BBC Contagion

Add links or just chat about things you've found elsewhere on the web...or just add a "plug" for a local event happening near you...!
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

BBC Contagion

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Not BOINC related but interesting nonetheless for 24 hours later this month and might be worth participating in...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/progin ... n-pandemic

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: BBC Contagion

Post by Woodles »

Hi mike,

Could be interesting, I'll have to wait and see what 'app' I need to download.

It'll only track female patients though, the first sign of flu and all the males will be laid up in bed unable to do anything! :D

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Mike

So, reading between the lines, Dr Hannah Fry will walk around Haslemere (a small town in Surrey I know well !!) and she'll somehow "infect" people nearby?

One assumes this will be via a mobile phone app that will maybe use GPS and Bluetooth to "hunt" for other people nearby, who have downloaded the app.

Good luck with that !! Haslemere is not that big and most locals tend to be mature (age wise), well off and less likely to be "tech savvy" and hence I can't see many people downloading the app, never mind actually knowing how to switch it on when they go shopping !.

Just a few miles away is Guildford, which is a university town, with a much larger target audience....so, I'd have gone there to start with.

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,

So what you're saying is that if a flu epidemic actually breaks out then I should head for Haslemere? :D

Sounds like a good place to go when the zombie invasion starts as well, "mature (age wise)" and "less likely to be tech savvy" means they shouldn't be much of a threat when infected :lol:

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:58 am Hi Tim,

So what you're saying is that if a flu epidemic actually breaks out then I should head for Haslemere? :D
Hi Mark

ONLY if you fancy a few days off from work, OFFICIALLY....though to be honest, it's easier to stay in bed, all nice and cosy, and bung some small lumps of tissue up your nostrils and then call in sick - at least you'll SOUND like you have flu to your immediate superiors ;-)

Then it's back to a nice mug of hot chocolate, and a nice DVD to watch - even some HobNobs too, if you've planned ahead ;-)
Sounds like a good place to go when the zombie invasion starts as well, "mature (age wise)" and "less likely to be tech savvy" means they shouldn't be much of a threat when infected :lol:

Mark
If the zombie invasion starts, I'll be heading down the pub - shades of "Shaun of the Dead" :-) 8-) - at least in my drunken stupor, I won't feel anything :shock:

regards
Tim