Gridcoin not welcome at PrimeGrid

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Gridcoin not welcome at PrimeGrid

Post by Woodles »

PrimeGrid wants to be able to trust its results so is asking Gridcoin to remove them from their whitelist.

http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=8272

No monetary gains for crunching PrimeGrid, less chance of someone cheating and falsifying results.

Personally, I think this is going to catch on with other projects, the bigger ones not wanting to have results falsified and the smaller ones not wanting to be overwhelmed by the new crunchers as they head elsewhere.

Is this the beginning of the end for Gridcoin?

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Gridcoin not welcome at PrimeGrid

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:32 am PrimeGrid wants to be able to trust its results so is asking Gridcoin to remove them from their whitelist.

http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=8272

No monetary gains for crunching PrimeGrid, less chance of someone cheating and falsifying results.

Personally, I think this is going to catch on with other projects, the bigger ones not wanting to have results falsified and the smaller ones not wanting to be overwhelmed by the new crunchers as they head elsewhere.
Hi Mark

I noticed this the other day and there seems to be quite a number of people who support the PrimeGrid admins in terms of their stance on not "monetizing BOINC credits", as they put it.

The issue is that, irrespective on whether people gain from being involved with Gridcoin, firstly, cheats will always try to make a name for themselves, with or without a financial inducement and secondly, whether there will be a downturn in people being interested in BOINC, because of the inducements on offer.

So, I don't think this will stop the cheaters and there could be a negative reaction as fewer people will crunch just for the science as they aren't getting anything else out of it.

(And for the record, I agree with the PG stance ;-) )
Is this the beginning of the end for Gridcoin?

Mark
I assume you mean the Gridcoin team ? (As opposed to the Gridcoin currency).

If so, then it'll be interesting to see if members stay at the team and just switch their crunching horse power over to another project that is still on the Whitelist?

People leaving Gridcon team on PG project:

https://boincstats.com/en/stats/11/team ... erMovement

Daily credits erned by Gridcoin members on PG:

https://boincstats.com/en/stats/11/team ... 9/lastDays

(and yes, since the PG announcement, their daily credits have slipped from around 100-110 million per day down to around 75 million per day !!)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,
UBT - Timbo wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:44 amHi Mark

I noticed this the other day and there seems to be quite a number of people who support the PrimeGrid admins in terms of their stance on not "monetizing BOINC credits", as they put it.
I think there's quite a few people that will support anything that works against Gridcoin regardless of the reasons or the effects on themselves.
UBT - Timbo wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:44 amThe issue is that, irrespective on whether people gain from being involved with Gridcoin, firstly, cheats will always try to make a name for themselves, with or without a financial inducement and secondly, whether there will be a downturn in people being interested in BOINC, because of the inducements on offer.

So, I don't think this will stop the cheaters and there could be a negative reaction as fewer people will crunch just for the science as they aren't getting anything else out of it.

(And for the record, I agree with the PG stance ;-) )
True but there's always going to be people cheating, it's human nature to want to be better than others. Assuming that you're going to cheat, would you be more likely to risk it for meaningless Boinc credits on PrimeGrid or for actual hard currency elsewhere? Removing the financial inducement simply makes it less likely to happen at PrimeGrid, It's a decision purely to protect THEM from cheaters.

One of the Gridcoin posters in the thread stated that there's only a total of $12 available for each project. Either (s)he got their sums wrong or there's not much of a monetary incentive anyway. If you're sharing $12 with the rest of the team then you're not getting a lot of it! Of course, some people will be holding onto GRC in the hope that it gets to $10,000 each and they'll make a profit then. I'm pretty sure that others crunch regardless of the GRC given out and just want to be part of the "Top Team"

I think PrimeGrid will lose a few Gridcoin people (and they'll probably be the bigger players as they'll have more to lose) but they'll simply move to new projects. They've invested in the hardware, they're not going to stop crunching. I don't think the PG decision will affect the number of people joining Boinc as they can still get their GRC elsewhere. The bigger problem is the falling number of people in Boinc whatever their reason.
UBT - Timbo wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:44 amI assume you mean the Gridcoin team ? (As opposed to the Gridcoin currency).
Yes, I wasn't clear - Gridcoin = Gridcoin team, GRC = Gridcoin currency.
UBT - Timbo wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:44 amIf so, then it'll be interesting to see if members stay at the team and just switch their crunching horse power over to another project that is still on the Whitelist?
The bigger players will switch their hosts elsewhere, some members will stay at PrimeGrid as they won't realise it's changed (and their GRC numbers are so small they won't notice a few missing) and others will (maybe) change teams and stay at PrimeGrid as that was what they wanted to crunch anyway.

It'll be interesting to see what the Gridcoin team membership and output on PrimeGrid is in a couple of months.

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

So Gridcoin team earned 28,449,745 credits on PG in the last day and yet earned the following credits per day on previous (randomly chosen) dates:

Code: Select all

2018-11-07	47,288,691
2018-11-03	73,916,749
2018-10-29	90,103,553
2018-10-22	105,475,354
2018-10-08	120,035,946
This might be a glitch or it might be a shift to other whitelisted GPU projects?

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

It looks like Gridcoin members are not so keen on PrimeGrid anymore - their credits per day have dropped dramatically:

Code: Select all

2018-11-13	36,610,484
2018-11-12	42,448,013
2018-11-10	44,356,595
2018-11-08	41,652,638
This is quite a change from a month ago, when Gridcoin were regularly generating over 100m credits per day.

Here's their stats in graphical form:

https://boincstats.com/en/stats/11/team ... 469/charts

and in the same period, look at the change in credits for Collatz:

https://boincstats.com/en/stats/86/team ... 9/lastDays

(from 500m per day to over 700m per day)

So, it looks like quite a few Gridcoin members are looking for a financial return on their BOINC contribution, rather than just doing it for the science.

Just need to see if Collatz and other GPU based projects do the same as PG and have their projects taken off the (Gridcoin) whitelist !!

regards
Tim