Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

News and Announcements about BOINC, the Team and its Members (including Members birthdays, etc). This section can be used to note progress made (or hoped for) on specific projects. Team Crunchathons are announced here too.
User avatar
UBT - Timbo
UBT admin
Posts: 5671
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:00 am
Location: NW Midlands
Contact:

Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby UBT - Timbo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:15 am

Hi all

The next FB Sprint will be held between the hours of 22:00 UTC (11pm BST) on Thursday 27th July until 22:00 UTC (11pm) on Sunday 30th July.

If you want to join in, then check the Formula-BOINC website on Wednesday 26th July around 11pm (BST) and the next project will be announced.

http://formula-boinc.org/sprint.py?lang=&year=2017

regards
Tim

User avatar
UBT - Timbo
UBT admin
Posts: 5671
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:00 am
Location: NW Midlands
Contact:

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby UBT - Timbo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi all

A little reminder that the 11th Sprint "project announcement" is at 11pm BST tonight.

The last two projects (chosen for Sprints) were GPU projects, so one assumes it might be a CPU-based choice...?

So, just time to run down your caches and be ready for this weekends little escapade ;-)

regards
Tim

User avatar
Woodles
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor
Posts: 6173
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby Woodles » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Hi Tim,

Coffee on and ready and waiting :)

To be completely accurate, Asteroids was also a CPU project but there are only a few pure GPU ones left to choose from so I'm expecting a CPU based one as well.

Mark

User avatar
Woodles
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor
Posts: 6173
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby Woodles » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:07 pm

Sprint on project NFS@home
from 07/27/2017 22:00 (UTC) to 07/30/2017 21:59 (UTC)


So it's NFS this time? Fair enough, I'll give it a go, any other takers?

Be aware that a couple of the applications use upto 1GByte of RAM per WU. If you don't have at least 1GByte per core either limit the number of cores or select the lower memory applications, too much disc thrashing otherwise!

Mark

User avatar
UBT - Mikee
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor
Posts: 3636
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:00 am
Location: North Wales

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby UBT - Mikee » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi

I'm in - just got about 200ish of them - network off til tomorrow then!

Though just noticed I'm getting computation errors on a couple of 15e applications.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Image

User avatar
UBT - Timbo
UBT admin
Posts: 5671
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:00 am
Location: NW Midlands
Contact:

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby UBT - Timbo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:40 pm

Woodles wrote:So it's NFS this time? Fair enough, I'll give it a go, any other takers?


Hi Mark

I'm in...though I don't think I can earn lots of credits on this as the house move means I'm down to 1x PC, which is an XP machine and hence I have to select the basic NFS tasks to do....plus I can only run 2 tasks on it (even though it's an octo core), else everything slows down to a crawl... :-(

But they all count !!

Woodles wrote:Be aware that a couple of the applications use upto 1GByte of RAM per WU. If you don't have at least 1GByte per core either limit the number of cores or select the lower memory applications, too much disc thrashing otherwise!

Mark


Indeed - for low RAM PC's you should only select the following in your NFS preferences (on their website).

lasieved - app for RSALS subproject, uses less than 0.5 GB memory: yes
lasievee - work nearly always available, uses up to 0.5 GB memory: yes


regards
Tim

User avatar
Woodles
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor
Posts: 6173
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby Woodles » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:03 am

Hi Both,

Let battle commence :)

UBT - Timbo wrote:But they all count !!

Indeed they do :D

lasieved - app for RSALS subproject, uses less than 0.5 GB memory: yes
lasievee - work nearly always available, uses up to 0.5 GB memory: yes
lasievef - used for huge factorizations, uses up to 1 GB memory: no
lasieve5f - used for huge factorizations, uses up to 1 GB memory: no


That's what they say but I currently have:
Lasieved (14e) at 0.24 GBytes
lasievee (15e) at 0.75 GBytes
lasieve5f (16e) at 0.85 GBytes

Mark

User avatar
UBT - Timbo
UBT admin
Posts: 5671
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:00 am
Location: NW Midlands
Contact:

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby UBT - Timbo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:13 am

Hi Mark

I changed my "Computing Prefs" to only use 50% of the 8 cores, for NFS....and I'd only "allowed" the lasieved and lasievee tasks to run....WRONG...as I then found the PC became totally unresponsive, as 4x lasievee tasks were running, using up 779Mb for each task...that makes nearly 3Gb of RAM and that's without taking into account: Windows OS, Chrome browser was open and XP machines are limited to a max of 3Gb of RAM !!

Eventually was able to ALT+TAB to the BOINC Manager window and change the Prefs to 25% !

regards
Tim

User avatar
UBT - Mikee
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor
Posts: 3636
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:00 am
Location: North Wales

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby UBT - Mikee » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:31 am

HI

Glad I specced this PC to 16GB of RAM now! Currently at 14.3 GB of RAM in use (90%). Surprisingly, everything seems to be running normally. About 40% of the 15e applications have failed after 2 minutes.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Image

User avatar
Woodles
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor
Posts: 6173
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby Woodles » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:32 am

Hi Tim,

You could setup an app_config file to limit the number of lasievee WUs that run simultaneously and let the other cores run the lasieved WUs?

