Damn....

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Damn....

Post by UBT - Timbo »

that's another PC PSU that's gone kaput.... :-(

Fortunately, it's only a 450W ATX jobbie, that Maplins were selling a couple of years ago for £20 each ;-)

But it looks like a bit more expense is required so I can get the PC back up and running.

Just have to hope the mobo, HDD and NVidia card are all OK. Have to wait until Monday to find out.

regards
Tim
nick
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Re: Damn....

Post by nick »

cheap psu's can be costly
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Whoops!

I have a Corsair 750 (think it's an RMi or an AXi) laying about doing nothing if you need to borrow a PSU for a while?

Regards,

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Whoops!

I have a Corsair 750 (think it's an RMi or an AXi) laying about doing nothing if you need to borrow a PSU for a while?

Regards,

Mark
Hi Mark

Thanks for the kind offer, but I'll be needing a couple of replacements so, let me see what I can get hold of and if I don't have much joy then I'll let you know.

One small issue is that I'm away for a few days towards the end of this week, so anything sent to me, will have to sit in the post office depot awaiting my collection for when I return next Monday. So, I doubt I can get the aforementioned PC back up and running before then anyways.

regards and thanks
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

nick wrote:cheap psu's can be costly
Yup - I have been upgrading my PC's PSU's over the last year or two....and this one had been doing great work for a long time now, so I thought it was a "good 'un".

Seems that wasn't the case and it's failed. But I'll make sure I find a "decent" one to replace it.

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Still, two years service for £20 almost makes them consumables :)

In a slightly similar PC related vein, I've just spent half an hour fitting quieter coolers to my Xeon rig then four hours re-aligning the fan directions, swapping airflow from blowing to sucking, fitting extra case fans, all to try and figure out why one of the CPUs was overheating whilst the other was fine.

It was only when I'd given up and went to re-fit the old coolers that I discovered I had only removed the protective sticky sheet from one of the heatsinks ... :oops:

Regards,

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Still, two years service for £20 almost makes them consumables :)
Hi Mark

I usually keep my PC's running 24/7 so they've seen a lot of electrons going through them over time...;-)
In a slightly similar PC related vein, I've just spent half an hour fitting quieter coolers to my Xeon rig then four hours re-aligning the fan directions, swapping airflow from blowing to sucking, fitting extra case fans, all to try and figure out why one of the CPUs was overheating whilst the other was fine.

It was only when I'd given up and went to re-fit the old coolers that I discovered I had only removed the protective sticky sheet from one of the heatsinks ... :oops:

Regards,

Mark
oops - indeed :-)

I got my little 12 core Xeon a while back and it too was overheating a bit more than I expected...I hadn't used any thermal paste which was the issue. Got some Arctic MX4 and Xeon is running much cooler now. (Though it's not running at all right now, for a different problem than PSU !!)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi Mark

I usually keep my PC's running 24/7 so they've seen a lot of electrons going through them over time...;-)
Hi TIm,

I thought everyone did that? :D
UBT - Timbo wrote:I got my little 12 core Xeon a while back and it too was overheating a bit more than I expected...I hadn't used any thermal paste which was the issue. Got some Arctic MX4 and Xeon is running much cooler now. (Though it's not running at all right now, for a different problem than PSU !!)

regards
Tim
Ah, I only got mine a couple of weeks back, a dual quad core, and I'd quickly got tired of the loud, steady drone from the original coolers so ordered some replacements. I was very careful doing the first one but of course, I knew what I was doing by the time the second one needed fitting ... :? It's happily crunching BURP WUs at the moment :)

Time to browse EBay again, if you're not going to use this PSU then I'd better find a home for it :twisted:

Regards,

Mark
nick
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by nick »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Woodles wrote:Still, two years service for £20 almost makes them consumables :)
Hi Mark

Regards,

Mark
oops - indeed :-)

I got my little 12 core Xeon a while back and it too was overheating a bit more than I expected...I hadn't used any thermal paste which was the issue. Got some Arctic MX4 and Xeon is running much cooler now. (Though it's not running at all right now, for a different problem than PSU !!)

regards
Tim
Which 12 core did you get? tim

and mark ive done that before too its one of those moments where you go man i am a dumb ass and thankful its not fried