Boinc on Linux

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Boinc on Linux

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

Hi,

In a desparate attempt to participate in any Wanless sprint in the near or distant future I decided to try and create a virtual Linux PC. That was surprisingly easy despite having virtually no Linux experience.

However, (there's always an however isn't there?) I now have Linux Mint running, I have downloaded Boinc but I can't get the ****** thing to run. I boot into a clean system, create a terminal session and type 'boincmgr' at the prompt. It fires up but all options are greyed out and it says that is is 'disconnected' at the bottom. I've tried to do 'select computer' with Localhost but nothing. I tried using 'sudo boincmgr' but that doesn't help. I feel like I've scaled Everest and been stopped 10ft from the summit.

Can anyone tell me the right incantations?

Chris.
damienh
UBT Contributor

Re: Boinc on Linux

Post by damienh »

Sounds like the boinc daemon (service) isn't running.

How did you install boinc / boinc manager? Did you use the software manager within Mint?
UBT - Chris Suddick

Yes I used the software manager. On initial boot there was a 'getting started' option and beyond that was 'software manager'. I searched for Boinc and clicked 'Install' which gave no idication that it had done anything but did display a 'Launch' button which seemed to do nothing. At that point I created a command line window and typed 'boincmgr' which brings up the familiar boinc manager but with everything greyed out. Is there a command that displays active processes which I can use to see what is running?

Thanks,

Chris.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:41 pm Is there a command that displays active processes which I can use to see what is running?

Thanks,

Chris.
Hi Chris

If memory serves me, in a Linux terminal window if you type "top" it will list running processes...

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris Suddick

Your memory is good, Tim.

Top reveals that there is an active process called 'boinc'. so something appears to be running.

Chris.
ChelseaOilman
TeAm AnandTech team member

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Hi Chris,
When you open the menu on the bottom left, don't you see Boinc Manager listed in All Programs or specifically the Administration section?

When you search for BOINC in Software Manager a list of programs appears. I think it's the Meta package you should have installed. That one has the client and Boinc Manager in it. There is one selection that just installs the manager and not the client. If the manager didn't get installed you could run that.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:56 pm Your memory is good, Tim.
Hi Chris

I can recall issuing that command MANY times, when I was trying to install Ubuntu on a Gigabyte Brix - and I sort of got it going, hence the 200,000 Wanless total credits I earned - which was by that box.

But, in the end I gave up with it, as I tried to create and edit some app_info.xml configuration files, but the friggin' OS "decided" that I (logged in as "admin") did NOT have the rights/permissions to either create such files or to even copy them across the network (from another host) and be able to edit them, to suit the Brix config I wanted.

Talk about mental - I got so fed up with it I just pulled the HDD, formatted it and put Windows on it - no issues after that (but this Brix was not capable of general "BOINCing" but I wanted to see if I could do something useful on Wanless).
UBT - Chris Suddick wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:56 pm Top reveals that there is an active process called 'boinc'. so something appears to be running.

Chris.
BOINC is the program that does the actual crunching...but you need BOINC Manager running too ("boincmgr").

Maybe another Linux brainiac can help onwards from here ?

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:15 pm But, in the end I gave up with it, as I tried to create and edit some app_info.xml configuration files, but the friggin' OS "decided" that I (logged in as "admin") did NOT have the rights/permissions to either create such files or to even copy them across the network (from another host) and be able to edit them, to suit the Brix config I wanted.
Hi Tim,
If you right click on the Boinc folder in File Manager in the middle of the menu that opens there is a selection to "Open as root". Click on that and then another file manager window will open and you can then edit things.
UBT - Chris Suddick

I think I've solved it. I had looked at many articles on Google to help but they led me round in circles. Then I found a Youtube video that showed me exactly what Carl suggested. I just needed to start boincmgr via the start button rather than a command line. I was making it far more complicated than it needed to be.

Thanks again for your input. I might be able to give Wanless a go now.

Chris.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

The team captain on my old team has recently been making a bunch of YouTube videos to help with a bunch of things related to BOINC.
There's even one in there that shows him installing BOINC on Linux Mint in a virtual machine on a Windows box.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8H1s ... kKw/videos
UBT - Chris Suddick

ChelseaOilman wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:27 pm The team captain on my old team has recently been making a bunch of YouTube videos to help with a bunch of things related to BOINC.
There's even one in there that shows him installing BOINC on Linux Mint in a virtual machine on a Windows box.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8H1s ... kKw/videos
That was the very one I found that got me going.

Chris.
damienh
UBT Contributor

Post by damienh »

I just learnt a new bunkering tactic! I had no idea that it was possible - or desirable - to upload completed work sometime before actually reporting it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO2y1d0CEtw&t=321s)

Regarding the boinc launch issue, sounds like it's sorted. I checked the commands though, and there is a different command called 'boinc' that can launch the actual boinc daemon / service. There are a bunch of parameters for it. Looks like boincmgr is for the UI only. Launching from the start menu appears to automatically start both ...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Damien Healy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:59 pm I just learnt a new bunkering tactic! I had no idea that it was possible - or desirable - to upload completed work sometime before actually reporting it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO2y1d0CEtw&t=321s)
Hi Damien

So, in short the "trick" is to:

Download a cache of tasks into your bunker
Turn the network access OFF
Process as many tasks as possible, if not all of them
Once completed processing, SUSPEND the project

Only then do you turn network access back ON - all the completed tasks will upload, but they will NOT report and BOINC Manager will just say "Ready to report" for each task.

This also then allows you to download tasks from OTHER projects (keeping your CPU busy) - though you cannot download tasks from the chosen project as it is "suspended".

Do NOT click on "Update" for the bunkered project as that will over-ride this "trick"

At a suitable time (and BEFORE the deadline for each task) you can click on either "Update" or "Resume" for the chosen project. Both will cause BOINC Manager to "report" the tasks, (that were already uploaded previously) and that is when you will earn the credits.

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

That's good to know, might come in useful.

A comment said that the second time you enable the network it will report even if suspended so best to get a lot of tasks for other projects the second time. Of course, blocking the IP address will stop it reporting once they're uploaded.