Or install a 64 bit operating system, Windows 7 is easily available and cheap?

Hi Mike,

A good move, I've got an i7 also at about 90% memory use and it's working normally as well. Don't think I'm going to push to use that last 10% of RAM though :D

Does it say why the 15e applications have failed? I haven't checked today but I didn't have any errors last night while setting it up (Network is off at the moment so I can't check again until tonight)

Mark

User avatar
UBT - Timbo
UBT admin
Posts: 5671
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:00 am
Location: NW Midlands
Contact:

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby UBT - Timbo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Woodles wrote:Hi Tim,

You could setup an app_config file to limit the number of lasievee WUs that run simultaneously and let the other cores run the lasieved WUs?

Or install a 64 bit operating system, Windows 7 is easily available and cheap?

<snip>

Mark


Hi Mark

Yup - an app_config might help - I'll have to take a look at that.

re: OS
Sadly, this PC needs to be on XP :-(

It is quite a capable CPU, and will easily withstand an OS upgrade...but I have various peripherals, which require XP (and no WIn 7 drivers are available:-( ) and until these devices are no longer needed (or can be replaced cheaply) then I must retain this OS and accept some of the limitations on BOINC.

regards
Tim

UBT - Chris Suddick
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor
Posts: 392
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Warrington, Cheshire

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby UBT - Chris Suddick » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Ah, that explains why my lappy puked all over the floor. Nowhere near enough memory for this. I've got my quad on it though. No idea how many it will produce as I've never done NFS before.

Chris.

User avatar
Woodles
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor
Posts: 6173
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby Woodles » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:34 pm

UBT - Timbo wrote:Sadly, this PC needs to be on XP :-(

It is quite a capable CPU, and will easily withstand an OS upgrade...but I have various peripherals, which require XP (and no WIn 7 drivers are available:-( ) and until these devices are no longer needed (or can be replaced cheaply) then I must retain this OS and accept some of the limitations on BOINC.

regards
Tim

Hi Tim,

As another alternative then, you could still install Windows 7 64 bit (or a free 64 bit Linux OS) as the host and have Windows XP running in a virtual machine :D

Mark

User avatar
UBT - Timbo
UBT admin
Posts: 5671
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:00 am
Location: NW Midlands
Contact:

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby UBT - Timbo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:11 pm

Woodles wrote:As another alternative then, you could still install Windows 7 64 bit (or a free 64 bit Linux OS) as the host and have Windows XP running in a virtual machine :D

Mark


Hi Mark

Yup - a good idea...though I'm not 100% sure the process of doing this....obv, install Win 7 first and add lots of RAM, to allow for a VM.

But then I'd need to install Win XP, plus whatever service packs are available...I think I have up to SP3...and then, I guess, install the specific drivers for the peripherals that need them?

This might be a good idea...though I might have to try it first on a different "test" PC and see how it gets on...if successful, I can then upgrade this PC to just run on Win 7, with the "test PC" becoming a solely Win 7/Win XP PC, which can then access said devices.

So, does the XP machine running in a VM, have direct control over the connected hardware with the XP drivers? Or is there some "kludge" that tells the Win 7 OS to allow said XP drivers to access certain externally connected devices?

regards
Tim

User avatar
Woodles
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor
Posts: 6173
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby Woodles » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:34 pm

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote:Ah, that explains why my lappy puked all over the floor. Nowhere near enough memory for this. I've got my quad on it though. No idea how many it will produce as I've never done NFS before.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Oh yes, loads of RAM needed for NFS tasks!

The tasks themselves should take between half and hour and a couple of hours so you should get through a few. They don't pay particularly well though so the points won't be huge.

Mark

User avatar
Woodles
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor
Posts: 6173
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby Woodles » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:43 pm

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi Mark

Yup - a good idea...though I'm not 100% sure the process of doing this....obv, install Win 7 first and add lots of RAM, to allow for a VM.

But then I'd need to install Win XP, plus whatever service packs are available...I think I have up to SP3...and then, I guess, install the specific drivers for the peripherals that need them?

This might be a good idea...though I might have to try it first on a different "test" PC and see how it gets on...if successful, I can then upgrade this PC to just run on Win 7, with the "test PC" becoming a solely Win 7/Win XP PC, which can then access said devices.

So, does the XP machine running in a VM, have direct control over the connected hardware with the XP drivers? Or is there some "kludge" that tells the Win 7 OS to allow said XP drivers to access certain externally connected devices?

regards
Tim

Hi Tim,

That's about the basics of it. No need for more RAM unless you need it anyway, the VM will just use as much of the host memory as you allow it.

