Full Immersive Cooling: the future, now..

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Full Immersive Cooling: the future, now..

Post by chriscambridge »

Incase anyone wants to cool 16x RTX 2080's and 2x CPUs in a 2U space (half the width of a desktop)..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvTp6mfhH3U

Or, cool 6x RTX 2080 Ti and a single CPU on a normal mobo in a 4U space..

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Full Immersive Cooling: the future, now..

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Chris

Interesting post - as I've just seen this post which is along similar lines.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/2 ... n_cooling/

In the latter, they mention that the hardware is immersed in a dielectric liquid....hopefully, they get motherboard and peripheral manufacturers to agree to this...esp if a claim under guarantee is made and the maker doesn't honour the warranty, due to all the gunk on the faulty unit !!

regards
Tim
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

There is no gunk, the liquid evapes in minutes and leaves no residue.

Also the systems above are proof-of-concept by Gigabyte to show that their pre built servers, and components, all work fine with these immersive systems.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Pfft, beginners, why bother with a few gallons of mineral oil when there's a whole ocean available - https://news.microsoft.com/features/und ... for-years/

Not quite the same though, more water cooling on a grand scale. Still interesting though.

Mark
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/microso ... ect-natick

This is a more descriptive photo of Project Natick:

The Natick team also explained the pod's cooling system and how it uses ocean water to cool liquids inside the system.

"The interior of the data-center pod consists of standard computer racks with attached heat exchangers, which transfer the heat from the air to some liquid, likely ordinary water," they said.

"That liquid is then pumped to heat exchangers on the outside of the pod, which in turn transfer the heat to the surrounding ocean. The cooled transfer liquid then returns to the internal heat exchangers to repeat the cycle."
The thing with immersive cooling is its actually a very simple concept. From what I read the main reason its not mainstream atm is due to patents and hence the high cost of 'pre-built solutions'.

However no patent can stop the knowledge being shared, and hence systems being built and used. It offers: the lowest PUE in the World (eg Allied control ASIC system), substantial savings from cooling costs, Highest density of hardware, and pretty much will work with all (non-moving) components and (server) chassis.

The only bit missing from this graphic which is how the heated water gets cooled; some use radiators/fans, some use cooling/evaporative towers. Some (a French company) even pump the heated water into home radiator systems and use/cool it that way.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:07 pm Pfft, beginners, why bother with a few gallons of mineral oil when there's a whole ocean available - https://news.microsoft.com/features/und ... for-years/

Not quite the same though, more water cooling on a grand scale. Still interesting though.

Mark
Hi Mark

I wonder what will happen if there's a hard drive failure...or maybe a PSU fails...or a mobo catches fire?

Of course there will be some redundancy built in, and maybe even some Halon gas extinguishers - but it'll be pretty expensive calling out an engineer to fix something !!

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:08 pmHi Mark

I wonder what will happen if there's a hard drive failure...or maybe a PSU fails...or a mobo catches fire?

Of course there will be some redundancy built in, and maybe even some Halon gas extinguishers - but it'll be pretty expensive calling out an engineer to fix something !!

regards
Tim
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54146718
Only 8 out of 855 servers failed - "We think it has to do with ... people not banging things around" :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:47 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54146718
Only 8 out of 855 servers failed - "We think it has to do with ... people not banging things around" :D
Hi Mark

I read that they used a (gaseous) Nitrogen atmosphere inside the Natick, rather than air/Oxygen and obviously this would "put out" any electrical fire inside the container, if a major fault occurred. :-) (As obvs "fire" needs Oxygen to sustain itself).

regards
Tim
davidBAM
The Scottish BOINC Team member

Post by davidBAM »

Project Natick module was sunk off the Orkney coast maybe only 20 miles from where I was born. I was Captain of the WCG team for TSBT at the time and wrote a very nice email to Microsoft suggesting that that they really should join our team. Didn't even get a reply
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

davidBAM wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:02 pm I was Captain of the WCG team for TSBT at the time and wrote a very nice email to Microsoft suggesting that that they really should join our team. Didn't even get a reply
Hi David

I would *guess* that maybe your email wasn't even read, as they must have so many spam filters...

I imagine "bill.gates@microsoft.com" or "paul.allen@microsoft.com" would have received hundreds of thousands of unwelcome, unsolicited emails, mostly spam... :o

That's the trouble with being a "top dog" at a highly public company...once you know the format for how their company wide email works, it's easy to guess the email addy for any of their senior staff....

I used this to good effect when Scottish Power sent me erroneous demands for payment when I moved house...a look through Companies House found the names of their MD and Finance DIrector and they used firstname.lastname@scottishpower.com format - so a quick email to them both, asking for a correction and resolution to the issue (following a faliure of their Customer Services Dept to do the same) lead to not only an apology but an ex-gratia payment for my wasted time trying to sort it out. !

regards
Tim