Satellites in space

Add links or just chat about things you've found elsewhere on the web...or just add a "plug" for a local event happening near you...!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Satellites in space

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

I came across this, this afternoon and I've been fascinated by it....

So, do you wonder how much stuff there is, in orbit around planet Earth ?

This website shows you:

http://stuffin.space/

This might even become my (sort of) "screen saver" when viewed in a browser and then hit F11 to go full screen....it certainly beats watching anything on BBC1 or ITV ;-)

regards
Tim
UBT - PennyQ
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Re: Satellites in space

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

Sheesh! The number of bits of rockets up there apart from satellites...
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Satellites in space

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - PennyQ wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:55 am Sheesh! The number of bits of rockets up there apart from satellites...
Hi Penny

Indeedy - there's all sorts of 2nd and 3rd stage rockets up there, as well as lots of shrapnel, thanks to China blowing up one of their defunct satellites...

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/19/worl ... china.html

It's a wonder that more incidents haven't occurred yet...but what with Musk launching upto 12,000 internet satellites, plus other countries deciding to get into the space race, it won;t be long before a significant accident occurs. :-(

And of course, there's always the risk that they'll eventually be so much space junk up there, that nothing can leave Earth and humankind will stay Earthbound for decades, (or until someone starts up a business to collect or de-orbit what they can).

Of course, another option is to send up some sort of robot, that can collect and then recycle all the metals and plastics and then someone could build a nice new space station using these materials....after all, it took a lot of energy to put all that stuff up there in the first place !!

regards
Tim