E-Day 27th Feb - UK homes urged to 'leave it off'

Add links or just chat about things you've found elsewhere on the web...or just add a "plug" for a local event happening near you...!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

E-Day 27th Feb - UK homes urged to 'leave it off'

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

There's a good article here where support is being requested for UK people to switch off any unnecessary electrical equipment for one day, which is for 24 hours, as from 1800 GMT on 27th Feb 2008.

Apparently, the National grid and others will be monitoring electricity consumption on the day, to see if it has any effect.

Anyone fancy having a co-ordinated "No Crunching Day" (on the day) in support of this?

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

I'l turn the lights off and my monitors but no way am i turning my chips off  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

I don't even know how to switch my computers off :?
Besides me thinks I have enough "Energy efficeient (A+)" stuff in my flat to help save electric.
Switching off stuff when not in use (no standby useage from me!)

And besides if I was to switch my computers off, the lack of noise would drive me insane!
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

And i'd have to use the central heating, So working it out 7 radiators keeping the house warm or byproduct of scientific research to make mankinds life better ...........Chips win  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Yeah that's true.
Since I would have to use Electric heaters to keep warm......
cris keys

Post by cris keys »

Sorry the exhaust keeps my feet warm   :oops: but the rest of the house I am going do my best, as always :D
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

It's all getting moot point or just "the latest silly fad".
As all the PSU's I own are 85% efficient.
Mothereboard makers are all claiming their new "toys" help cut down the cost or running your system.
New CPU's are a heck of a lot more efficient than they used to be.

Besides if Mr Government were to make energy saving light bulbs VAT exempt, Me tinks they would become a bit more tempting to more peeps!

P.S the Sony 10 year guarntee ones are great, had them for 6 years now, and only had to get 1 replaced (free of charge :) )
Naon

Post by Naon »

I got to agree that i will be turning off all monitors, sound card, mixers , amp, decks and all other audio hardware..

But the HD stays on and keeps crunching !!!

No lights - No TV - No Music...... (Think i will go the pub, Then)
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

There's a good article here where support is being requested for UK people to switch off any unnecessary electrical equipment for one day, which is 27th Feb 2008.

Apparently, the National grid and others will be monitoring electricity consumption on the day, to see if it has any effect.
Do you think it's anything to do with the report that we have not got enough power stations and the forecast is regular black outs by 20011/12 ??

All i can say is another case of greed ......Lets not invest and pay the fat cats more ??
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

bump !!

E-Day is tomorrow and the day after.....!

E-Day will run for 24 hours from 1800 GMT on 27 February

Wonder what difference (if any) it'll make ???

regards

Tim
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

UBT - Timbo wrote:bump !!

E-Day is tomorrow and the day after.....!

E-Day will run for 24 hours from 1800 GMT on 27 February

Wonder what difference (if any) it'll make ???

regards

Tim
Easy at 18:01 on 28th Feb a whole load of tree hugging hippie girlfriends/boyfriends are gonna be dumped.
At 18:02 the powergrid will melt as all the old peeps switch their Pentiums/AMD K6-2's back on, so they can get back to hoyle board games
19:45 The russians invade, and thanks to the hippies we are spammed!
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

Ive bought my missus a book,  and a thick jumper .. so she doesnt get cold or bored once the tv and heating is off for the day :D

Upon further inspection of my household, I have decided to also buy her a bottle of fairy liquid, so the dishwasher can get a rest... and I might even let her have a day off the vacuuming.

Im sure she's thankful the mower is petrol...

my cpu will be crunching ..  :)
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

fellie wrote:Ive bought my missus a book,  and a thick jumper .. so she doesnt get cold or bored once the tv and heating is off for the day :D

Upon further inspection of my household, I have decided to also buy her a bottle of fairy liquid, so the dishwasher can get a rest... and I might even let her have a day off the vacuuming.

Im sure she's thankful the mower is petrol...

my cpu will be crunching ..  :)
And you were married how long?
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

fellie wrote:and I might even let her have a day off the vacuuming.
What's wrong with buying her a dustpan and brush? :wink:

(Don't tell her I said that! :shock: )
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

lol.... 12 years in April :)

truth of the matter is .. I do all the housework / gardening / car stuff etc tec :D

and Im damn proud that I do  :roll:  :D
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Good Man! :D

(Don't tell my Wife I said that! :shock: )
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Well, what a damp squid "E-Day" is turning out to be...!

If you go here, you'll see that at present, (11:30pm) despite all the fanfares and hoo-har, people in the UK are actually using MORE leccy (around 1.5%), than we were "normally"....

So, whoever came up with this hare-brained scheme will probably be getting the sack soon !!

regards

Tim
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Guess not then

By showing the cumulative effects of millions of peoples’ energy saving efforts, over a specific time,
we hope individuals will decide that it is worth their time and effort to leave off electrical items, and that they can help
to make a difference by reducing greenhouse gas emissions and helping to tackle climate change.
Sir Cracked of the Mind
KWSN team member

Post by Sir Cracked of the Mind »

What a waste of our tax £'s, string the stupid twit up, I say...
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Are they daft ?...... I like using electric ,My gas fire goes on when im cold and  
i will Keep buying the best value white goods .

If i wanted to live without using power id move to mid wales,Build a mud hut and change my name to Jethro   :lol:
PMSL +4.8% :P
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

E-Day did not succeed in cutting the UK's electricity demand. The drop in temperature between Wed 27 Feb and Thurs 28 Feb days probably caused this, as a result of more lights and heating being left on than were originally predicted.

It was cold so we should have used alot more than +0.1%  electric ???  
But we didn't so the E Day worked ????
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: