Why Linux p*$$e$ me off....

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Why Linux p*$$e$ me off....

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:23 pm I use BAM on all my computers. If you had BAM set up you could change BOINC settings through their website and wouldn't even need BM on the host. The password you need to use with localhost is in the BOINC folder in the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file.
Hi Carl

I *DO* have a BAM account and logging into it, I see "NO" hosts appearing in the "hosts list"...not even the other active hosts that are happily crunching away.

And clicking on "Show all hosts" does not populate what is displayed.

So, somehow this option doesn't seem to be viable - esp as I never set a BAM password in the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file...which actually doesn't exist on this specific host (or any other for that matter !!).

But thanks for the suggestion.

(However: As I recall, I had an pretty "bad" experience with BAM in it's early days - it wanted to take over full control of my hosts and in some cases, it caused numerous tasks to fail or it got confused with the hosts I had and would not accept me having mutiple accounts (which were all the same) on multiple hosts...so, I gave up using it...no doubt it might be better today, but 10+ years ago it was awful and far too erratic in what *it* wanted to do, rather than what *I* wanted to do.)

regards
Tim