Bye Clarkson

Add links or just chat about things you've found elsewhere on the web...or just add a "plug" for a local event happening near you...!
UBT - Chris
Active UBT Contributor 5+ yrs

Bye Clarkson

Post by UBT - Chris »

After 13 years, Clarkson has (finally) been kicked out of the BBC :(

HE IS TOP GEAR! Despite all of the things he has done, the BBC made a mistake - he is still an amazing presenter!

BBC Story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31907458
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Chris,

There are many people who just don't get on with the "big bad boy" image that is Clarkson.

Personally I found him to be forthright, clever and intelligent enough to be amusing for the odd hour per week.

And I signed the petition in the hope that he would be re-instated, as originally he claimed not to have used any violence - just abusive words and threats.

It now appears, that the producer chap went to A&E after having been hit, presumably by Clarkson (as no-one else has been mentioned).

As such, Clarkson has, quite rightly, been sacked and won't work for the BBC again for a considerable time, if ever. Likewise, unless he shows immediate remorse for his actions, he won't get a job elsewhere and in fact, if North Yorkshire police pursue a case for assault, he could end up with a further issue to deal with.

No matter how good someone is at their job, violence in the workplace, and especially against the producer who has worked on the show for 10 years cannot be condoned.

Not only that, but it puts Hamster and Capt Slow in a difficult position...as if they stay with him, as a team, then they could be seen to be supporting his violent tendency...and don't forget that he punched Piers Morgan a while ago too....

I think Clarkson needs to find a nice warm, sunny place (with all his millions), and go and live there for 5 years and stay out of the limelight.

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

True, Tim, but surely someone like Channel Four or ITV will snap him up - he will make them money...
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris wrote:True, Tim, but surely someone like Channel Four or ITV will snap him up - he will make them money...
Hi Chris,

The problem for any firm that want to hire him, is to give him a "vehicle" that would suit him.....Top Gear suited him down to the ground, as the money the BBC made, helped pay for all these excursions to other countries doing daft things.

And the sad truth is that the Top Gear brand is what sold to 200+ countries around the world...and the format was sold as well....and Clarkson sold off all his rights to this just a couple of years ago for about £8 million....if he'd held onto that, he could have taken Top Gear to a different broadcaster.

So, unless someone invents a car show (or he takes over on 5th Gear for instance) there isn't a program he can slip into. The BBC did a series called "Clarkson" about 15 years ago, where he interviewed people - but it didn't go down well and it got caned.

And without the marketing clout of "BBC Top Gear" for DVD's and selling the program to other countries, no UK-centred channel can afford to do the sorts of stunts that Top Gear has done....nor would they be able to afford his salary.

And besides, who'd want to employ someone who thumps his loyal staff ?

I think it's time he went back to stuffing Paddington Bear toys (as his family did many years ago which helped to pay for his schooling).

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Oh, well - he was good while he lasted... And about the bit where you said that nobody else could afford his salary, couldn't ITV?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris wrote:Oh, well - he was good while he lasted...
Hi Chris,

Absolutely :) I've really enjoyed some of their pranks although some things were quite cringeworthy and embarrassing too. I loved their caravan escapades, the car football tournaments, and the times when they were given a few pounds to buy and then modify a vehicle to do a certain job, like cross the English channel, or (this series) become an ambulance - seeing May "launch" patients into the A&E dept of a hospital had me in stitches...
And about the bit where you said that nobody else could afford his salary, couldn't ITV?
If they felt that hiring JC would bring them more revenue, then they might...but what programme would you lump him in.....and if May and Hammond are part of the deal, then you've just trebled the outlay....

It might work for ITV if they just got the three of them to do specials every month or two, on a certain theme as they seem to like doing them. "Clarkson, May & Hammond: Driving a 50 ton tank to the South pole" - that would be a go-er !!

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Well, apparently Hammond and May are quitting Top Gear too now Clarkson's gone (not sure how true that is), but if it's true, ITV would quite likely do something with them...
It might work for ITV if they just got the three of them to do specials every month or two, on a certain theme as they seem to like doing them. "Clarkson, May & Hammond: Driving a 50 ton tank to the South pole" - that would be a go-er !!
Now that, I would watch! :D