£90 DELL PowerEdge R620 (dual Xeon V1 barebones 1U server)

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

£90 DELL PowerEdge R620 (dual Xeon V1 barebones 1U server)

Post by chriscambridge »

Just came across these barebones (everything but CPU's and RAM) 1U Dell servers for Xeon V1 (V0) eg LGA2011

If you are looking for a mobo, or for a powerful new CPU build based on the excellent E5-2670/80/90 CPUs, then these offer unbelievable value.

From what I understand, DELL PowerEdge R620 servers are pretty good, especially for fan airfow and build etc. Brand new they would have cost £thousands; these are priced at £65 + £25 p&p and there are 10 available.

Full info about these Dell servers here:

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop/pr ... redge-r620

PLEASE NOTE:

* These servers are 1U so the fans inside are small and very powerful, and hence very noisy.

* These servers don't have any rails so if you are looking to stick them in a server rack then you should ask the seller

* Not all servers will run Windows 7/8/10; Some say they won't but they do, where as others say they this and its true.

Its best to check Google first to see if other people have managed to install a specific OS for a given server.

However these will run MS Hyper-V (which I believe is free) so you could just install your required OS inside a VM

* Full list of drivers etc here:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en ... 20/drivers

* Even though part of the Ad says no power supplies, it is my understand that these come with dual PSUs (1U versions)

BEFORE YOU BUY, CONTACT THE SELLER AND DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING... FEEL FREE TO POST HERE WITH ANY QUESTIONS

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-PowerEd ... 0005.m1851

damienh
UBT Contributor

Re: £90 DELL PowerEdge R620 (dual Xeon V1 barebones 1U server)

Post by damienh »

That’s pretty cool. eBay has lots of E5-2670/80/90 CPUs for £65ish each too.

I personally don’t have a good space for a rack and noisy rack servers, but sure looks like a potential bargain.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Looks good Chris, good find :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I could do with a replacement motherboard for one of my Natex motherboards that's getting a bit temperamental.

I'd already have the CPUs and RAM, just a little dubious about the heatsinks as they appear to be propriety so I couldn't remove them and the noisy fans and add a couple of EVos for example.

I'll do a bit of research otherwise it's time to get sawing and filing again :D

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:58 pm Looks good Chris, good find :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I could do with a replacement motherboard for one of my Natex motherboards that's getting a bit temperamental.

I'd already have the CPUs and RAM, just a little dubious about the heatsinks as they appear to be propriety so I couldn't remove them and the noisy fans and add a couple of EVos for example.

I'll do a bit of research otherwise it's time to get sawing and filing again :D

Mark
Hi Mark

My own experience with DELL motherboards is that they can be very proprietary...custom mobo, custom case, even custom PSU etc.

Shame you've had issue with the Natex mobo - the one I got originally is still not booting...but I'm not giving up on it yet.

PS: There are sellers on fleabay offering refurb v1 E5-2670's for less than £50 and 2680's for less than £70 - I've just got another 2670 for £40+VAT so I can populate my second LGA2011 Xeon board with 2x CPUs...

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

So
One of these racks - £90
+ Two CPUs - £86 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matched-Pair ... SwX4FdaT27
+ Two 4*4G RAM - £30 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16GB-4x4GB-H ... SwrD9dlY2K

And you can have a 32 * 3GHz core host with 32G of RAM for just over £200? Makes our £500 systems from a couple of years back look expensive :D

Even adding on an RM750X PSU brings it to just over £300.

I may have to build again :-D

Mark
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:07 pmHi Mark

My own experience with DELL motherboards is that they can be very proprietary...custom mobo, custom case, even custom PSU etc.

Shame you've had issue with the Natex mobo - the one I got originally is still not booting...but I'm not giving up on it yet.

