Blu-ray and upscale player

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
fellie
UBT Contributor

Blu-ray and upscale player

Post by fellie »

https://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/pag ... ct_ID/4449

Just ordered one . .... I did contemplate a ps3 for the same job ... but I can't justify another £100 so I can have another 'next gen dust collection device' sat dormant   :D

( although in hindsight, I could have used the ps3 to crunch )

Any thoughts  :?:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

It's got the 5 stars from 'What Hi Fi', so that means it's the best you can get for the price. I've never been let down by a 'What Hi Fi' review before! 8)  :D
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

Ditto, and superfi, although £10 inclusive more than the cheapest online supplier, sorted an issue with my new Mission M34i speakers a year or so back very efficiently ( no affiliation ) ..

Im a bit excited, maybe I should get my rear goddamn speakers set up lol.. 9 only lived here 2.5 years doh )
Ben

Post by Ben »

PS3  :P
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

Constructive as always Ben . thanks  :wink:

PS3 what exactly lol  :D
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

He ment to say PS£.....
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well, personally i would have gone for the PS3  :wink:

It can play CD/DVD/Blu-Ray
It can output in surround sound
You can install an OS and even BOINC on it
You can even browse the web with it
You can play games on it! :roll:

So I'd go for a PS3 simply because it has more features then a standard Blu-Ray player and plays a Blu-Ray movie brilliantly as a friend of mine has it set up.

Now an argument against that could be, well a Blu-Ray player is dedicated to just playing movies and is therefore better. Well.. Personally I think that is what a cow might drop as I have watched black hawk down in Blu-Ray with surround sound and it was brilliant.

Also, because the PS3 has built-in wireless and wired connections you can download new movie trailers onto it and even firmware updates for the Blu-Ray player to upgrade certain features or downloadable content.

So verdict is PS3 hands down for me  :D
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

It all depends on how much gaming fellie is likely to do, if he wants to crunch on it and if he would browse the web on it. If the answer to these questions are all no/not likely/never, then I'd go for the dedicated blu-ray player :D

(I love spending other folks money! :lol: )
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

Well I have a pc,

Then the kids have a ps2, xbox, ds lite, psp, a 360, a laptop,....... so browsing and gaming is well and truly covered ..

A dedicated blu-ray vs ps3 will be better ... the experts have said so :)

Another issue is the size, disc loading times and the noise of the ps3.. the 350 is the ' next gen in line from sony after the 300 ' all these factors have been adressed, its smaller, quieter, and has almost normal dvd player loading times; and it is upgradeable to a ver 2.0 full feature blu ray player via ethernet :D

Saying all dvd / blu ray players are the same is a no brainer .. else why have the top companies got 2 or 3 models out ...Sonys for instance start at £250 ( rrp for the 350 ) to over £1k  :shock:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Some good points. The PS3 is as you say a little bit on the noisy side sometimes, however I don't know anything about the loading time difference. My guess is that it isn't going to be much, or quicker on the PS3 with the 7 x 3.2Ghz processors available to crunch the data coming from the Blu-Ray drive.

As for different models... Well how else are they going to keep the money coming in?  :wink: Take an example. Cars. You may get an upgraded version which has a little bit extra HP and not a lot of actual changes and yet they may slap on another 5k to the asking price.

However, that is only my opinion. :)  I have looked at the player and it looks v.good!
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

I bought one of these a couple of months ago from amazon think it was about £170ish. Really good player, upgradeable through the ethernet port so permanently plugged into internet switch, can all use the live BD, download movie trailers and use the extra content over the net.

Time to get a 7.1 HDMI surround system me thinks