PC tech question

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
Havoc
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

PC tech question

Post by Havoc »

I have just repaired an old Intel P4 1.8Ghz Pentium chip system which I'm trying to get it working smoothly.

The bios settings are

User defined
CPU Internal Freq  258Mhz
External clock  100Mhz/  33.3Mhz
Multiplier factor   x8
CPU clock  2/3  (66.6Mhz)

RDRAM bus Frequency 6x

Flash bios page on boot up
Direct rambus/Host freq  615/129Mhz

It works but seems slow considering its a Intel P4 1.8Ghz chip and it says it'll take 40 hours to complete a Einstein project.  
I have a Intel P3 800Mhz chip which does the same project in 3 hours 30mins, Any advise on better settings please.

cheers
Temujin

Re: PC tech question

Post by Temujin »

Havoc wrote:It works but seems slow considering its a Intel P4 1.8Ghz chip and it says it'll take 40 hours to complete a Einstein project.  
I have a Intel P3 800Mhz chip which does the same project in 3 hours 30mins, Any advise on better settings please.
Only a guess I'm afraid.
boincmgr usually over estimates the 1st WU and gets more accurate the more WUs you process.
What does a quick calc on % done and time taken give you?
And, are you running the same science app on both of the above machines? Make sure your not comparing it to a machine thats running an opti app when the 1.8 is using a standard app.
Other than that......
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

It is it first time at crunching and using the latest boinc software 5.4.11 instead of my other machines using 5.4.9

Rough calc
2 hours to complete 9% thats slow.... John
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Einstein@Home has some massive WU's at the moment, just leave BOINC to it will re-work the estimates over time
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

20 hours sounds about right for the newer WU's - it'll drop further on your spec, my guess around 15 hours. My 500Mhz laptop does them in around 20 hours so yours should be around two thirds quicker.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Havoc

Post by Havoc »

I'm not so sure the bios settings are correct for that type of chip.

Just seems weird numbers, tried setting at

100 x 18 and it doesn't like it.

I'll try the intel site and see if I can get the correct settings.

As for the WU's being much larger, thats ok then..

Cheers guys
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: PC tech question

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Havoc wrote:I have just repaired an old Intel P4 1.8Ghz Pentium chip system which I'm trying to get it working smoothly.

The bios settings are

User defined
CPU Internal Freq  258Mhz
External clock  100Mhz/  33.3Mhz
Multiplier factor   x8
CPU clock  2/3  (66.6Mhz)

RDRAM bus Frequency 6x

Flash bios page on boot up
Direct rambus/Host freq  615/129Mhz

It works but seems slow considering its a Intel P4 1.8Ghz chip and it says it'll take 40 hours to complete a Einstein project.  

cheers

Hi "Havoc"

Irrespective of the actual settings, why not use the BIOS to reload the default settings?

Then you can see what's what and what should be correct.

If that doesn't work, remove the back-up battery (usually a small watch battery) and leave it for 24 hours.

Soon be sorted.

regards,

Tim