PS: There are sellers on fleabay offering refurb v1 E5-2670's for less than £50 and 2680's for less than £70 - I've just got another 2670 for £40+VAT so I can populate my second LGA2011 Xeon board with 2x CPUs...

regards
Tim
Hi Tim,

None of that would bother me, if I can get an EVO mounted on the CPUs then it won't be in a case anyway, if not then it looks like it comes cased and I'm comfortable making up a power connection from a standard ATX power supply if needed (or discrete PSUs if there's weird voltages/currents)

My motherboard is usually alright as it's always on, it can take a few reboots to get it started though once it's been off. Leaving it for 24+ hours usually does the trick though.

Mark
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

Mark I would guess you could remove the heatsinks and as long as your CPU coolers fit the rectangular LGA2011 socket that should be fine.

However as you can see the heatsinks are passive and work fine due to the huge amount of air being force over them by fans. Hence if you removed all the fans I am guessing the mobo may complain in some way as its doubtful if without the fans the passive heatsinks would work very well, if at all.

Also if you noticed the orange bits on the Fans, that shows they are hot swappable so you can just slide them out (like the hot swapped harddrives on the front).

Personally If I could deal with the noise I would just keep them as a server and just add the CPUs and RAM (in or out of a server rack).

I think I also read online that someone had got Windows 10 to run of them so I guess Windows 7 would probably work also.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Chris,

The coolers would be coming off my existing 2670s so they would fit the socket, the problem is that as far as I can see, the heatsinks on the DELL board fasten with a single bolt to the top and bottom of the CPU, not to the corners like a standard heatsink. Might need some sort of bracket making.

I was thinking of either the passive heatsinks and the installed fans (noisy) or EVO212s and no installed fans just the ones on the cooler (quiet) I can fool the motherboard into thinking the fans are still fitted so that wouldn't be a problem.

I'm trying to work out if I could live with the noise :D

I would be running Linux anyway, I think the only issues would be drivers for the board peripherals, Windows doesn't care what it runs on so long as it can detect the CPUs and use the hard disk.

Mark
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

This is the motherboard in these servers, so the sockets and brackets look like the normal rectangular 2011..

This is a video of someone removing these heatsinks; as you can see they actually attach on two different screws outside of the normal 4 holes (which are still present).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7szq-IKVCQE

chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

Anyone thinking about buying one of these servers should definitely watch this video first as it explains and shows you everything on board, and hence you well be able to check with the seller that what you require is included:

(Part 1) Dell R620 Overview - What You Need To Know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o5t9nXQ2z8

(Part 2) Dell PowerEdge R620 Part 2 - CPU | Memory | RAID | Networking | Power Supply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LInE-llG3Es
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

And this is another very good video on these servers which show you stuff not shown on the previous videos:

(The guy is a bit of an idiot though!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ZErgc7boI
Last edited by chriscambridge on Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Chris,
chriscambridge wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:57 pmThis is the motherboard in these servers, so the sockets and brackets look like the normal rectangular 2011.
The socket is the same (has to be) the brackets are propriety. A standard LGA 2011 socket is square.
chriscambridge wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:57 pmThis is a video of someone removing these heatsinks; as you can see they actually attach on two different screws outside of the normal 4 holes (which are still present).
The four holes present are for the CPU latch, they are not the same ones as used to mount a standard heatsink. 'Normal' LGA 2011 heatsinks fasten outside the CPU footprint on each corner.

Standard LGA 2011 heatsinks wouldn't fit as there's no mounting holes and the RAM is in the way even if there was.

Having said that, you CAN get the narrow CPU heatsinks, SuperMicro do some (left hand side below)

Mark
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

And finally, another video which has some additional stuff not in the others, such as exact PCIE slot info and server size

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HYs2AfrCgU
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

Mark sorry that is what I mean by rectangular eg narrow. 2011 sockets are either square or rectangular (narrow)
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

Another useful video:

How to boot a Dell PowerEdge from USB - T620 | R620 | R420 | 1900 | R200 | R210

(seems the USB boot option is somewhat hidden)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBoEV1C5e7Y
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

<after doing some research on PowerEdge R620 servers..>

Just as an update, just be aware that these servers are missing:

* the daughter board which has the 4 network ports; the single network port is for IPMI and cannot be used for normal internet.
* the PCIE riser, without which any GPUs or devices will be aligned in the wrong direction.