Overclock.net

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Chris
Active UBT Contributor 5+ yrs

Overclock.net

Post by UBT - Chris »

We have a threat on our hands - overclock.net will catch up to us within 70 days - we need to stop them!
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Overclock.net

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris wrote:We have a threat on our hands - overclock.net will catch up to us within 70 days - we need to stop them!
Hi Chris,

Yup - they've tripled their credit in the last 3 months and have gone from around 40 billion to over 120 billion in that time.

And in the last month they have doubled their daily RAC...so they are a real threat to our #7 ranking position.

I would suggest we make a big effort to increase our crunching capabilities...perhaps we need to make a good effort at encouraging people to join our team and we might stand a chance.

We've got maybe 70 days to do something about it, after all ;)

Mind you, we'll probably overtake Team Musketeers by then anyways.

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Ok - encourage - check
Crunch more - Check
Also, maybe we don't leave UBT's BU - we have ALL done it recently, but we need to stay in power mode!
Finally, yes we do have 70 days and yes we will probably overtake Team Musketeers by then, but we want to keep rising to the top and not be halted by anyone! :D

Any suggestions on encouraging people to join??
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris wrote:Any suggestions on encouraging people to join??
Hi Chris,

We could raise some funds on BU and spend the money on Hobnobs for anyone who joins UBT - I'm currently crunching some Hobnobs with Choc Chips (on sp. offer at Tesco) ;)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Chris wrote:We have a threat on our hands - overclock.net will catch up to us within 70 days - we need to stop them!
It seems to be that Larsl fellow, anyone know where he lives? :D
UBT - Chris wrote:Also, maybe we don't leave UBT's BU - we have ALL done it recently, but we need to stay in power mode!
I've nearly done all my visiting, technically, I still owe BUK another 500 million to compensate for what Scotland got to overtake them but they're back in front and gained a few places now so I might leave it.
UBT - Timbo wrote:We could raise some funds on BU and spend the money on Hobnobs for anyone who joins UBT - I'm currently crunching some Hobnobs with Choc Chips (on sp. offer at Tesco) ;)
Good plan, I'll get right on it after I've nipped out to Tescos :)

More importantly, TSBT have been matching or even out scoring us the past couple of days! :shock:

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:More importantly, TSBT have been matching or even out scoring us the past couple of days! :shock:

Mark
Hi Mark,

Let them *think* that !! I now have 3 NEW R-Boxes on home farm, and the work BFL farm is starting to take shape, though with the intermittent BT wifi connection, it might be "limited" to times when I'm in the office.

And unfortunately, there are no other offices nearby where I can sneak an ethernet cable into their router... :(

With luck, I should be getting close to a larger daily RAC.....then we'll see what TSBT have to offer...

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

This is a good plan - I'll try and invest in some more ASICs soon too :D
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:And in the last month they have doubled their daily RAC...so they are a real threat to our #7 ranking position.

(snip)

Mind you, we'll probably overtake Team Musketeers by then anyways.
According to Boincstats, we'll overtake Team Musketeers in ~30 days so Overclock will be a threat to our #6 position.
UBT - Timbo wrote:I now have 3 NEW R-Boxes on home farm, and the work BFL farm is starting to take shape, though with the intermittent BT wifi connection, it might be "limited" to times when I'm in the office.

(snip)

With luck, I should be getting close to a larger daily RAC.....then we'll see what TSBT have to offer...
That's 3 more 100-110s?! :shock: Christmas come early or something? :D TSBT are only marginally catching us, a few million a day should see them off.

I found a few reports about the BT homehub router intermittently dropping out (my one at home was doing it a couple of days ago ... and I'm not even on BT!) so unless you can get the owner to upgrade/get a different router, you may be stuck. Still, it should be nice and warm at home over Christmas :)
UBT - Chris wrote:This is a good plan - I'll try and invest in some more ASICs soon too :D
Try looking on BU first Chris, http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinuto ... php?id=685 you'll probably get them cheaper than on EBAY/Amazon.

Mark
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Thanks, Mark :)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:That's 3 more 100-110s?! :shock: Christmas come early or something? :D TSBT are only marginally catching us, a few million a day should see them off.
Hi Mark

Sorry - my error - I didn't mean 3 MORE, as I had 2 already and found a 3rd one....so, there's 3 (in total) of the "NEW" R-Boxes, crunching away at home.
I found a few reports about the BT homehub router intermittently dropping out (my one at home was doing it a couple of days ago ... and I'm not even on BT!) so unless you can get the owner to upgrade/get a different router, you may be stuck. Still, it should be nice and warm at home over Christmas :)

Mark
The BT HomeHub I have is a HomeHub 4 and it's wifi connection is rock solid....as my laptop is driving the aforementioned R-Box farm.

I'll have to see if the SSID's at work indicate which "edition" of HomeHub router the wifi signals are from...though I would suspect they are HH5's which are the Infinity/fibre-connected versions...and hence should be pretty good...though I guess it depends if the routers firmware is set to be upgraded auto-magically ;)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Looks like overclock.net have fallen behind a bit with reduced output, we should be safe from them for the time being.

Likewise TSBT. With Alez off crunching for AMD most days, we seem pretty safe from slipping down the table and can even look forward to moving up sometime in January :)
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Perfect! I have also ordered another ASIC, so I'm gonna crunch even more :D
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Chris wrote:Perfect! I have also ordered another ASIC, so I'm gonna crunch even more :D
Well done Chris, you'll be shooting up the tables next year :)
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

I sure will, Mark - ASIC + powered hub due to arrive on 30th Dec :D
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Status Update:
ASIC not arrived yet - expected today - Tuesday
Powered Hub arrived today and works perfectly :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris wrote:Status Update:
ASIC not arrived yet - expected today - Tuesday
Powered Hub arrived today and works perfectly :D
Hi Chris,

Which powered hub have you got? (as some only have low powered wall-warts which aren't beefy enough to support multiple USB sticks).

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris wrote:Hi Tim,

It's this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111317525419
Hi Chris,

If you can check the power supply that came with it and see how many amps it can supply, that will help prove one way or the other, as to whether it will be "man enough". (The label on the PSU plug will quote this).

The reason is this: A single USB ASIC needs about 0.4-0.5 Amps to work.
A single USB v2.0 port can deliver at max about 2.0 Amps.

And most of these cheaper external USB hubs have small power supplies that cannot deliver much more than 2.0 Amps anyways.

Which is fine for low powered USB accessories.....but not when it comes to ASIC's.

So, if you are running maybe 1,2 or perhaps 3 USB ASIC's then this might just about be able to cope. But don't try more...as the power supply won't be good enough.

Also, if you are plugging anything else into the hub, check how much power those items are consuming, as this will limit the power going to the ASIC's.

I used to use an Orico P10 USB hub and that came with a PSU capable of delivering 4.58 Amps at 12v.....this was good enough to allow 8-9 ASIC's to run off it....another good hub is the 10-way from Anker.

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

ok - cheers, Tim