Formula-BOINC Sprint #12 24th-27th August 2017

News and Announcements about BOINC, the Team and its Members (including Members birthdays, etc). This section can be used to note progress made (or hoped for) on specific projects. Team Crunchathons are announced here too.
UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

Formula-BOINC Sprint #12 24th-27th August 2017

Postby UBT - Timbo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi all,

The next sprint won't be until towards the end of August...so plenty of time to generate some credits on your own favourite projects, or maybe, (better still), follow Marks "strategy postings" (link just below and then page advance to the newest posting) where he lists the most likely projects where we can move up the individual project rankings, thereby generating more FB points and hence we can then put pressure on Planet3DNow! and BOINC@Poland :-)

http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/newforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5982

You can check our overall FB progress here:

http://formula-boinc.org/index.py?year=2017&lang=

And, about 11pm (BST) on 23rd August, we'll find out which is the chosen project for the above weekends Sprint :-)

regards
Tim

UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #12 24th-27th August 2017

Postby UBT - Timbo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:26 am

Hi all

Just over a week to go until we find out the chosen project for the 12th Sprint. :-)

I bet you've all been missing the challenge ;-)

regards
Tim

Woodles
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor

Postby Woodles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:17 am

Hi Tim,

UBT - Timbo wrote:I bet you've all been missing the challenge ;-)

It has been a bit quiet :lol:

Mark

UBT - Mikee

Postby UBT - Mikee » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi

Primaboinca just came back online, so that's me kept busy for a while and it's a candidate for a sprint, though Mr. Woodles won't like it!

I won't be here for the 31/08/2017 - 03/09/2017 sprint. I might keep the PC running and try and see if I can get Teamviewer to switch tasks from overseas, don't see why not as it works from the Hudl tablet.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Woodles

Postby Woodles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi Mike,

True, Primaboinca is the only project left that I definitely wouldn't participate in. There's a couple of others that I haven't crunched before and I'd have to decide whether we stood any chance in them before starting a new project. I'm sure UBT would be just fine without me though, I'll go off and crunch something else.

I've never used Teamviewer so can't help with that. What I do if I'm going to be away is set up two profiles on the project website, one that won't get any work (only enable work fetch for a non existent GPU for example) and one normal one that will get work. Then enable the project but set my host to the profile that won't get work. All you need to do then is log on to the project and change the hosts profile when you want work (and back again when you don't) You need to run a small cache though or else downloaded work will carry on instead of the new project.

Mark

UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:56 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:Hi

Primaboinca just came back online, so that's me kept busy for a while and it's a candidate for a sprint, though Mr. Woodles won't like it!

Hi Mike

Thanks for the heads-up...I quite like PrimaBoinca, as they have always had tasks available which keeps me happy if a project has work all the time.

UBT - Mikee wrote:I won't be here for the 31/08/2017 - 03/09/2017 sprint. I might keep the PC running and try and see if I can get Teamviewer to switch tasks from overseas, don't see why not as it works from the Hudl tablet.

Mike

Hope you have a safe journey to your overseas destination - somewhere nice and warm no doubt !!

re: teamviewer
It's one thing to use the Hudl on your home network - quite another to run it from somewhere else...

So, you might find it tricky to use Teamviewer from abroad, unless you can "open" certain ports on your router *and* your router WAN IP address stays the same....otherwise, the Hudl (or any other computer) won't find your PC. !!

And if the router reboots while you are away and it is allocated a new IP address then you will be stuck (as you won't know what the new IP address is).

TBH, I think Marks solution is much easier, if you are abroad - as it enables you to use ANY PC - even a smartphone, and to log into your account on a specific BOINC project and select/deselect specific tasks to be downloaded.

It'll take a little bit of "thought" first - mainly to visit each project website and DISABLE any work to be downloaded (by unticking the "allow CPU" and "allow GPU" tasks) - and then, using BOINC Manager, select each project to "allow new work". Of course none will be downloaded as each project has already been set (on the project website "preferences") not to download any. !!

And then all you need do is to log on to a specific project website and then put a tick in the box to "allow CPU" (or GPU) tasks accordingly. :-)

On the other hand, you can maybe forget all about it and just have a great time away from it all, as it is supposed to be a holiday !!!!!! :dance: :-)

regards
Tim

nick
UBT Contributing Member

Postby nick » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:25 am

I use TeamViewer everywhere to manage my PC's it's super simple to setup and as long as you have a remote client you can connect I have tested this on the road in the USA and the few places in the continent I have been to access all my PC's as long as your internet connection is up and your pc is on you will have no issues. I even use it to be tech support for my family.

UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:55 am

nick wrote:I use TeamViewer everywhere to manage my PC's it's super simple to setup and as long as you have a remote client you can connect I have tested this on the road in the USA and the few places in the continent I have been to access all my PC's as long as your internet connection is up and your pc is on you will have no issues. I even use it to be tech support for my family.

