Formula-BOINC Sprint #12 24th-27th August 2017

News and Announcements about BOINC, the Team and its Members (including Members birthdays, etc). This section can be used to note progress made (or hoped for) on specific projects. Team Crunchathons are announced here too.
UBT - Timbo
admin

Formula-BOINC Sprint #12 24th-27th August 2017

Postby UBT - Timbo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi all,

The next sprint won't be until towards the end of August...so plenty of time to generate some credits on your own favourite projects, or maybe, (better still), follow Marks "strategy postings" (link just below and then page advance to the newest posting) where he lists the most likely projects where we can move up the individual project rankings, thereby generating more FB points and hence we can then put pressure on Planet3DNow! and BOINC@Poland :-)

http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/newforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5982

You can check our overall FB progress here:

http://formula-boinc.org/index.py?year=2017&lang=

And, about 11pm (BST) on 23rd August, we'll find out which is the chosen project for the above weekends Sprint :-)

regards
Tim

UBT - Timbo
admin

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #12 24th-27th August 2017

Postby UBT - Timbo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:26 am

Hi all

Just over a week to go until we find out the chosen project for the 12th Sprint. :-)

I bet you've all been missing the challenge ;-)

regards
Tim

Woodles
UBT Contributing Member

Postby Woodles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:17 am

Hi Tim,

UBT - Timbo wrote:I bet you've all been missing the challenge ;-)

It has been a bit quiet :lol:

Mark

UBT - Mikee
UBT Contributing Member

Postby UBT - Mikee » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi

Primaboinca just came back online, so that's me kept busy for a while and it's a candidate for a sprint, though Mr. Woodles won't like it!

I won't be here for the 31/08/2017 - 03/09/2017 sprint. I might keep the PC running and try and see if I can get Teamviewer to switch tasks from overseas, don't see why not as it works from the Hudl tablet.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Woodles
UBT Contributing Member

Postby Woodles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi Mike,

True, Primaboinca is the only project left that I definitely wouldn't participate in. There's a couple of others that I haven't crunched before and I'd have to decide whether we stood any chance in them before starting a new project. I'm sure UBT would be just fine without me though, I'll go off and crunch something else.

I've never used Teamviewer so can't help with that. What I do if I'm going to be away is set up two profiles on the project website, one that won't get any work (only enable work fetch for a non existent GPU for example) and one normal one that will get work. Then enable the project but set my host to the profile that won't get work. All you need to do then is log on to the project and change the hosts profile when you want work (and back again when you don't) You need to run a small cache though or else downloaded work will carry on instead of the new project.

Mark

UBT - Timbo
admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:56 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:Hi

Primaboinca just came back online, so that's me kept busy for a while and it's a candidate for a sprint, though Mr. Woodles won't like it!

Hi Mike

Thanks for the heads-up...I quite like PrimaBoinca, as they have always had tasks available which keeps me happy if a project has work all the time.

UBT - Mikee wrote:I won't be here for the 31/08/2017 - 03/09/2017 sprint. I might keep the PC running and try and see if I can get Teamviewer to switch tasks from overseas, don't see why not as it works from the Hudl tablet.

Mike

Hope you have a safe journey to your overseas destination - somewhere nice and warm no doubt !!

re: teamviewer
It's one thing to use the Hudl on your home network - quite another to run it from somewhere else...

So, you might find it tricky to use Teamviewer from abroad, unless you can "open" certain ports on your router *and* your router WAN IP address stays the same....otherwise, the Hudl (or any other computer) won't find your PC. !!

And if the router reboots while you are away and it is allocated a new IP address then you will be stuck (as you won't know what the new IP address is).

TBH, I think Marks solution is much easier, if you are abroad - as it enables you to use ANY PC - even a smartphone, and to log into your account on a specific BOINC project and select/deselect specific tasks to be downloaded.

It'll take a little bit of "thought" first - mainly to visit each project website and DISABLE any work to be downloaded (by unticking the "allow CPU" and "allow GPU" tasks) - and then, using BOINC Manager, select each project to "allow new work". Of course none will be downloaded as each project has already been set (on the project website "preferences") not to download any. !!

And then all you need do is to log on to a specific project website and then put a tick in the box to "allow CPU" (or GPU) tasks accordingly. :-)

On the other hand, you can maybe forget all about it and just have a great time away from it all, as it is supposed to be a holiday !!!!!! :dance: :-)

regards
Tim

nick
UBT Contributing Member

Postby nick » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:25 am

I use TeamViewer everywhere to manage my PC's it's super simple to setup and as long as you have a remote client you can connect I have tested this on the road in the USA and the few places in the continent I have been to access all my PC's as long as your internet connection is up and your pc is on you will have no issues. I even use it to be tech support for my family.

UBT - Timbo
admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:55 am

nick wrote:I use TeamViewer everywhere to manage my PC's it's super simple to setup and as long as you have a remote client you can connect I have tested this on the road in the USA and the few places in the continent I have been to access all my PC's as long as your internet connection is up and your pc is on you will have no issues. I even use it to be tech support for my family.

Hi Nick

So, does Teamviewer use their website/servers as a "bridge" between the remote location and the "home" PC? (rather than making a direct connection from remote to "home" PC?).

regards
Tim

nick
UBT Contributing Member

Postby nick » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:15 am

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Hi Nick

So, does Teamviewer use their website/servers as a "bridge" between the remote location and the "home" PC? (rather than making a direct connection from remote to "home" PC?).

regards
Tim

I am not sure I think they use the client more as a dynamic name server as local connections transfer files at network speed but I could be wrong maybe they use a bridge for the initial handshake. been using it for 10 years now they have come a long way. if it was cheaper to buy the business version I would help dev along but they are too expensive for me to do that. the best thing is it works on almost anything with mac windows Linux android and ios apps for remoting to and from.

Return to “BOINC & Team News, Announcements and Progress”