boincstats

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: boincstats

Post by UBT - Timbo »

nick wrote:yep it was atlas i stopped new tasks and aborted the ques and i am back to 8
Hi Nick

I've not run Atlas, but it runs under VBox so hence unless you have bags of CPU power and memory, I would imagine it might use up a fair chunk of resources, even with 8Gb of ram !!

Having said that, you might be able to limit the number of Atlas processes within BM in VBox, (say set it to 3, as that allows a bit of overhead) and then you can run some less intensive tasks on the rest of the CPU's you have.

There's an interesting post here, which might help:

http://atlasathome.cern.ch/forum_thread.php?id=481#3981

regards
Tim
nick
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by nick »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
re: time fields
BM only has the one per day, as does BoincTasks (which is what I use). Ideally you need 2 fields per day so you can set "midnight to 9am" and a "5:30pm to midnight" settings. For weekends though, you can set a Friday "5:30pm to midnight" and then do Sat/Sundays as "24 hours" and then Monday "midnight to 9am"....

FWIW, with just the one field, I just crunch from (say) 00:01 until 9am on the other weekdays...so you'd "lose" the 5:30pm to midnight option, but you'd make the most of the early hours period.

regards
Tim
Turns out its not a timer just an on off flag so you can do 6pm to 9am. or what ever that schedule is that day or at least it seems that way ill know for sure in a few days not been watching it like a hawk.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

nick wrote:ok i think its just atlas being i memory hog i hope as its running 3 tasks if i remember right i think i read on here you can make a config file for each project so you can limit it or tell it to do more per cpu but i don't remember how or where i saw it.
Try here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5895&p=108538#p108411 It can also be applied to Atlas :D
nick wrote:
UBT - Timbo wrote:
re: time fields
BM only has the one per day, as does BoincTasks (which is what I use). Ideally you need 2 fields per day so you can set "midnight to 9am" and a "5:30pm to midnight" settings. For weekends though, you can set a Friday "5:30pm to midnight" and then do Sat/Sundays as "24 hours" and then Monday "midnight to 9am"....

FWIW, with just the one field, I just crunch from (say) 00:01 until 9am on the other weekdays...so you'd "lose" the 5:30pm to midnight option, but you'd make the most of the early hours period.

regards
Tim
Turns out its not a timer just an on off flag so you can do 6pm to 9am. or what ever that schedule is that day or at least it seems that way ill know for sure in a few days not been watching it like a hawk.
7.6.22 calls it "Compute only between xx and yy", nice to know they don't have to be the same day ... although mine usually run 24/7 anyway :)

A bit late to the party but an alternative would be to use the "Exclusive Applications" setting if there's always a certain programme running during working hours (email?) or the "Suspend when non-BOINC CPU usage is above xx" field and run 24 hours a day. I've used both in the past when I wanted to occasionally run a particular application that's not especially CPU heavy (but needed a lot of HDD access and Boinc reading and writing slowed it down) without the hassle of stopping and re-starting Boinc.

Regards,

Mark
nick
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by nick »

i think its a from this time off from this time on sort of thing so you just put them in backwards so rule out the work day