Water Cooling - Story

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
Havoc
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Water Cooling - Story

Post by Havoc »

Recently a friend of mine upgraded to using a water cooling system as his pc kept topping 55C+ and locking/crashing and giving alarm warnings.
I also upgraded my main pc shortly afterwards as my old system decided to go bang one day.

After a few hours trying to figure out what had failed it was easier to just go and buy pretty much a whole new system as the psu had over loaded on two of three of the output feeds frying itself, motherboard, cpu and ram... So i decided to goto a newer model of cpu but lower value. 3.2 Ghz to a 2.8 GHz socket 775. Of course this also meant my old AGP graphics card also had to be replaced for a new PCI-E card but thats another story....

At the same time I also decided to go water cooled but took the budget option compared to my friend. A few days later I collected the piece parts and I laided it all out on the floor just so I knew I had everything first before starting.

An hour or so later it was built, I switched it on and allowed the water cooling system to pump away and remove all the air from itself as I carefully topped up the 5.25" tank as required, few minutes later and I'm ready to install all the new motherboard software and everything else....

Sitting back admiring how for once it seemed to easy and no problems when I noticed I have two water hoses coming out of the side of the case and not out the back...   :x  
So I drain it and relocate the hoses out the back and repeat to prime the system before firing up the PC proper & installing everything.

A few days go past when I happen to glance inside my case and can see bubbles in the tubing not moving, I took off the side panel and tap the tube and without warning the PC crashes big stlyle, alarms sound and my pc suddenly switches off.

After about 10 minutes I found the pump had failed, thankfully my friend has a spare and the next day I'm up and running again.

This got me thinking, the whole system is water tight and the cap on the tank is air tight and creates a good amount of pressure like a can of coke when opened.  I've checked every part of the system carefully and found nothing, no leeks so just to be safe I tighened every joint..
How the hell does an air tight, water tight, pressurised system loose about 30-40ml a week without leaving a pool of coolent some where or worse short out my pc.?

I'm sat in my chair pondering the problem sipping my coffee which my wife made me 10 minutes earlier and trying to explain this to my wife, when out of no-where my wife says ALIENS... (She had been watching Red Dwarf of course)

I lose all control of my mouth and a jet of coffee shoots out in a perfect arc up over the monitors front display and down perfectly on top of the rear of the monitor case, a few short moments later as I'm trying to recover myself there's a fizzling sound and the monitor shorts out and dies...

This just isn't my week !!

Jumping forward a few weeks to today, the monitor problems are terminal, Sweeten coffee is extremly high on the list of things not to allow to pour into a monitor and of course 24 inch CRT Hansol monitors which can go to 2048x1536 but I used 1600x1200 don't grow on trees and cost a fortune.

The Gas man rings the door bell to do a service on our boiler and central heating system and during this he decides he has to drain air out of one of the rads or something so I leave him to it...
20 mins pass when he then calls me, I walk down the stairs to see blankets every where. He starts to explain he had a few problems and he is very sorry... Being generally a calm sort of person and mostly easy going I say its only water it will dry off and if theres a stain not to worry the carpet needs to be cleaned properly anyway.

He then hands me a sheet of paper which is headed with the words claims procedure and explains that when he was draining the rad he tried to stop it suddenly so he tried to use his finger but the water was too hot and he caused a jet of water shoot out and hit the rear of the TV....

So if your still reading this, you can now see I'm begining to lose my sense of humour... As I try to order more coolent from my local provider but he is all out, the so called Black light LED's I bought to light up the UV tubes and liquid in my case are just purple coloured (see pic bottom left corner, the little purple dot).... and its not true UV Black light but it does look like the purple colour you get when using one of the frequencies of UV light, my main monitor is duff and my TV now needs to be dealt with.

Thankfully my TV should be fixable, and I only have a few bubbles flowing round as I proped up the feeder tank in my PC at a slight angle. But best of all I can smile about these sorts of things....

So in terms of compension I think I ought to find an ET signal or some thing from one of the cruching I am doing to make up for all the hassles I have had to deal with recently...

UPDATE

No matter how hard you try, you just can't tidy up in the insides of a pc :P

The tv only suffered a quick short circuit enough to blow a fuse and one other part, so all in all only cost £25.
Last edited by Havoc on Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Temujin

Re: Water Cooling - Story

Post by Temujin »

what a post, nice one
I feel for you mate, its not your day/week/month is it
I hope you get it all sorted
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Oh dear! Seems I have got a rival in the 'Just have to look at it and it breaks' stakes!

Bet you feel a lot better for sharing though!

I was always told that water and electrickery don't mix - you proved it!  :D

Hope things get better from here on in!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

jaysback

Post by jaysback »

I had a rig a few years ago now with one of the so called MAGIC XP1900 in.
That was a water cooled peltier and ran seti @ as i recall 5c flat out 24/7.
We went away for the weekend and i left it running. No biggy, done before.
Came home to find a black screen, nothing, dead as you like.
Couple of reboots later still nothing.
Big sinking feeling.
So sides off the case, undo the dangerden waterblock remove and its frozen. Yep, condensation got in and it frooze.
Undid the retaining arm pulled out my £115, 2 week old cpu and 2 pins stayed on the socket.
Now thats a case of "he's dead jim" in a star trek sort of way.

Could be the dead PC thread.