Hi Nick

So, does Teamviewer use their website/servers as a "bridge" between the remote location and the "home" PC? (rather than making a direct connection from remote to "home" PC?).

regards
Tim

nick
UBT Contributing Member

Postby nick » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:15 am

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Hi Nick

So, does Teamviewer use their website/servers as a "bridge" between the remote location and the "home" PC? (rather than making a direct connection from remote to "home" PC?).

regards
Tim

I am not sure I think they use the client more as a dynamic name server as local connections transfer files at network speed but I could be wrong maybe they use a bridge for the initial handshake. been using it for 10 years now they have come a long way. if it was cheaper to buy the business version I would help dev along but they are too expensive for me to do that. the best thing is it works on almost anything with mac windows Linux android and ios apps for remoting to and from.

Woodles

Postby Woodles » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:04 pm

And the next sprint is ...
Sprint on project Milkyway@home
from 08/24/2017 22:00 (UTC) to 08/27/2017 21:59 (UTC)

So another mainly GPU project although CPUs are supported.

Good luck all,

Mark

UBT - Mikee

Postby UBT - Mikee » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:25 pm

Hi

Well, tried to download 2 days worth. They only take 270 seconds and I can only get 80 which is about 6 hours worth. So it seems I won't be able to keep too many for the start. Also there a quorum of 2, so that may slow things down a bit.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Woodles

Postby Woodles » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:03 am

Hi mike,

A similar problem here. Looks like there's not going to be the usual surge in credits when the sprint officially starts.

Mark

Woodles

Postby Woodles » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:00 am

Added to that, apparently the most productive way to use Nvidia cards is to run multiple WUs on them at a time!

I'll have a look tonight to see what difference it makes but that would mean running through the cache even quicker.

Mark

UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:35 am

Hi all,

I was out last night and didn't get back until this morning, as I was kipping over at a friends (rather than risk driving, having had a couple of bevvies). :-)

So, I'm a bit late to THIS party.

I've just downloaded some MW WU's...and I've grabbed both CPU and GPU tasks...so, that'll keep my PC happy until tonight, when I can "allow" network access again. ;-)

MW is one of my fave projects so, I'll do what I can :-)

regards
Tim

Woodles

Postby Woodles » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:09 am

Hi Tim,

Very responsible of you.

You didn't miss much, the GPU WUs are processed too quickly to build up more than a few hours backlog anyway. The CPU ones seem alright though so I've got a few of them going and some stored Collatz/Moo to keep the GPUs toasty until the internet is re-connected :)

Mark

UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:57 am

Hi Mark

I was able to get 169 MW GPU tasks, which on my dual-GTX970 PC, are being processed at the rate of 2 WU's every 4 min 30secs.

So, that will keep the GPU's going for about 6½ hours !!

I have a small number of Leiden WU's to complete plus I have 48 MW CPU tasks, each taking about 90 mins. Again, this will keep things ticking over until 11pm tonight ;-)

regards
Tim

Woodles

Postby Woodles » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi Tim,

Pretty similar to me (and Mike I believe?), roughly six hours worth is all you're allowed! I don't know if it's just with the increased demand due to the Formula Boinc sprint or whether that's always the case?

Still, full steam ahead from tonight :D

We could do with a good showing in this sprint as both USA and 3DNow!! are both stronger than us in the Milkway marathon, don't want them to be catching up / pulling away in the overall standings.

Mark

UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi Mark

Maybe on the GPU side, but 48 WU's, at 90 mins each, is 72 hours worth. With (currently) 7 cores running MW, that's about 10 hours of work.

Might have to take a look at someone elses MW Profile and see how many tasks they have as "In Progress" ;-)

regards
Tim

PS I'm now out of GPU tasks and I have 29 CPU tasks left...with 7 cores, each taking about 1hr 30 mins, that'll take me nicely up to 11pm ;-)

Woodles

Postby Woodles » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:12 am

Hi Tim,

I made the mistake of running all the CPU applications to start with, the MilkyWay@Home N-Body Simulation ones were taking 11.66 seconds per credit with 8 cores running simultaneously (93.31 CPU seconds per credit) as opposed to 51.08 seconds per credit for the single threaded MilkyWay@Home ones.

Needless to say, I've now switched to just the MilkyWay@Home.

I also had a problem in that my GTX 1070s ran all the WUs while the network was off but as soon as they started getting new work, every task errored after a couple of seconds. It was late so I turned them off for the night but checking up this morning, it seems the new Nvidia drivers have problems with Milkyway so I'll be switching back to the older drivers tonight.

Should boost my score up a bit :)

RE cache filling.

For the MilkyWay@Home tasks, a purely CPU host has 4 tasks per CPU core pending and won't download any more, mixed hosts have 80 tasks per GPU + 4 tasks per CPU core and won't download any more.

Difficult to tell with the multi threaded tasks as I have a range of just over than two per CPU core up to just over eight!

Looks like those are the limits. You can always change the reported number of CPU cores to get more work that way but I've found the CPU work is always enough anyway, it's the GPUs that are limited to about 6 hours.

Mark

UBT - Chris Suddick

Postby UBT - Chris Suddick » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:24 am

I ended up 'spinning my wheels' for an hour last night because I'd finished everything by 10pm but it's full steam ahead now.

I notice that we have a 200k lead on USA but I suspect that might not last. More importantly we have a 300k lead on 3D Now who are currently out of the points. I can't imagine that will last either.

Chris.

Return to “BOINC & Team News, Announcements and Progress”