Info about Intel Xeon V1-V5 CPU's! (E5 & E7) + New AMD Chips (*Updated*)

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Info about Intel Xeon V1-V5 CPU's! (E5 & E7) + New AMD Chips (*Updated*)

Post by chriscambridge »

information on Intel Xeon and AMD EPYC Chips

[Sandy Bridge] Xeon E5 V1 (V0)

[Sandy Bridge] Xeon E7 V1 (V0)

[Ivy Bridge] Xeon E5 V2

[Ivy Bridge ] Xeon E7 V2

[Haswell] Xeon E5 V3

Haswell Xeon E7 V3

[Broadwell] Xeon E5 V4

[Broadwell] Xeon E7 V4

[Skylake] Xeon E5 V5

AMD EPYC

The rest of the article is just banter, Above is the information on Intel Xeon and AMD EPYC Chips
Last edited by chriscambridge on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 34 times in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: A full list for Xeon V3 CPUs - Number of Cores, All Core Speed, TDP,..

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Chris

I can't wait until the Skylake-SP CPU's (due out Q2 2017) become "old hat" and are available at silly (cheap) prices...

Specs: Xeon Platinum 8180 - 28 (56) cores running @ 2.5 GHz with turbo of 3.8 GHz. TDP is 246 Watts :-(

regards
Tim
chriscambridge

Re: A full list for Xeon V3 CPUs - Number of Cores, All Core Speed, TDP,..

Post by chriscambridge »

I have updated above for Xeon V1 (V0), V2, V3, V4 and V5 CPUs, both E5 and E7's.

--

I will chop below up at a future date and add the sections to the list for E5-46xx Series, and modify the existing list for E5-26xx series.

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: Info about Intel Xeon V1 (V0), V2, V3, V4, & V5 CPU's! (E5 & E7)

Post by Woodles »

Damn, just when I thought I'd finished building hosts for this year ... :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

Looking at the previous table, it seems there is a trend between the v1, v2 and v3 iterations, namely, decreasing the CPU speed, but increasing the number of cores and cache to compensate.

This means more "work" can be done, without the hindrance and energy waste of high TDP's.

Shame that Intel have only just twigged this (in more recent times)...I've been a advocate for multi-core PC's for ages, even since my first: a Slot 1 dual CPU using 2x Pentium 111, running at 800 MHz ;-)

I could have got hold of a dual CPU Pentium Pro 166 MHz board, but, (IIRC) at the time, only Windows NT 3.1 supported it, as Win 3.11 and then 95 only ran on a single core. And then MS shot themselves in the foot, as NT 3.1 didn't work on Pentium 11 CPU's :-(

I then got a dual core (HT) Pentium 4, running at 3.06 GHz which was my "office PC" for a long time and has only recently been "retired" ;-)

regards
Tim
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

It is my understanding that Intel hopes to merge the E5 (26xx and 24xx) and E7s, under Skylake V5 Xeons - so that you can run these Xeons in 2/4/8 socket motherboards. Although perhaps there may be a difference between Gold and Silver in terms of sockets.

My first PC, and the PC I did my first programming qualification in (an NVQ Level 2 in Software Production using the C Programming language), was Windows 3.11 (and DOS), on a Pentium, in 1992!
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Well you two started off at the high end then, my first PC was a proper IBM one and had an 8085 as it's CPU! No worries about TDP and cooling then :D

Of course in those days, 20MB of disc and 64kB of RAM was far more than you'd ever need!
Last edited by Woodles on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chriscambridge

Re: Info about Intel Xeon V1-V5 CPU's! (E5 & E7) + New AMD Chips (*Updated*)

Post by chriscambridge »

(moved)
Last edited by chriscambridge on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Well you two started off at the high end then, my first PC was a proper IBM one and had an 8085 as it's CPU! No worries about TDP and cooling then :D

Of course in those days, 20MB of disc and 64kB of RAM was far more than you'd ever need!
Hi Mark

I was only talking about my first "multi-core" PC. !!

