Issues affecting general access to internet

Add links or just chat about things you've found elsewhere on the web...or just add a "plug" for a local event happening near you...!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Issues affecting general access to internet

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

Has anyone else been suffering issues connecting to popular websites like Facebook, CNN, bbc.co.uk, etc?

I know that "Fastly" - an edge based cloud provider (who basically cache many websites in data centres near to where people are based, thereby lightening the "load" on the websites actual servers) had a big issue yesterday morning, due to a configuration issue (ie some numb-nut edited something or uploaded a new software patch) and that took out some of the hardware used...and it seems to have affected people in many countries, including the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57413224

In my case I'm getting issues on some websites (that will not load their homepage at all) and on others it appears to affect only some pages.

The fault has been found and rolled back, BUT I guess it is taking it's time to re-cache and re-populate each and every affected website.

It just goes to show that a minor spanner in the works and the so-called "resilience" of the internet is found to be a myth !

regards
Tim
wbiz
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Re: Issues affecting general access to internet

Post by wbiz »

I saw that report but I didn't notice anything up here.

One of my SQL databases in London had an extremely rare short outage according to the logs but I can't see how that was anything to do with the rest of the internet so I just put it down as coincidence.