Gaia@home

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
ChelseaOilman
UBT Contributor

Gaia@home

Post by ChelseaOilman » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:11 pm

Anyone know anything about this project being developed?

http://gaiaathome.eu/gaiaathome/

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Gaia@home

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:32 pm

Hi Carl

Interesting :D and nice find :-)

Looks like a really good "science-y" type project. ;-)

Shame it only seems to support Linux applicationa at present...and it seems most teams so far have ZERO credits, so I wonder when they will actually start issuing tasks?

If anyone wants to join this project, here's the URL to add to BOINC Manager:

Code: Select all

http://150.254.66.104/gaiaathome

Looks like we already have a team set up as well !!

http://150.254.66.104/gaiaathome/team_d ... ?teamid=70

regards
Tim

ChelseaOilman
UBT Contributor

Post by ChelseaOilman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:38 am

You guys really need to get out more. It was mentioned in Discord. Never know what you might find there.

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:24 pm

ChelseaOilman wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:38 am
You guys really need to get out more. It was mentioned in Discord. Never know what you might find there.
Well, "getting out more" is a bit of an issue right now ;-) you know - Covid-19?, Pandemic?, just basic stuff...

Seriously though, Discord has a lot going for it in many ways...but it's "user interface" is quite (IMHO) overwhelming and a bit intimidating...so, unless you keep an eye on it, most of the time, lots of stuff will just scroll by...

So, it's bit tricky to find stuff, unless you just happen to be online at a time when a discussion takes place.

I have taken a look at the BOINCNetwork group and sure enough it does have specific sections for "news" and "announcements" but unless something is "flagged up" or you know a keyword that is used for a specific thing, then you can't find it easily.

I did do a seach for "gaia" and I saw just two messages. I did another for "new project" and a few messages were listed - but it's difficult to scroll down the list as the right hand side "scroll bar" is a little bit darker than the overall background - so you can barely see it...and it's even harder to control.

Maybe someone at Discord needs to use the website a bit more and make it a bit more "user friendly" ?

(Just my 2c)....

regards
Tim

ChelseaOilman
UBT Contributor

Post by ChelseaOilman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:11 pm

I have the Discord app running all the time on my laptop. Just sits in the system tray. It makes a notification sound when people are posting. I just check to see if something interesting is being discussed. I'm currently subscribed to 10 different channels.

Does Discord default to the dark theme? You can switch to the light theme if you prefer that.

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:57 pm

ChelseaOilman wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:11 pm
I have the Discord app running all the time on my laptop. Just sits in the system tray. It makes a notification sound when people are posting. I just check to see if something interesting is being discussed. I'm currently subscribed to 10 different channels.
Hi Carl

Fair enough - I work from 2 different locations and using 4 different computers (3x PCs plus a mobile phone)...so, I don't have the luxury of being in one place and "using" one device all the time.
ChelseaOilman wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:11 pm
Does Discord default to the dark theme? You can switch to the light theme if you prefer that.
Aha :-) I didn't know this was available..so, I've now set the "appearance" to "light" theme....much better. Thanks :-) (As you can tell, I'm still trying to figure out how this website works...and some of it is still "over my head" in terms of functions and settings).

regards
Tim

ChelseaOilman
UBT Contributor

Post by ChelseaOilman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:01 pm

I have the Discord app on my phone as well but only use it on my phone to post pictures from my phone to Discord. The pictures I can't post here because they're always too big.