Hello

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
6.5x55

Post by 6.5x55 »

LOL - I was going to change it when realised that no way could one rig generate those kind of numbers :D.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Usually not, but some mad crunchers such as UL1 have something like 3-4 HD5000 series GPU's in his machines and are capable of doing in the region of 600k per day.. Per machine!  :shock:

Although you can just imagine the electricity meter!  :wink:

Take a look at these top hosts RAC (recent average credit):
http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/top_hosts.php  :!:
Ice

Post by Ice »

I doubt whether any of my rigs would rate as 'top' since the best of mine is no more than a desktop with a duo processor in it, and a HD4870. I have a couple of HD4870s and some HD4850s but mostly in crappy old PCs which I saved from landfill dumps because they had a PCI express slot.

Electricity costs are certainly a factor, but I've tried to crunch on a budget by managing to get hold of old PC's and investing in one or some ATI cards.

It was about this time last year that I figured out that if I had one PC with one ATI card I could get rid of all my other PCs, have reduced electricity cost, but still have the same credits as all those PCs. I would say that this still holds true, except that I kept getting another ATI card and started up another mothballed PC. And now I'm on a 100 million a year later after being on just 3 or 4 mill.

It's really doesn't take much to be a 'mega cruncher' and to help to haul this team up a bit higher   :wink: