Mailing list now live :)

News and Announcements about the Team and its Members (including Members birthdays, etc).
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Mailing list now live :)

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:06 am

Hi all,

It's taken a while, but I've now had a chance to install a "mailing list" program on the UBT website.

This gives me the opportunity to import members contact details into a live (secure) database and to then be able to produce monthly newsletters as well as specific project information updates to those members who have joined one (or more) of the projects.

Of course, this is going to take some work to maintain....as when one joins (or leaves) a specific project, I'm not automatically advised that a new member has joined (or left)...plus it'll mean importing all the email addys for each project that I'm the admin for...plus I'll need to update each project with specific information on how new members can automatically subscribe to specific "mailing lists" so that they can join/leave any list of their choosing.

If you are an admin for a project then, then if you feel it is acceptable, can you email me a list of the names and email addys of the members of each specific project that you admin...noting of course which project each list relates to. ;)

I've just sent a test email to the approx 2,600 UBT members (who have agreed that the admins can contact them) of the SETI@home project (which is by far our largest group of Team members) so I'll see what happens...

If you see the email, please feel free to comment in this thread...and of course if you want to change your preferences as to whether you want to continue receiving this specific "project" email, then you can.

regards
Tim

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: Mailing list now live :)

Post by Woodles » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:15 pm

Hi Tim,

Email addresses sent :)

I'm not on the SETI email list so I can't comment on the email you sent :P

Regards,

Mark

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:56 pm

Thanks Mark

Email received :)

And no doubt you'll receive an email in due course, once I've imported the next set of email addys, from the projects. :)

regards
Tim

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi all

So, a good 1,600 emails have now been sent....just a few more in the queue ;)

I've been trying to do something like this for a while - sorting out the people who have ceased crunching and maybe re-invigorating those who've lapsed.

Likewise, I'd like to start doing a monthly or bi-monthly "Team newsletter" and now I've got the forum sorted on this domain, I've now added the mail list function (which is independent of the forum) so as to communicate with members as easily as possibly.

Most of the websites that offer this (ie MailChimp) impose restrictions on you or they charge you...and I don't have the significant spare cash required to be able to mail a few thousand crunchers (at least initially).

And I'd really like to get more people on the forum...as it would also help our Team a lot more.

So, the next stage is going to be:

Ideas for inclusion in a regular Team email newsletter.

regards
Tim

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:30 pm

UBT - Timbo wrote:Thanks Mark

Email received :)

And no doubt you'll receive an email in due course, once I've imported the next set of email addys, from the projects. :)

regards
Tim
Hi Tim,

That's alright, I have a spam folder :D
UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi all

<snip>
So, the next stage is going to be:

Ideas for inclusion in a regular Team email newsletter.

regards
Tim
I'd be interested in:

Any achievements the team or individual has performed since the last update
Number of members/projects
World/country position change
Any significant points milestones reached, individual or team
Any Prime number/Protein//Aliens etc found.

Any new projects/sub projects that have popped up or that now accept different inputs
New GPU workunits
Android support
Linux/Windows workunits for previously exclusive projects

Maybe a help/FAQ section?

Team member anniversaries
Birthdays
BOINC join date
Team join date

I think we should also re-introduce a regular team crunch
Nominate a project one month
Select one the next
Report the results the third.
With a rolling process so there's a crunch nominated, selected and reported on each month

Maybe a 'social' section?
Who ran in the last marathon
Any personal sponsorship/fundraising opportunities
What I did on my holidays and why you should/shouldn't do it
The relative merits of chocolate Hobnobs over Digestives

Competitions
BOINC targets
Nearest to the total in a project after a fixed time
Nearest to an overall total after a fixed time
Time to reach a total
Non-BOINC related
Top three premiership teams at the end of the season
How many points South Africa will beat Korea by in the Rugby 7s
Who really killed JR
Next Royal to get married/divorced/born

Obviously, not all the sections would get updated every time but it should provide something to be reported.

If you need any help with any of it, I'll volunteer to be a roving reporter.

Regards,

Mark

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:52 pm

Hi Mark

Thanks for the idea's....though, TBH, I wasn't expecting quite so many straight away....

But they are all absolutely perfect for the sort of "interaction" I'd like to introduce to the Team...just so that there can be a better "rapport" between members, and more interaction, plus the incentive to carry on crunching too.... ;)

I'd also like to appoint a number of "mailing list" admins...who can write up one (or more) section(s) for each mailing out...so that we can get more input into the newsletters as well as (hopefully) preventing any "stagnation" from a single "editor" (such as me !!).

But for now, I'm "fighting" my webhosting company who have blocked me sending out all of the emails today - their Tech Support team are complaining that I've sent more than 300....and yet these self same Techs helped me to install the mailing program in the first place...!

So, I've had to pause the sending out and I need to re-configure the "queue" it uses so I don't over extend the daily limit.... :(

regards
Tim

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi Tim,

I thought I'd get in early :)

I'm more a numbers and statistics person myself so I could help with the targets/achievements/competition side. I'm not so good on what happened in Eastenders yesterday or the merits (if any) of the various Kardashian members so the social side might be best left to someone else :D

Tech support sounds about right, they'll sell you something, help you set it up but throw a fit should you ever actually want to use it!

Regards,

Mark