Holy Grail: Dual V1 Xeon Mobo £69.99

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Re: Holy Grail: Dual V1 Xeon Mobo £69.99

Post by chriscambridge »

Yeah I am kind of thinking the same thing really. I will also leave buying anymore of these mobos then.

Hey Mark, what VNC are you using? Was it TightVNC? or was that someone else.

I am having issues with TeamViewer so want to switch to something better that someone has used (with many hosts) for a long period.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Chris,

Yes, I'm using TightVNC. It's working fine on my Windows machines, it's supposed to work on Linux but I haven't got around to trying it yet.

Mark
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

Okay thanks; have you used it for long? And I guess you have never had any 'commercial use suspected' notifications (if its a personal use version)?

RealVNC (Cambridge) and TeamViewer are great software apps, but they really need to improve their 'commercial usage algorithms'! :twisted:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi both

On the mobo front - I was going to "sleep on it" and leave it until tomorrow to decide whether to buy, but with now 4 left, I've pulled the trigger on one piece... !!

It might be older tech, but I've got a box of bits that are just lying around and I'd like to put it back into action.

I was looking out for X79 series chipset mobo's (that support the Xeon CPUs) but none were available at reasonable pricing and they didn't support the DDR3L RAM I have.

At least once this other S2600CP mobo gets going, I can maybe fault-find what happened to the first one. :-)

BUT I do have a clue...as one of the Xeon CPUs was swapped into a spare X79 board I already had and it crashed a couple of times.

When I checked the BIOS, 2 of the cores (#7 and #8) were registering the wrong core temperatures...namely, 1174470664 degrees and 2 degrees and running at the wrong speeds 2600 instead of 3000 and 4200 instead of 2600 compared to the other cores - see attachment !!

xeon-e5-2670.jpg

So, I'm guessing that the Xeon CPU fault might be the reason the Intel board wouldn't boot...but it is a long shot !!

re: TightVNC
I was using TeamViewer until I was judged to be using it "commercially" :-(

I'm now using AnyDesk, which works pretty well. Is TightVNC any betterer ??

regards
Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Chris,

I downloaded the installer in November 2016 and I don't normally download things to leave them sitting around so I imagine I've used it for a little over two years.

Never had any problems with it but then again I've not tried to do anything particularly demanding with it.

Connects, displays and controls other hosts both on the same wired network, via the router and via WIFI.

It can be configured to be accessed remotely but I haven't had any need for that.

Never had any nag screens or pop ups and I've got it running on eleven hosts. It's free and I don't think there's a commercial variant so that may be why.

Mark
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi TIm,

Good luck with your 'new' PC :)

They are great boards when they're working, 32 cores at 3GHz and running quite happily with a 550W PSU (I think I measured power draw as ~200W but I can't find the data now)

I still haven't managed to find the time to fault find my board yet, hopefully I should have some spare time in a couple of weeks. I'll make sure to check whether the CPU is running at a billion degrees!

Mark
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

That is very strange about the Xeon, I thought CPUs were pretty much blackboxs, and if none of the chip stuff (capacitors, etc) were damaged then it would work as normal. But as its showing faults across 2 mobos then obviously not.

I still have these 2x E5-2690V1's so at some point I will have to work out what to do with them (along with the 32GB RAM).

I would definitely be interested in what you both find re the Xeon and the Intel board(s).

I took a look at TightVNC and I think it could be somewhat of a nightmare to setup on Linux as its my understanding you have to setup a VNC server, but then also use software rendering via Linux Mint Cinnamon or whatever desktop you are using.

So far all the VNC type apps that I have seen (except TeamViewer, RealVNC, AnyDesk) won't work under Linux.

Also RealVNC, TeamViewer, and AnyDesk all seem to want over £300 per year to remote to upto 10 computers which is crazy.

If and when TeamViewer cuts me off I will try and get TightVNC working on Linux and Windows.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

The VNCserver is just the application really, you can configure it with view/access passwords but don't need to.

I think the main problem with remote access to Linux systems is that the remote connection is set up as it's own instance on the host so it's difficult to control other users instances.

I've had a quick Google and there seems to be loads of installation and setup guides for the process.

Once I've ran enough Gerasim then I'll be swapping over to Wanless on Linux so I'll give it a try then. It's going to be a couple of weeks at least though.

Mark
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

Okay that sounds like a plan then.. Thanks much appreciated.

Like I mentioned most CPU projects that I have run on Linux vs Windows has shown good improvements, including some GPU projects too.

I still have TeamViewer running, plus I have a 8 port USB/HDMI KVM which I could use instead of any VNC, so timing isn't critical or anything.