Formula-BOINC Sprint #16 5th-8th Oct 2017

News and Announcements about BOINC, the Team and its Members (including Members birthdays, etc). This section can be used to note progress made (or hoped for) on specific projects. Team Crunchathons are announced here too.
UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

Formula-BOINC Sprint #16 5th-8th Oct 2017

Postby UBT - Timbo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:09 am

Hi all

We're getting close to the end of this years FB Sprints - just 5 more to go (including this one !!).

The announcement of this particular project Sprint will be made at 4pm BST on Wednesday 4th October.

This is the list of projects it could be:
BURP
Citizen Science Grid
Cosmology@home
DENIS@Home - project now reporting it is inactive until 2018
Enigma@home
FiND@Home
GPUGrid (GPU)
PRIMABOINCA
PrimeGrid (GPU)
SRBase
The dDM-Project
TN-Grid
Universe@Home
VGTU@home
Wanless Mersenne +2

regards
Tim

Woodles
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #16 5th-8th Oct 2017

Postby Woodles » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm

No work from BURP, DENIS, FIND or TN-Grid. Wanless is Linux only.

I reckon we're overdue a GPU sprint so I'm going for PrimeGrid since they're a major project in BOINC and would be expected to have a sprint during the year.

Mark

Woodles

Postby Woodles » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:25 am

Not much of a break is there, I'm still validating the few Leiden that I got for the last sprint! :o

You can cross Leiden off the list (obviously), DENIS has reported that they're not producing any more work until next year so they're out as well, I'm still sticking with Primegrid as my predicted project :)

Mark

UBT - Chris Suddick

Postby UBT - Chris Suddick » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:24 pm

Woodles wrote:Not much of a break is there, I'm still validating the few Leiden that I got for the last sprint! :o

You can cross Leiden off the list (obviously), DENIS has reported that they're not producing any more work until next year so they're out as well, I'm still sticking with Primegrid as my predicted project :)

Mark

Mark, I'm not sure you can discount DENIS. Leiden was in pretty much the same boat but they chose it - a decision that seems not to have gone down well anywhere. It was really miffing to see us pipped by about a thousand points whilst sitting on the sidelines twiddling my thumbs.

Chris.

Woodles

Postby Woodles » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:54 pm

Hi Chris,

I was going by this message from the projects owner - http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/forum_thread.php?id=156#1320
Unfortunately, due to other research and teaching commitments, I cannot now devote enough time to the project to be ready and re-generate results. So I had decided to stop it temporarily. I hope to restart the project in January or February (2018).

Leiden at least was producing some work albeit very little and not easy to get, DENIS has been down for several months.

I don't think anyone thinks that Leiden was a good choice of project ... apart from maybe SUSA :D

I agree, it was very galling to be beaten by less than a thousand points (about 35 cpu hours, less than half a day on an i3) when other team members couldn't join in and those that could had nothing to crunch. It wasn't helped either when the work had actually been done but it wasn't validated until after the sprint was over.

I guess though if it had been a better supplied and available project then the result might have been the same position wise just with larger credit numbers.

That's another reason that I'm expecting Primegrid to be chosen, no restrictions on new members and always plenty of work.

Mark

UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:35 pm

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote:It was really miffing to see us pipped by about a thousand points whilst sitting on the sidelines twiddling my thumbs.

Chris.

Hi Chris

Indeed - I'd been able to remote log in to my Xeon 32-core PC to switch it to Leiden - only to then find that there was not enough work for it and so I had to allow work from other projects, as otherwise the leccy would have been wasted.

Such a shame that FB chose such a project - there was no real benefit for anyone doing Leiden during a short period of time...other than wasting CPU power that could have been used elsewhere. :-(

regards
Tim

UBT - Chris Suddick

Postby UBT - Chris Suddick » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Methinks they have munged editting the banner header for the FB site which announces the sprint project. At the moment their whole site is inaccessible.

Chris.

Woodles

Postby Woodles » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi Chris,

It was like that last sprint as well. I think there's an automatic script set up to change the banner but someone's forgotten to upload the project name!

Last time it was fixed in about ten minutes though, not left like that for an hour. Hope they fix it soon, I have to go out in half an hour!

Mark

UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi all

oops !!! Looks like the FB Sprint announcement might not happen until they fix the website. :-(

regards
Tim

UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi all

The chosen project is GPU Grid - so time to get your GPU's nicely warmed up :-)

EXCEPT: I got this report in my logs:

04/10/2017 19:14:29 | GPUGRID | No tasks are available for Short runs (2-3 hours on fastest card)
04/10/2017 19:14:29 | GPUGRID | No tasks are available for Long runs (8-12 hours on fastest card)
04/10/2017 19:14:29 | GPUGRID | Project has no tasks available

regards
Tim

UBT - Mikee

Postby UBT - Mikee » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:33 pm

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi all

The chosen project is GPU Grid - so time to get your GPU's nicely warmed up :-)

EXCEPT: I got this report in my logs:

04/10/2017 19:14:29 | GPUGRID | No tasks are available for Short runs (2-3 hours on fastest card)
04/10/2017 19:14:29 | GPUGRID | No tasks are available for Long runs (8-12 hours on fastest card)
04/10/2017 19:14:29 | GPUGRID | Project has no tasks available

regards
Tim

HI
Same here - just looked at the server status...

