Kodak Bitcoin mining 'scam' evaporates

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Kodak Bitcoin mining 'scam' evaporates

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

This news was just published:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44845291

Looks like there's been some porky pies told on a couple of points:
#1: Its chief executive Halston Mikail detailed plans to install hundreds of the devices at the Kodak headquarters in Rochester, New York, to take advantage of cheap electricity offered by an on-site power plant.

He said 80 devices were already in operation.
rebuff: A spokesman for Kodak told the BBC: "While you saw units at CES from our licensee Spotlite, the KashMiner is not a Kodak brand licensed product. Units were not installed at our headquarters."
#2: In its promotional material, Spotlite said an up-front investment of $3,400 would generate earnings of $375 a month for two years by mining Bitcoin.
rebuff: "There is no way your magical Kodak miner will make the same $375 every month," wrote economist Saifedean Ammous, who pointed out that anybody taking the gamble would have made a loss on their investment.
Hope nobody was taken in by this "offer"...though, at $3,400 per month rental, I doubt it.

regards
Tim
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Re: Kodak Bitcoin mining 'scam' evaporates

Post by chriscambridge »

lol :lol:
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: Kodak Bitcoin mining 'scam' evaporates

Post by Woodles »

You mean I won't be getting my $375 each month?! :o :evil: :lol: