NVidia bans use of GTX GPUs in data centers

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

NVidia bans use of GTX GPUs in data centers

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

I just found this news item that NVidia are banning the use of GTX and Titan GPU products within data centers...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/03 ... rver_gpus/

At first I thought this might have a "knock-on" effect for BOINC, until I found the caveat:
Nvidia claimed it does not plan to ban non-commercial uses and research.

“We recognize that researchers often adapt GeForce and TITAN products for non-commercial uses or their other research uses that do not operate at data center scale. NVIDIA does not intend to prohibit such uses,” a spokesperson for the California chip architects said.
So, with luck, project uses of GTX/Titans within their own "research labs" will be let off...and "non-commercial use" (ie crunchers running BOINC) are OK too...

Phew !!

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: NVidia bans use of GTX GPUs in data centers

Post by Woodles »

Well there goes my plans to challenge Google! :twisted:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: NVidia bans use of GTX GPUs in data centers

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Well there goes my plans to challenge Google! :twisted:
Hi Mark

Yup - you'll be needing NVidia Teslas supposedly...and look at how expensive these are ;-)

regards
Tim