New Project: BOINC@TACC

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
Foghorn62
Active UBT Contributor 20+ yrs

New Project: BOINC@TACC

Post by Foghorn62 »

I've just upgraded my PC to Ryzen 5 processor running Windows 10 and decided to perform a clean install of BOINC. When re-adding my Projects, I came across a new project, BOINC@TACC and created an account, as I liked the sound of what they were aiming to achieve. There wasn't a UK BOINC TEAM that I could join and wondered if there was a reason for this, so searched our forum just in case, but can only find one vague reference to it in an old post.

Is this already on the radar by other team members and is it the intention to create a UK BOINC TEAM?
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Re: New Project: BOINC@TACC

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

BOINCWide team creation was suspended a couple of years ago. I just tried and there are no options to create a team. I believe when a project is being created they have to include the option of using an up to date database to use teams that are all ready open. For some reason (it's happened more than once before) UKBT sometimes isn't included in this list.

According to BOINCStats TACC isn't a current project - probably classed as a test site. The server shows no available tasks available and only 185 tasks running.

So it seems it's not a current project to be concerned about yet.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Both,

The team creation is at the bottom here https://boinc.tacc.utexas.edu/team.php but you can't create a team until you've completed a task.

As there's no tasks available at the moment then the team can't be created.

Reading the message boards it looks like you need a 64 bit OS and 8G of RAM per task (so at least 12G to start with!) plus it runs in a VM and uses all the cores available. Doesn't look like your everyday BOINC user is going to have much success with it.

I'm asking for work so if any turns up then I can create the team and then hand it over to someone more responsible. I've joined Anguillan Pirates for now as there's no point in the credits for my first task going to waste.

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Foghorn62 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:10 pm I've just upgraded my PC to Ryzen 5 processor running Windows 10 and decided to perform a clean install of BOINC. When re-adding my Projects, I came across a new project, BOINC@TACC and created an account, as I liked the sound of what they were aiming to achieve. There wasn't a UK BOINC TEAM that I could join and wondered if there was a reason for this, so searched our forum just in case, but can only find one vague reference to it in an old post.
Hi Foghorn

Welcome back to the forum - glad you've been able to log in now.

re: TACC
I hadn't spotted that this project was now active and hence, I should have jumped in before now and created a team (by whatever route was possible) as the remit of UBT is to play an active role in every BOINC project.

So, apologies that we weren't represented on this project.
Foghorn62 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:10 pmIs this already on the radar by other team members and is it the intention to create a UK BOINC TEAM?
I am sure that now I and other members have been made aware of this project that we'll make efforts to ensure a Team is created, once any one of like minded members actually return a completed task !!

So, depending on whether any WUs become available, then hopefully, we can snare at least one and then we can ensure a Team is added to their database :-)

regards
Tim