Back After MAJOR Outage ...

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
Torn Jacketson

Back After MAJOR Outage ...

Post by Torn Jacketson »

Hi all,

I am finally back with a working machine after a MAJOR outage where I lost my MoBo, Disk, and some memory sticks. I have no idea what happened - I just came back one day and the machine was dead ... very dead.

Anyhow, much time and money later I am back. I finally have BOINC installed and running again after struggling with a repeated "invalid msi" when downloading the latest version of BOINC, and then repeated "the feature you are trying to install is on another disk" (or something like that).

I have all of my big projects up and running again, and have found the URL for WUProp. Can someone please remind me of the project URL for GoofyGrid, and please advise if GridCoin is still dead ??

Thanks,
Steve
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Back After MAJOR Outage ...

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Steve

Welcome back :-)

Sorry to hear of the hardware failure. It's not fun to have to go through when reliable kit fails, esp if it happens unexpectedly and without warning...plus when it takes out multiple pieces of hardware.

I had something similar happen to me a while ago, when my old and trusty 3GHz CPU "died", taking with it a data HDD...though the boot drive was fine.

I've also had a similar problem with BOINC before - I found that the issue is sometimes caused by BOINC thinking that an earlier version is installed and it is looking for the original MSI file - no doubt to check if you are installing a newer version or "repairing" the same version, I guess. If it doesn't find the original then it errors.

Goofy is here - so just add this once you click on the BOINC Manager "Add projects" tab

Code: Select all

http://goofyxgridathome.net/
I assume you mean the BOINC "Gridcoin Finance" project - I tried it just now and the website doesn't appear to be up and running...:-( Anyone else know what happened to them ?

regards
Tim
Torn Jacketson

Post by Torn Jacketson »

Tim,

Thanks for that. GoofyGrid back in and running again. Yes, I meant "Gridcoin Finance". It went through a stage of part failure earlier this year where it was dishing out WU's but not accepting the results back. Looks like it has totally gone now. No worries - just wondered if it was worth adding it back - I think you have answered my question!

Thanks - and a Happy New Year to all
Steve
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Must be something in the air then as I had major hardware failures as well (Main HD, DVD ROM, USB Card and motherboard all went over the course of a couple of days! Surprisingly Maplin came to the rescue with a cheap motherboard bundle for just £89.99. According to BOINC Manager it's twice as fast as the blown board! It'll do until the proper upgrade around April.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi both

From my side, I regarded my hardware issue as a "golden lining" type moment, as although it caused me major stress, the mobo and CPU had done great service for some time...but in the meantime, technology had moved on at a far greater pace, meaning that I replaced the mobo and CPU with much faster/better components which have stood me in great stead ever since.

Mike's experience sort of bears this out...

I think we forget how cheap (relatively) we can get PC hardware these days and how much better these new parts are for BOINC.

Maybe I should look at retiring a couple of other older machines I have, which are rock steady, but they hardly cut the mustard these days...as well as being far less efficient than new kit.

regards
Tim