Before that, about 1983, I started with a 80286 "clone", running at 10MHz. It came with 640kb of RAM, an orange Hercules compatible graphics card and a 5¼" floppy drive. From that I was able to boot with PC DOS 3.1.

My hobby at the time was "comms" so I got a 2400 baud internal (ISA card) modem and I could then peruse various bulletin boards. Shareware was available on lots of these BB's, so I soon built up a small collection of software so I could run various things...do you remember ProComm, Crosstalk or Hilgraeve HyperTerminal?

Plus others such as "As Easy As" which was a Lotus 123 clone and many more. Great fun esp when phone calls were cheaper after 6pm and downloads were in ZIP format and were in the tens or hundreds of kb's but still took ages....!!

That was then upgraded with a AST 2Mb Rampage 286/EGA "combined" Extended Memory and EGA graphics ISA board plus I splashed out on a NEC MultiSync monitor, a MFM HDD controller card and a Seagate 20Mb MFM hard drive.

The 20Mb drive soon filled up, and then came a 40Mb and after that PC mags started having CDROMs on their front cover, so I got one of the first Philips PC-CDROM drives.

ah...happy days !!!

regards
Tim
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

Well if we are talking about first, non-pc, computer's; mine was a BBC Micro B, in err around 1985; I was quite young so its hard to be exactly sure.

Notice the Cassette tapes which the software, games in my case, came on and had to be loaded from!

In terms of RAM and HD, who knows - I just know it had Manic Miner, Jetset Willy, and Monsters (microsoft games) on it!

A screenshot of Manic Miner!

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Chris

OK, so I can trump you there...first non-PC: Sinclair ZX81, with 1k of RAM. Then bought a 16kb RAMPack, which cost nearly as much as the ZX81. This was about 1983. (corrected as I over-remembered the actual RAM !!)

And it suffered the infamous "RAMPack wobble" - the RAMPack connected via a long edge connector on the ZX81 pcb, which was accessible via an open slot in the back. Trouble was: The pcb didn't have a proper socket - just the tinned tracks of the circuit board...and while the RAMPack had gold-plated contacts, they weren't exactly "resilient", so you'd be typing some code in and then the screen would go blank and the computer would reboot. And there was no way of "saving" data at any point if you wanted a break..and the only way to "save", was via a mono tape recorder (similar to the BBC one's).

Eventually, the service engineer where I worked took pity on me and hard-wired the RAMPack onto the pcb...via a multiway cable. That fixed it !!

I was then handed down my brothers original Spectrum 48k and I got a Prism VTX5000 modem (running at 7-E-0, and 1200/75 baud half duplex) for it. I then had a Prestel account and wanted to access MicroNet 800 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micronet_800 ), which was an early online "computer nerds" forum...Prestel was the mid-80's equivalent of CompuServe. Had lots of fun chatting up female Travel Agents on there, as they used it for booking peoples holidays online. Prestel looked very much like BBC Teletext, with the same low res "block graphics".

My brother loved Manic Miner and jet Set Willy...but he got bored with them as the game was never fast enough to keep his attention long enough - plus I don't think he took lightly to having to restart levels, when he lost.

I also got a Spectrum MicroDrive cartridge system to go with it which was great fun....and that "system" saw further light, when a colleague at work bought a ICL "One Per Desk" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Per_Desk which also used the MicroDrive cartridges...

hehehehehe - looking back now, those machines were dinosaurs, compared to what's available now....though, at the time they were (sort of) cutting edge, especially in terms of price.

regards
Tim
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

It was actually the ZX Spectrum that I wanted, with the rubber keys, however my parents thought it would be more educational for a 10 year if they got the BBC Micro. Ironically all I did in the end on the BBC Micro was play the same games I would have on the Sinclair.

I did try to do some BASIC programming but with no support, at aged 10 it was a bit beyond me!

Its crazy how computers have moved on. Who knows what the kids of today will think when they look back at current technology.