It's worth trying on a different machine, if it's close enough in spec then you can just save the VM once it's running and copy it over (it's just a file)

Direct control of most peripherals happens with Vt-x enabled, if you need to access the PCIe slots directly then you also need Vt-d enabled. With VT-d enabled then the host OS doesn't even need drivers for the hardware as the VM accesses it directly.

Mark

User avatar
UBT - Mikee
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor
Posts: 3636
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:00 am
Location: North Wales

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby UBT - Mikee » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:54 pm

Woodles wrote:H
Does it say why the 15e applications have failed? I haven't checked today but I didn't have any errors last night while setting it up (Network is off at the moment so I can't check again until tonight)

Mark


Hi

The highly helpful 'Unknown error'

Stderr output

<core_client_version>7.6.33</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
(unknown error) - exit code -1073740940 (0xc0000374)
</message>
<stderr_txt>
boinc initialized
work files resolved, now working
-> projects/escatter11.fullerton.edu_nfs/lasievee_1.08_windows_x86_64__notphenomiix6.exe
-> -r
-> -f
-> 55308000
-> -c
-> 4000
-> -R
-> -o
-> ../../projects/escatter11.fullerton.edu_nfs/C278_135_128_55308_0_r1477692785_0
-> ../../projects/escatter11.fullerton.edu_nfs/C278_135_128.poly

</stderr_txt>
]]>


Oh - just had a quick look around and found this...

' A heap has been corrupted.'

Never had a problem with my heap before... I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere but it seems it's lost in the heap... ho hum...

The failure rate has increased to around 60% now but not too bothered about it as they fail after 2 minutes, so no real time lost.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Image

User avatar
UBT - Timbo
UBT admin
Posts: 5671
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:00 am
Location: NW Midlands
Contact:

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby UBT - Timbo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:27 pm

Hi Mark

OK - I'll give it some thought and try it out, once I'm settled in the new house :-)

I was assuming that as Win 7 will need some RAM, (just to boot up), and then there's the VM, and then Win XP on top of that, that the 4Gb in the current PC (of which only 3Gb is accessible to XP), won't be quite enough. So, a new 4Gb stick might be needed (or more if I can stretch that far ;-) ).

The PC's are quite different, but that's not an issue :-)

No need for accessing PCIe directly...the peripherals are either accessed via USB...or via parallel port - remember them ??? I do have a SCSI card though, but that should be supported directly via Win 7 and then with luck the device drivers will then "see" the SCSI card...but that's not a "must have", but it would be nice.

regards
Tim

User avatar
UBT - Timbo
UBT admin
Posts: 5671
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:00 am
Location: NW Midlands
Contact:

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby UBT - Timbo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:34 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:Hi

The highly helpful 'Unknown error'

<snip>

Oh - just had a quick look around and found this...

' A heap has been corrupted.'

Never had a problem with my heap before... I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere but it seems it's lost in the heap... ho hum...

The failure rate has increased to around 60% now but not too bothered about it as they fail after 2 minutes, so no real time lost.

Mike


Hi Mike

I've had 3 errors out of 29 tasks - of which 26 have been completed OK - 2x 14e tasks (falling after 16 mins and 25 mins) and 1x 15e (also failing after 16 mins).

If you've had a 60% failure rate, I'd be tempted to upload any completed tasks tonight (after 11pm) or in the morning, set NFS to "no new tasks" and then either reset or remove the project. Then try again with new task files and then "allow new work" and see how it goes.

In the past, I had issues with NFS "competing" for memory with other PC programs (which were running at the same time) and if it didn't have enough, it fell over (so to speak) so it could be related to that?

regards
Tim

User avatar
Woodles
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor
Posts: 6173
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Formula-BOINC Sprint #11 27th-30th July 2017

Postby Woodles » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:04 pm

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi Mark

OK - I'll give it some thought and try it out, once I'm settled in the new house :-)

I was assuming that as Win 7 will need some RAM, (just to boot up), and then there's the VM, and then Win XP on top of that, that the 4Gb in the current PC (of which only 3Gb is accessible to XP), won't be quite enough. So, a new 4Gb stick might be needed (or more if I can stretch that far ;-) ).

The PC's are quite different, but that's not an issue :-)

No need for accessing PCIe directly...the peripherals are either accessed via USB...or via parallel port - remember them ??? I do have a SCSI card though, but that should be supported directly via Win 7 and then with luck the device drivers will then "see" the SCSI card...but that's not a "must have", but it would be nice.

regards
Tim

Hi Tim,

I've just had a quick look here and this copy of Windows 7 64 bit is using roughly 500Meg of RAM with nothing else running. If you allocate 3Gig to the VM then that should still leave enough for Windows 7 without any need to upgrade the memory.

Of course, you won't be able to do much else with the machine :D

USB from the VM certainly isn't a problem, the parallel port might be as I'm not sure that Windows 7 even knows such a thing exists! :shock: :D

I don't think you'll have a problem but best to try it on a different PC first, no point in trashing the original one just to find out it won't work after all.

Mark


Return to “BOINC & Team News, Announcements and Progress”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest