BOINC Manager

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

BOINC Manager

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

Something strange has happened to my Boinc manager and I can't undo it.

The other day I was looking at some Boinc stuff, as one does, and I had the Boinc manager open on the Tasks tab. At some point while I was moving my mouse over the window I involuntarily clicked and one of my columns disappeared. It is the Application column in question which would not normally concern me but right now I could really do with it. I think that I somehow shrank the column to zero width but, try as I might, I can't get it back. I've tried left and right clicking with shift and/or ctrl to no avail. I've gone into option/select columns and tried deselecting and reselecting the application column but nada. I've looked through the Boinc folder for a config file in case the column headings and widths were stored there but I can't find one.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm baffled.

Chris.
ChelseaOilman
TeAm AnandTech team member

Re: BOINC Manager

Post by ChelseaOilman »

I just put my mouse cursor on the divider line and reduced the column to nothing and was able to go back and expand it again.

With it gone, if I put the mouse cursor between Deadline and Name, which is where it was, I see a double line instead of a single line to expand it.

Just put the cursor on it until you see the double line, left click and drag it to open it up again.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Chris,

Boinc manager settings are stored in the registry.

Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Space Sciences Laboratory, U.C. Berkeley\BOINC Manager\Tasks
Ensure that Application isn't listed in HiddenColumns
If it is, delete it.

navigate to Application
Endure that the Width is non zero
If it is, set a new value (200 should do to get it noticeable)

You'll need to close and re-open Boinc manager for the changes to be detected.

Mark

Or try COs way :D
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

I made a short video of me doing it. It's posted in Discord because I can't post it here. You can go to Discord and view it or download the small file. If you view it in Discord you need to expand it to full screen otherwise it's to tiny to see.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... -54-19.mp4
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Chris

Not only might you have shrunk that column to ZERO width, but you might also have MOVED IT to between two other columns...so, I would hover your mouse over EACH of the "|" lines that separate each column (and the cursor changes from a white arrow to a "sort of" plus sign - with little black arrows on the left and right parts) and see if you can drag them to the right just a little...and you might find the Application column suddenly starts to appear - in which case you then know which one it is and you can widen it by click and holding the RHS "|" to make the column wider.

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris Suddick

OK so now I'm more mystified. I watched Carl's video and it certainly seems easy to re-expand a zero setting with no problem and Tim's suggestion of having moved the column elsewhere was inspired but wrong. I will need a little more 'fortification' before having the nerve to delve into the registry as Mark suggests but after two VERY large G&T's and a couple of glasses of wine I'm almost ready...

stand by...

Chris.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

I'm not sure alcohol and mucking around in the Windows registry is a good mix. lol
UBT - Chris Suddick

Yay! I got it back! Tim was actually right on this. The column had moved to the extreme right just on the edge of the window and was down to 0 width.

Thanks to everyone who helped here. It was much appreciated.

Chris.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:52 pm Yay! I got it back! Tim was actually right on this. The column had moved to the extreme right just on the edge of the window and was down to 0 width.
Hi Chris

Excellent - glad you got it sorted...I'll PM you my postal address so you can send a suitable quantity of chocolate HobNobs !! ;-)
UBT - Chris Suddick wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:52 pmThanks to everyone who helped here. It was much appreciated.

Chris.
And well done everyone else for all your suggestions - that's what the forum is good for - having a pool of experience that one can rely on :-)

regards
Tim