Disk space?

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
wkdwill
UBT Contributor

Disk space?

Post by wkdwill »

Hi all,

A quick question,

I'm getting notifications from Boinc manager telling me that projects need more memory, in BM it tells me I have 6.26GB disk space available to Boinc,
yet I still get the messages.

Any idea if this is impacting my ability to crunch?

Will
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Disk space?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Will,

It's not "memory" that seems to be required, but disk space...BUT, according to the graphic, (and as you say) you have 6.26 Gb of space available, that BOINC Manager can use.

How is the disk drive formatted ? Is it with NTFS?

The only other thing I can think of is if you have (say) the 32 bit version of BOINC Manager and running on a 64 bit OS (like Win 7/8/10)?.
But then I'm running 32 bit XP and it has no issues accessing a 300+ Gb HDD.

Has the PC been switched off recently?
Can you try "resetting" those projects that do not yet have any tasks, thereby freeing up some disk space and see if that helps?

Maybe there's another BOINC Manager setting that has been changed accidentally ?

regards
Tim
wkdwill
UBT Contributor

Post by wkdwill »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for looking at this.

The OS is Mac OSX Sierra so the drive format is APFS (APple File System) which is a new file system (2016) and is 64 bit with encryption, the system hasn't been switched off for a few days, but there is plenty of space available 41.3GB and another 13.51GB that is purgeable, I will do a restart after I've finished doing my scripting work.

All my hosts are managed via Boinc Stats BM, each have their own work preference so I can tweak them individually, no recent changes to this hosts preferences, so I'm at a loss as to what could be causing the notifications, I'll keep an eye on it to see if it pops up again.

Thanks

Will
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Just check you haven't restricted the BOINC manager.
Advanced view
Options > computer preferances > disc and memory tab.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

I have no experience with the MAC OS but could it be something to do with read/write privileges? The space is there and Boinc can see it but it's not allowed to use it? Can Boinc use encrypted drives?

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:I have no experience with the MAC OS but could it be something to do with read/write privileges? The space is there and Boinc can see it but it's not allowed to use it? Can Boinc use encrypted drives?

Mark
Hi Mark & Will

I'm not a Mac user, but I know a little bit about them.

Firstly, MAC OS is very similar to Linux and hence when BOINC Manager is installed, the correct read/write privileges should be correctly set...and given that I am assuming that Wills issue is a recent problem and not due to it being a "new" installation, so, I would think that the Mac has been crunching OK until now, but this "problem" has cropped up since?

I think the encryption is "transparent" between the drive, the OS and BOINC Manager. However, if the HDD were removed and put onto a different platform, (either to boot another Mac machine, or used as a USB drive connected to anther machine) then the encryption would make the drive contents "nonsensical" and hence worthless.

Maybe Will can provide more info, in due course so we can help narrow down the issue?

Edit: Will seems to have 2 PCs running Darwin:

1) GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4980HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz [x86 Family 6 Model 70 Stepping 1]
(8 processors) + AMD AMD Radeon R9 M370X Compute Engine (2047MB) OpenCL: 1.2, INTEL Iris Pro (1536MB) OpenCL: 1.2 running Darwin

2) GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz [x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 10] (2 processors) (no GPU) running Darwin

BOINC Manager for both machines is 7.6.33.

My guess, is that it's the latter that might have the issue and might it be down to the much earlier version of Darwin?

regards
Tim
wkdwill
UBT Contributor

Post by wkdwill »

Hi all,

Sorry for long time before replying, been a bit manic here with other things.

This issue was on the i7 machine and you're right it isn't a new install, the issue seems to have gone away for now, I restarted the machine after posting on here and I haven't had any issues since :) it seems the OS knew there was space available but wasn't releasing it to BM :(

As for the encryption, I'm not sure and the HDD isn't removable as its solid state Image embedded on the motherboard.

I'll do some digging around tomorrow if I can find some spare time.

Thanks

Will
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

wkdwill wrote:Hi all,

Sorry for long time before replying, been a bit manic here with other things.

This issue was on the i7 machine and you're right it isn't a new install, the issue seems to have gone away for now, I restarted the machine after posting on here and I haven't had any issues since :) it seems the OS knew there was space available but wasn't releasing it to BM :(

Will
Hi Will

Sounds like the old "switch it off and switch it back on again" trick worked. :twisted:

That's the trouble with newer computing hardware...it is trying to do so much, plus there are more "on board" components, that sometimes one part of the mobo can't communicate with another part and hence things get messed up/out of step.

Glad it seems to be OK now.

regards
Tim