Formula-BOINC Sprint #1 22nd-25th March 2018

News and Announcements about BOINC, the Team and its Members (including Members birthdays, etc). This section can be used to note progress made (or hoped for) on specific projects. Team Crunchathons are announced here too.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Formula-BOINC Sprint #1 22nd-25th March 2018

Post by UBT - Timbo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi all

The FIRST Sprint for 2018 is coming...

The announcement of this particular project Sprint will be made at 1pm GMT on Wednesday 21st March and the Sprint itself starts at 1pm on Thursday 22nd and runs until 1pm on Sunday 25th.

Some new projects have been selected for this years Championship and some others have been dropped.

As usual, try to reduce your cache of your normal projects in the run up to the announcement and then make sure you are joined to the project and joined to the Team, so that you can start crunching soon after the announcement has been made.

(In recent years, quite a few teams have been "bunkering" (or stockpiling) credits before the "official" start and uploading the results after it has started...they do this by downloading plenty of tasks in advance, and then switching off network access (within BOINC Manager) so that any completed tasks are not uploaded.

Once the Sprint starts, then you can change the setting in BOINC Manager so that network access is then "allowed"...and all the credits from the previous day will count towards the Sprint team totals.

regards
Tim

Woodles
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #1 22nd-25th March 2018

Post by Woodles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:55 pm

That's sufficient notice to stockpile work from ALL the projects just in case :D

Now if only the deadlines were long enough ...

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:13 pm

Woodles wrote:That's sufficient notice to stockpile work from ALL the projects just in case :D

Now if only the deadlines were long enough ...
Hi Mark

IIRC, CPDN has the longest deadlines...but their tasks also take the longest time...and then it's going to be a question of being selected for a Sprint...which won't happen (unless CPDN release some special short deadline tasks).

What I wanted for Xmas is a massively scaled up PC, which could crunch thousands of tasks from lots of projects and then upload all of them 1 hour before the end of each Sprint. Oh wait...I think I've (almost) just described the Gridcoin team...!! :oops:

Mind you, I doubt I could afford the leccy bills :-(

regards
Tim

Woodles
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor

Post by Woodles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:39 pm

Hi Tim,

I'm going to have a look at last years sprints and see if that gives me any ideas. I'll also be building up a cache of unreported tasks from any running projects before the sprint is announced just in case that project is selected.

Ah, but if the tasks need to be validated by a wingman, one hour might not be enough time.

Mark

(Project list and signup information here - viewtopic.php?f=94&t=6177&p=118585#p118585)

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:55 pm

Woodles wrote:Hi Tim,

I'm going to have a look at last years sprints and see if that gives me any ideas. I'll also be building up a cache of unreported tasks from any running projects before the sprint is announced just in case that project is selected.
Hi Mark

That's a good point...if the deadline for any "current" projects is after the deadline for any specific Sprint deadline then it makes sense to suspend them maybe or switch off network access....

The issue is, you would need to build up a good cache of work from various projects and once suspended, you cannot get any more tasks from the "suspended" projects. And of course some projects limit the number of tasks you can cache :-(

So, it'll be a juggling act, micro-managing the projects in the week or so, up to the announcement... :-(
Ah, but if the tasks need to be validated by a wingman, one hour might not be enough time.

Mark
Yup - we'd need to check each chosen project for the Sprint to see what the quorum was for their tasks. Obviously, for those projects with a quorum of 1, you can upload at any time, almost up to the end of the Sprint, and depending on the "validation queue" :-)
(Project list and signup information here - viewtopic.php?f=94&t=6177&p=118585#p118585)
Thanks for that - you've saved me a job, as I was thinking of doing just the same - very useful indeed... :-)

regards
Tim