NFS@Home

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

NFS@Home

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Been doing this for a few days now without any discernable problems until yesterday.

I decided to turn over all 4 cores to do this project and all was well. Soon after I noticed that the HDD was having kittens! PC was getting very slow to respond. First suspicion was BOINC so I shut that down - no change! Hmmm...

Checked out a few other things and nothing would calm down the drive. Eventually I did a 'System Restore' back to Thursday. That seemed to work then after a few minutes the HDD went off on one again!

'Task Manager > processes' showed 4 instances of 'lasievee_1.07' were using a lot of memory (298,000 Kb each). 'Performance monitor' showed 100% of memory was in use (usually around 50%).

'Ahh' thinks I - 'Windows is getting low on memory and is using the HDD as virtual memory (even though I've got 4 GB of RAM) - how do I sort that and what is lasievee_1.07?'

Yeah - it's obvious now. Abort all the NFS tasks and see what happens. And lo... memory dropped back to 10%, HDD activity reduced to zilch once the 4 instances of Lasivee were gone.

I've now gone back to having no more than 2 instances of NFS running at a time and all is well again!

The thing that threw me was that memory wasn't being released when NFS was suspended and/or BOINC shut down. I assumed that it would have been but I realise now that I've got preferences set to 'leave applications in memory when applications suspended', but I did and it didn't! Image

So the lesson here is...

If you're doing NFS don't have all your cores running this at a time or your HDD may throw a wobbler!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Darren

Post by Darren »

I had a similar problem with this project so I stopped doing it.
I looked through the message boards and found this...
http://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/for ... ?id=33#268

It helped me.