Yafu and antivirus

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Yafu and antivirus

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Started getting errors with Yafu and the antivirus was blocking all access to the site. Tried all sorts to create exceptions to BOINC folders and URL - AVG just wouldn't have it.

So I uninstalled it and tried Avast. A bit concerned as some of it had exactly the same interface - and started to get the same again!
Tried Avira (why do they all start with av?) - that seemed to be okay but the system slowed to a crawl with continuous hard drive activity even after several hours! Out with that! Avira 'system speedup' would uninstall and had to do that manually from the directory!
Currently using Microsoft defender (after a regedit to allow it to work!). Things seem to have calmed down and working back as normal.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: Yafu and antivirus

Post by Woodles »

Hi Mike,

Sounds like a lot of fun .. NOT!

I like to live dangerously and don't have any anti virus on my home Boinc machines, they only contact project sites anyway so should be safe.

I've just checked here (work) with McAfee and it has no problems with the Yafu site. Same as Avast though, every now and then it decides to monopolise the hard disc and everything slows to a crawl. Not as much of a problem since I've installed a second disc and put Boinc on that, now it's only work stuff that slows down :D

Mark