Advice req on Changing Graphics card when GPU WU is 1/2 way through?

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Advice req on Changing Graphics card when GPU WU is 1/2 way through?

Post by chriscambridge »

Hi Members,

I have a PrimeGrid GPU WU running, a Genefer 22 (worth about 600K credits), but I want to swap out graphic cards..

If I suspend the WU, close Boinc, shut the machine down and swap cards, and then start the machine and boinc, will PrimeGrid just continue to crunch this WU or will it fail?

Both GPU's are NVidia, a Quadro 4000 (to be removed) and a GTX 970 (to be inserted).

The task has been going for about 20 hours, but still has days left - so I do not really want to abort it, or wait for it to complete - unless it will fail otherwise.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Chris
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Re: Advice req on Changing Graphics card when GPU WU is 1/2 way through?

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

From previous experiance last week BOINC Manager will detect a change of spec and abort the WU. It may not report back to primegrid that it's done this and the WU will just show as 'in progress' and hang about until the deadline.

It's up to you - if you're desperate to find out what happens -change it but abort the WU first (and any others that are waiting to run also set to 'no new tasks'). If you decide to wait, abort any tasks that are waiting to run and set to no new task and wait for the WU to finish.

In the great scheme of things neither will matter too much!

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

Thank you Mike.

As it turned out I had no choice but had to just shut the machine down and install the new card.

When I restarted Boinc, it just continued to crunch all the work units as if nothing had changed!

Perhaps if the cards are the same manufacturer and 'GPU generation' then it can continue to crunch.

Or perhaps it will just fail before, or at the end..

I will update in a few days when I know if it completes, or not.

Thanks,

Chris
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Have a look in the stderr file and see how it identifies the GPU (if it did) If it's just has a generic "Nvidia" entry then probably it will work, if it's a specific family then you may be wasting your time. Good luck either way.
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

Thanks Mark.