MS Project Scorpio :-)

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

MS Project Scorpio :-)

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

The specs have been released for the new X-BOX, under the code name Project Scorpio.
At the heart of the device will be a system-on-chip packing eight custom x86 CPU cores clocking up to 2.3GHz apiece, plus 40 (yes forty) GPU cores at 1172MHz apiece for a total of over six teraflops of graphics-crunching capacity. 12GB of GDDR5 RAM will enjoy memory bandwidth of 326GB/s. A 1.2TB hard disk and 4K Blu-Ray rounds things out.
More info here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/07 ... pio_specs/

Even more details here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... h-revealed

Could be a nice BOINC cruncher if the target price is met - around GBP400 perhaps?

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: MS Project Scorpio :-)

Post by Woodles »

So that's that same power as an i7 with a GTX1070?

I doubt you'll get it for £400, probably nearer £600 to make any money ... although the PS4 Pro will have it's price reduced before Scorpio ships :D

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: MS Project Scorpio :-)

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:So that's that same power as an i7 with a GTX1070?
Hi Mark

It certainly looks like it could be quite a good cruncher.

One assumes it might come with a version of Windows 10. If not, then I wonder how long it'll be until someone "hacks" its firmware to allow Linux or similar to run on it?
I doubt you'll get it for £400, probably nearer £600 to make any money ... although the PS4 Pro will have its price reduced before Scorpio ships :D

Mark
I think I did a typo and I should have put £500, as previous XBox machines have been introduced around the $499 price...and that means £499 !!

And no doubt it will come down in price in a year or so.

regards
Tim