Project Suggestion

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Project Suggestion

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Got a small Netbook which I'm currently using to crunch QMC, however the WU's are taking an age to crunch.

So I want 2 - 3 projects which have small WU's, any suggestions?

Gonna fire main PC up sometime soon and start the bigger projects back up on that
Ben

Post by Ben »

Probably some of PG's projects, or MW when it works. I assume it is 32-bit?

Some quick PG projects:

Proth Prime Search (LLR)
Recent average CPU time: 10:43 (all together)

Twin Prime Search (LLR)
Recent average CPU time: 5:55 (same as above)

Hope that helps
UBT - Halifax-lad

yeh just 32 bit, I know of a few small projects just too lazy to search the newer projects to me and see what else is suitable for it
UBT - Halifax-lad

Just waiting on QMC to finish in next 24 hrs then its on to smaller WU's
Timby

Post by Timby »

Hi David, nice to see you back on the forum and crunching, probably Milkyway is as good as any as Ben says, but its had a couple of days off just recently. There are optimized apps for it which brings the run time down to around 6 to 10 mins depending on your CPU, awards around 10 to 12 credits/work unit.

Mark
UBT - Halifax-lad

Milkyway it is then, still waiting on QMC to finish, maybe another 2 days
Ben

Post by Ben »

What CPU do you have? Depending on it's generation you maybe able to use SSE3 or SSE2, with SSE3 being the faster one of the two.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Not looked into what processor this netbook has, I know what the main PC has, will have to pull my finger out and find the netbook specifics
Ben

Post by Ben »

If you goto:
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

You should be able to download the CPU-Z program which will tell you all about your processor information. On the 1st tab you will see a section called 'Instructions'.

Under instructions you should be able to see all the processor features. Basically look for the highest SSEX where X can be either 2, 3, 4 etc and then you know what optimized MW app you can use on your PC.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Got the optimised app, can't for life in me find the projects folder anywhere!!!
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Windoze/Vista/linux?

Windows on this PC is c:/documents and settings/boinc_master/application data/boinc...
thought it has been in my c:/documents and settings/all_users/application data before!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Windows and no its in neither of those locations, think I may uninstall then re-install it, I recall it telling me where the files would be stored but have forgotten since
UBT - Halifax-lad

Well BOINC tells me where the files are located, only prob is I can't actually find the folder in the location it says is the data file.

Any suggestions?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Are you running Vista? If so you will have to un-hide the folder as it is hidden by default.
UBT - Halifax-lad

No XP, prob solved now, no folders are hidden but files still don't show, had to access them a different way