'Tasks ready to send 1'

Seems like the cupboard is empty!

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Mikee

Postby UBT - Mikee » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:05 pm

Update

Just managed to get 2 12 hour WUs

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:21 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:Update

Just managed to get 2 12 hour WUs

Mike

Hi Mike

Same here - just got 2x "8-12 hour" tasks...wonder if once these are returned, if more will be downloaded? or whether, like some other projects you just get one task to crunch, plus one task in reserve, per GPU ?

So, I should get at least 4, which is something. Might have to suspend them so that they are "counted" shortly after the Sprint starts ;-)

regards
Tim

Woodles

Postby Woodles » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:21 pm

Oh great, another sprint project with no work to do! :( :evil:

Managed to grab three tasks before they all disappeared.

Luckily (?) they're all 12 hour ones so learning from Leiden, I'm going to let them run until the morning then if I don't have a full cache I'm going to suspend the project until tomorrow night so at least I've got three tasks to report.

Hopefully I'll have a full cache by then :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Mark

Woodles

Postby Woodles » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:31 am

Hi All,

Slightly better than Leiden, perhaps due to the smaller number of tasks required, and I've managed to mostly fill up (one host still with no work)

Seems we're limited to one active task and one waiting task per GPU. Still, if they're going to take 12 hours each then that should be enough until the Sprint officially starts :)

Mark

UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:18 am

Hi both

So, I eventually got 4 tasks for my twin-GPU PC :-) All were the supposedly 12 hour tasks, but 2 finished within 4 hours !! The other two look like they'll finish after about 10 hours - but PC is "suspended" from having network access so, once the Sprint officially starts, then these 4 tasks will be uploaded. ;-)

I guess this is going to be yet another case of "luck" playing a part, depending on who can get any available work...and if one can't build up a cache of tasks, then it'll be a lottery as to who earns the most points (and hence FB points).

regards
Tim

Woodles

Postby Woodles » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:58 am

Hi Tim,

I hope these tasks are nearly 12 hours as I couldn't suspend one of my hosts since it started it's only task at 5AM. It's got four now and with any luck, they'll finish after 4PM and count towards the sprint. Everything else either has a full set of tasks and no network or no tasks! Besides, the 12 hour tasks pay so much better :D

I think you're correct and it's going to be another pot luck sprint with whoever requests work at the correct time winning :(

I'm away oop North for a long weekend from tonight so I've left my hosts asking for work every five minutes and I'll turn the network back on before I go. Hopefully that'll be good enough.

Mark

Woodles

Postby Woodles » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:04 am

Worth noting for anyone caching workunits:
DEADLINES
The server deadline is 5 days. The server assigns 50% more credits if you return within 24 hours and 25% more credits within 48 hours.

Don't hang on to completed work for more than 24 hours after it was sent unless you have to. (Although 125% credit after 25 hours is still better than 150% credit after 23 hours if the latter return was before the sprint started :D)

Mark

chriscambridge
UBT Contributing Member

Postby chriscambridge » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:39 pm

Hopefully I will be able to attend this sprint, I am just waiting for some 20+ hour Yafu tasks to complete so I can remove my GRC account and add my BAM account.

Once that is done you will have an extra three/four 1080's crunching GPUGrid.
Chris Cambridge is my old account; I am currently crunching through a private new account.

UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:40 pm

Woodles wrote:Hi Tim,

I hope these tasks are nearly 12 hours as I couldn't suspend one of my hosts since it started it's only task at 5AM. It's got four now and with any luck, they'll finish after 4PM and count towards the sprint. Everything else either has a full set of tasks and no network or no tasks! Besides, the 12 hour tasks pay so much better :D

I think you're correct and it's going to be another pot luck sprint with whoever requests work at the correct time winning :(

Hi Mark

No worries - I got my 4 tasks about 9pm last night so they will be uploaded shortly after the sprint officially starts :-) Then I'll just do like yourself and keep requesting tasks :-)

Woodles wrote:I'm away oop North for a long weekend from tonight so I've left my hosts asking for work every five minutes and I'll turn the network back on before I go. Hopefully that'll be good enough.

Mark

Have a great time and take care - if you are heading via M6, and passing J15, then give me a wave as you pass !! (And shortly after that, you're most likely to be delayed by the roadworks from J16-J19, so take a good book with you and a flask of tea/coffee !!)

regards
Tim

Return to “BOINC & Team News, Announcements and Progress”