Running the same project twice (diff a/c's) within BOINC Manager?

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Running the same project twice (diff a/c's) within BOINC Manager?

Post by chriscambridge »

I currently have different projects running in the BOINC Manager using different accounts.

What I wanted to know is how the BOINC manager knows which account is being used; obviously in the project list it shows username and team.

Is it just the BOINC manager that has this information, or is it also stored within the C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\ files (on Windows).

The reason that I ask is that I want to have Collatz added twice, one from UBT and one from GRC; however from what I can see there can only be one collatz project files - and hence I am trying to work out if this will work (eg the user/team is stored in the manager files) or if it will not (as the project files have this setting(s).

Basically I am getting bored of having to keep removing/adding project files and would prefer just to set specific project to 'no tasks' which would be quicker and easier.

Help! :?
UBT - Chris
Active UBT Contributor 5+ yrs

Re: Running the same project twice (diff a/c's) within BOINC Manager?

Post by UBT - Chris »

You might want to add BOINCTasks and just create a new client - use one for UBT and one for GRC :) When you want to run for UBT, set GRC to 'no new tasks', when you want to run for GRC, set the UBT one to 'no new tasks' (or just suspend the 'computer')
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Chris

Within BOINC Manager, you can have "different accounts (ie username, and password and even Team) for each and every project...

So, on SETI you could have:

chriscambridge - cc@hotmail.com - UK BOINC Team

and on Rosetta:

chrisoxford - co@outlook.com - Team England

But you can only have one account per project.

If you wanted two accounts on the same project, then it gets a bit tricky...you either need to set up a Virtual machine and run a different copy of BOINC Manager within that environment or perhaps get a separate boot drive and boot from this instead of your normal boot drive?

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Sorry Chis, you can't run the same project with two different accounts at the same time.

Boinc stores the current account in the 'project' area of the client_state_xml for each attached project (also in the client_state_prev.xml file if the original has been updated since you signed up the account)

And yes, it's also stored in the ...\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\ file for that particular project.

As the client_state.xml file changes with each workunit crunched, you can't have two different sets and switch between them either.

As (the other) Chris says, you need to have two Boinc clients with two sets of data files and switch/enable them as required (or set up a VM with a different set of Boinc data directories)

Mark

ETA.
Beaten to it but to clarify, you can have as many accounts on a project as you like but you're limited to only one active account per project per Boinc instance.
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

Thanks Guys, that is what I feared.

At this time I only want to run the standard BOINC Client but thanks for the suggestion on BOINC tasks.
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

So I also posted the same question at BOINC message boards.

Unless I am mistaken, even though it sounds quite difficult, there does seem to be a way to do this.
In the briefest of summary, set up for running 2 BOINC clients concurrently with <allow_multiple_clients>1</allow_multiple_clients> in the cc_config.xml and a lot more to set up stuff to do. Configure each instance to use e.g. 50:50 threads and create a second account at your project of choice. Then attach each client to project and you got your split.

See https://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_th ... p?id=10986 for expanded discussion.
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

:shock:
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Yep, that's running two Boinc clients as Chris, Tim and I suggested. You can't do it without separating the two data directories which means having two managers to control them.

If you go that route, UBT - Chris (memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1140) is probably the best person to ask about it as he's currently doing that all the time although it's not difficult :D

Mark
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

I am going to leave going down that route.
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

It's not too bad :D all you need is BOINC tasks then to connect your client to BT and set up a new BOINC directory. For this, go to ProgramData and make a 'BOINC2' folder and then create a batch file called 'boinc2.bat'. Then in that file, contain this:

Code: Select all

"c:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc.exe" --allow_multiple_clients --redirectio --detach_console --gui_rpc_port 31418 --dir C:\ProgramData\BOINC2
exit
And then run that batch file.

After you've run it, set the computer up in BT and go back to the BOINC2 folder, open the 'gui_rpc_auth.cfg' folder, copy the password and insert that into the password field into BT. Voila, you have another client! Then if you still need more, keep creating them until you have as many as you need :D (I'm on 300, with 250 actually connected at the moment)...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... nfo-method - This is a more in-depth description and what I followed when making mine :) (I ignored the changing of the password though, as that bit didn't work for me).

Hope this helps! Even if you don't use it for this, I'm hoping a few people use it on Goofy because I'm determined to make the Top 10 on the FB sprint ;)

Chris
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

I would prefer not to open a 'remote procedural call' (RPC) port; I will stick to the method I am currently using.
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

No worries :)