Hello all I'm Back

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
Timby

Hello all I'm Back

Post by Timby »

Hello all at UK Boinc Team, it's been a while since I last completed a work unit, not sure exactly how long but logging on to the forum gave this message !!

View posts since last visit (16515)  :shock:

Any way, nice to be back, will get crunching again and drop a few PM to the guys I remember from back along.

Cheers

Mark
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Hi Mark, it`s great to have you back. Welcome!  :hello2:

Rick.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Hi Rick, thanks for the welcome, it was July 2010 when I last posted, new job, new house and 2 years gone by just like that!
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Hi Mark

Nice to see you back here!  :hello1:
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Welcome back Mark, it's good to see you posting again.  :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Mark,

Long time no "speak" :hello2:

Hope all's well with you and good to see you crunching again  :thumbup:   :computer:

regards
Tim
Timby

Post by Timby »

Hi Keith, Josh and Tim, and thanks for the welcome. Wow it's been a long time since the CPU and GPU's have glowed like this, it seems I missed quite a bit over the last couple of years, it's especially good to see you back as well Tim, hope it's all going to plan.....
Unfortunately I am back to one PC having sold my business and my current employer won't allow Boinc onto the 3000 or so desk top machines  :twisted:
Any way, trying to get an old quad up and running to help things along a bit, any suggestions as to what I should crunch? I have started with Primegrid but would like to focus on anything we need a small push on?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Timby wrote:Hi Keith, Josh and Tim, and thanks for the welcome. Wow it's been a long time since the CPU and GPU's have glowed like this, it seems I missed quite a bit over the last couple of years, it's especially good to see you back as well Tim, hope it's all going to plan.....
It's good to see you back too....I'm doing OK now.....had my radiotherapy over 2 years ago now and my PSA has dropped substantially since then.....so, with a bit of luck I'll be around for quite a bit longer :)

Sadly, running BOINC seems to have become less "relevant" for quite a few UBT members - maybe due to the rising cost of living? I know I've scaled back the number of PC's I have, just to keep a lid on electricity costs....but at least after, what 10 years or so (of BOINC), there's plenty of projects actually publishing results now - so there's something to be gained from that at least.
Unfortunately I am back to one PC having sold my business and my current employer won't allow Boinc onto the 3000 or so desk top machines  :twisted:
Any way, trying to get an old quad up and running to help things along a bit, any suggestions as to what I should crunch? I have started with Primegrid but would like to focus on anything we need a small push on?
I've been running a few of the smaller projects recently, such as SAT@home, Collatz, RNA World and DistRTgen - if only because smaller projects don't seem to get much attention......and between them, they always seem to have some WU's to crunch......

But I'll leave it to you to sort out which might be best to join.... :)

regards
Tim
Ben

Return of the nonsence..

Post by Ben »

Ah good to see you back Timby, i too have been inactive for quite some time now due to varying changing situations, however looking to get the rig powered up again for some crunching  :)
Timby

Post by Timby »

Hi Ben,

Good to see some "old" faces around again, yeah get the PC running and help with Global Warming  :lol:

I try to look in most days to the forum but as work allows really, hows life treating you? still in Ciren?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks sah!

Life is not too bad, so far so good. Now based in Stroud at the moment, but still commute to Cirencester monday - friday!

How about you?
Timby

Post by Timby »

Ah, well life has taken several turns since I last caught up with you, I sold my business in July 2010, now working for a large UK insurer, then in June 2011 we moved house, so basically the reason I had a break from crunching, still working on the house, it's slightly older than myself, around 350 years old but solid.