)

regards
Tim
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

myshortpencil wrote:Can you believe I wrote, "What's you're cheapest wine?"  I am not worthy of your team.   :oops:
That's alright Jerry, we've all made a few grammatical howlers in our time, and I think everyone understood that you'd really meant to use the word "your" instead of  "you're", so we don't think any the less of you. :wink:
myshortpencil
SETI.USA member

Post by myshortpencil »

I'll be increasing my production with the goal of putting UBT about 1 billion credits ahead of TSBT.  Then I'm off for other teams.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Sounds good Jerry. Thanks for all your help, you must be getting a lot of stick over at TSBT, they'll never let you back!  :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

myshortpencil wrote:I'll be increasing my production with the goal of putting UBT about 1 billion credits ahead of TSBT.  Then I'm off for other teams.
Hi Jerry,

Many thanks for your continued and highly valued contribution - we still plan on taking back our #1 spot....and I'm sure that we'll continue doing what we do best, even after that. 8)

best regards
Tim
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

myshortpencil wrote:I'll be increasing my production with the goal of putting UBT about 1 billion credits ahead of TSBT.  Then I'm off for other teams.
You've been very generous with your time Jerry, and it's much appreciated.

In the unlikely event that you or your team ever need any help reaching a particular target or challenge, then please let us know and I'm sure that many of us would be happy help you out in return.  :D

James.
myshortpencil
SETI.USA member

Post by myshortpencil »

Joshrandom wrote:You've been very generous with your time Jerry, and it's much appreciated.

In the unlikely event that you or your team ever need any help reaching a particular target or challenge, then please let us know and I'm sure that many of us would be happy help you out in return.  :D

James.
Thanks James!  And in the unlikely event that your team ever disbands, please consider joining SETI.USA. ;)

Jerry
myshortpencil
SETI.USA member

Post by myshortpencil »

Over at TSBT, Alez and Scole both joined the Ireland team.  That's their top crunchers.  So, with UBT now 900 million ahead of TSBT, it's time for me to move on.  It's been a real pleasure crunching with your team.  If Alez and Scole don't go back to TSBT soon, you may move into 11th place ahead of them.

I wish both teams the best of luck.

Cheers,
Jerry
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Thanks very much indeed for your generous contribution Jerry, it's been most welcome and much appreciated and made things a lot more interesting than they would have been otherwise.

Good luck in your future adventures and feel free to pop in at anytime, you'll always be assured of a warm welcome.

Regards,

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

myshortpencil wrote:Over at TSBT, Alez and Scole both joined the Ireland team.  That's their top crunchers.  So, with UBT now 900 million ahead of TSBT, it's time for me to move on.  It's been a real pleasure crunching with your team.  If Alez and Scole don't go back to TSBT soon, you may move into 11th place ahead of them.

I wish both teams the best of luck.

Cheers,
Jerry
Hi Jerry,

I'm unsure as to why scole and alez would leave TSBT - seems a strange move ?

And checking the stats today, shows that scole has gone back to TSBT !!

Maybe the Scottish independence vote (coming up this Thursday) has affected them somehow ? ;)

On behalf of the entire UBT, many grateful thanks for your involvement with our team over the last month or so - we will always be indebted to you for your help and support and you can be sure that there'll always be a place here for you, should you ever decide to pop back for a while.

with very best regards
Tim
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Thanks for all the heavy lifting you've been doing for us Jerry, and as Mark said, it's certainly made things interesting.  :D

I hope you'll still pop into the forum from time to time, and, you know, if you did happen to find yourself at a loose end with a few billion more odd credits going spare, then please remember that you'll always have a home here. ;)

James.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Tonight it seems that Jerry (MSP) has moved onto Team England....I don't think we have much to worry about for now..... ;)

http://ubtstats.co.uk/te/ajs.php?cs=2&s ... ct=bitcoin

regards
Tim
myshortpencil
SETI.USA member

Post by myshortpencil »

No worries, mates.  I'm just there for a day, as I'm crunching 1 day for each team in 200th place, or above, for which I can join at BU.  A quick in and out. :)
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi all,

Tonight it seems that Jerry (MSP) has moved onto Team England....I don't think we have much to worry about for now..... ;)

http://ubtstats.co.uk/te/ajs.php?cs=2&s ... ct=bitcoin

regards
Tim
Heh heh - he's managed to nearly double their total credits in 1 day!

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:Heh heh - he's managed to nearly double their total credits in 1 day!
Hi Mike

Well spotted...that'll give 'em something to think about !!

Just as long as they don't all go out and buy some R-Boxes and start giving us a run for our money !!

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
UBT - Mikee wrote:Heh heh - he's managed to nearly double their total credits in 1 day!
Hi Mike

Well spotted...that'll give 'em something to think about !!

Just as long as they don't all go out and buy some R-Boxes and start giving us a run for our money !!

regards
Tim
Good point, he might have given them some ideas! :shock: