should i be earning more points?

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
nick
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

should i be earning more points?

Post by nick »

with 2 i5's crunching 24/7 are my stats about right or should i be churning out more?

if i should be earning more what are some steps i can take to fix this?
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Re: should i be earning more points?

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

I assume this is you ... http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/user/detail/3685301

It looks like you're currently around 30,000+ a day. You're 2nd highest in team RAC at Asteroids which is pretty good going after only 4 days!

As far as I can see you're doing terrific!. Other projects might give better credits per WU but if you're happy doing these then carry on!

Well done so far! Accordiing to Johns stats you're all ready up to 1354 in the team and going up in 10s or more per hour! (1354 at the mo)

http://www.ubtstats.co.uk/ubt/ajs.php?s ... oject=comb

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

nick

Post by nick »

yes that is me...ok just checking seen people with similar rigs pulling more points but then i checked my backlog 90 to be validated so i switched one pc off asteroids. not really worried about points just checking my pc are working there best to do my bit for science.
scole of TSBT
The Scottish BOINC Team member

Post by scole of TSBT »

If your system is running the asteroids AVX WUs, watch your CPU temps. Those WUs are optimized and a CPU can run hot if it doesn't have a decent CPU cooler.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

nick wrote:with 2 i5's crunching 24/7 are my stats about right or should i be churning out more?

if i should be earning more what are some steps i can take to fix this?
Hi Nick,

Take a look at your own computers here (on Asteroids project):

http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/hosts_ ... rid=228683

If you then look at each of the i5's, and the "Tasks" clickable link for each, then you can see each task and further clicking will show how much time your PC(s) took compared to someone elses for the same task. Your PC's seem to be doing very well :)

What might earn you more credits (as Asteroids give a fixed number of credits per returned WU), is speeding up how quickly they are crunched. (Or buy another PC !! ;) )

Asteroids project can use a NVidia GPU, so if you can get one, for the desktop i5 PC, this will speed things up a bit. I have a couple of "older" NVidia GTX5xx series GPU's and my recent stint on Asteroids, the GTX580 would complete a task in about 2,400 seconds - yours (via a CPU) are taking nearly twice as long.

Your GTX950M (I assume) is a laptop. There's not much you can do on Asteroids with this, as there's little opportunity to tweak the hardware. If you just want credits and it doesn't matter which project, then I'd consider switching this PC over to Collatz, as they offer higher credits.

As always with PC's and laptops, keep any eye on case temperatures and if you can download the (free) MSI Afterburner software and tweak the settings to UNDERclock the GPU, to ensure it runs at a lower temp. I've done this on the aforementioned GTX580 on Collatz and GPU is now around 70 deg, which is much better than it was (high 80's !! ).

Hope this helps,

Tim
nick

Post by nick »

laptop is running at 66 deg sitting ontop of a cooler do that all good