List of NCI Projects?

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Chris
Active UBT Contributor 5+ yrs

List of NCI Projects?

Post by UBT - Chris »

As well as running projects on all 4 of the cores on my laptop, I'm looking to gain a few extra credits with NCI projects, so I'm looking for some more...

The ones I currently have running are:
  • WUProp
    La Red Atrapa Sismos
    Quake-Catcher Network EMSC/CSEM
    La Red de Atrapa Sismos Continuo
    Quake-Catcher Network (Taiwan)
    Quake-Catcher Network Continual (Taiwan)
    Quake-Catcher Network Continual EMSC/SCEM
    Quake-Catcher Network
    QCN Continual
    GoofyxGrid
I know that's a lot (bringing my total simultaneous tasks to between 14-17 :D ), but I'm looking for more, so I can earn even more credits for the team! :D

Thanks,
Chris
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: List of NCI Projects?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Chris,

Doesn't the Quake Catcher project require you to source an external device which actually does the "sensing"? I know the USA version needs it...but am unsure about the other ones. They've suspended supply of these though, like the RadioActive project, you can find 3rd party sensors if you look hard enough.

http://qcn.caltech.edu/join-qcn

The Red Atrapa is similar, but doesn't use BOINC (afaik).

PS: Running an ASIC on Bitcoin counts as an NCI task (in a way) as you only need one core of a CPU and you can run multiple ASIC's...:)

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Hi Tim,

Yes, except for IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads (which I have :D ), so it works for me :D , and I wasn't aware that Red Atrapa wasn't BOINC anymore... I'm still crunching for them and still getting the occasional credit...

And true :P but my ASICs both broke (and my cost of power has skyrocketed anyway :/ )

Thanks,
Chris
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris wrote:Hi Tim,

Yes, except for IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads (which I have :D ), so it works for me :D , and I wasn't aware that Red Atrapa wasn't BOINC anymore... I'm still crunching for them and still getting the occasional credit...

And true :P but my ASICs both broke (and my cost of power has skyrocketed anyway :/ )

Thanks,
Chris
Hi Chris,

I did find out that QCN also supports Android and in some cases it can use the built in sensor (like the ThinkPad you have)...however, I guess that means that like the separate ONavi and Phidget sensors, the smartphone or tablet needs to be glued or secured to a wall, otherwise any normal movement will make it think there's been a major quake !!

Which is fine if you can afford to glue said mobile or tab to a wall...but I guess the chances of measuring a earthquake in UK is pretty low anyways....

As I recall, the original QCN project catered mainly for people who lived in California...

re: ASIC's
How on earth did you manage to break them? Did you try and overclock them causing them to burn out? As mentioned a long while back, if you did try to overclock them, then all you needed to do was strap them to a large piece of metal (I used an old CPU heatsink, which worked well), maybe running a longer USB extension cable to them and the extra lump of metal acts as a much better heatsink :).

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Hi Tim,

I tried on my phone, but none of the tasks worked - all computation errors :/ but I'm happy to give them some WUs on my Lappy while I have the sensor anyway :D

re: ASICs
I'm still not entirely sure - I think it might have been a corrupt file they needed, but they didn't do anything other than get VERY warm when I tried them in a different PC, even with a heatsink... If you give me a run through on how to set them up again, I will try tomorrow/Friday and see if I can get them to work again :D (fingers crossed it'll work this time!)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Chris

I'd love to help, but it will have to be next week (unless one of the other forum members can lend a hand?), as I'm heading off (tomorrow) for a few days working down in the South West in Bristol and I won't have access to the forum (as I won't be taking my laptop).

So, I'll catch up when I get back and I can offer some guidance then, if still needed :)

regards
Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

ASICs are easy.
1 - Get ZADIG from http://zadig.akeo.ie/ and install
2 - Plug in the ASIC/s
3 - On the Zadig program goto options/ list all devices
4 - In the dropdown list select CP2102 USB to UART bridge controller (there will be 1 for each ASIC you have.)
5 - Click the reinstall/install driver button - do this for each ASIC.
6 - On the BOINC Manager download the BITCOIN project.
7 - That should be it.

No need to mess about with config files

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Hi, Tim - that's fine :D I think I have all I need from Mikee (thanks by the way! :D ), so I'm off to try that now and I'll update once I've tried it :)

Thanks again,
Chris
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

With the ASICs, is it libusbK (v3.0.7.0) ?

Chris
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Think that might be Linux - I used WinUSB

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Thanks, Mike :D

Chris
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D