I'm back

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
rich2000k
Active UBT Contributor 5+ yrs

I'm back

Post by rich2000k »

Just wanted to have a nice big shout out, saying I'M BACK!!!

After a few months of intermittent computer issues I'd had enough and sold my overheating laptop. I have now built my own custom home PC (all guesswork/trial and error) for the main purpose of crunching.

So without further ado here we go again. Seti & Milkyway to start off.

Glad to be back

:D
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Rich,

Welcome back :)

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Rich,

Long time no see...good to have you active again - though you've missed out on some of the fun, while we were re-claiming the UK #1 position :)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi Rich,

Long time no see...good to have you active again - though you've missed out on some of the fun, while we were re-claiming the UK #1 position :)

regards
Tim
I can't stand these people who only want to be part of the top team, abandon it when it gets overtaken then come running back when it's successful again :D

Only joking Rich
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Welcome back Rich.  :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:I can't stand these people who only want to be part of the top team, abandon it when it gets overtaken then come running back when it's successful again :D

Only joking Rich
Hi Mark,

Well, we've got 79 members with "rich" in their BOINC username....and no "rich2000k"'s.....so I'm not sure we can safely say that he is a shirker....

Best give him the benefit of the doubt, make sure he starts crunching on  a useful BOINC project and nurture him along a bit....!!

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi Mark,

Well, we've got 79 members with "rich" in their BOINC username....and no "rich2000k"'s.....so I'm not sure we can safely say that he is a shirker....

Best give him the benefit of the doubt, make sure he starts crunching on  a useful BOINC project and nurture him along a bit....!!

regards
Tim
hi Tim,

Ah, but you can't post "I'M BACK!!!" if you were never here in the first place :P

Bedsides, he joined almost a year ago http://forum.ukboincteam.com/viewtopic. ... highlight= so I don't know where you were looking? :D

I am, of course, only joking, the more the merrier and all that.

Mark
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

welcome back, Rich (well, from me it's just a warm welcome cos im newish to the team) :D
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
rich2000k

Post by rich2000k »

Woe Woe Woe...let me point out I never ran off anywhere. I simply had a laptop that was overheating even running at 40% cpu in less than 10 mins, which was infuriating as hell. I would never jump teams in search of "glory", I support Stoke City for God's sake that should tell you enough lol.

I have great faith in crunching for the long term (even if the wife thinks it put's the electricity bills up) and as such I decided I HAD to build a desktop PC capable enough of running for long periods without problems.

I congratulate everyone for gaining the no1 spot, but if you look at my last 40 days you can see I still ran my kids pc to do minor numbers whist I was gone, but now we're out the blocks again.

And hey if my crunching does some good in the world, that's the priority for me, my numbers come second but as you can now see running at 100% again for the foreseeable.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

rich2000k wrote:Woe Woe Woe...let me point out I never ran off anywhere. I simply had a laptop that was overheating even running at 40% cpu in less than 10 mins, which was infuriating as hell. I would never jump teams in search of "glory", I support Stoke City for God's sake that should tell you enough lol.

I have great faith in crunching for the long term (even if the wife thinks it put's the electricity bills up) and as such I decided I HAD to build a desktop PC capable enough of running for long periods without problems.

I congratulate everyone for gaining the no1 spot, but if you look at my last 40 days you can see I still ran my kids pc to do minor numbers whist I was gone, but now we're out the blocks again.

And hey if my crunching does some good in the world, that's the priority for me, my numbers come second but as you can now see running at 100% again for the foreseeable.
Hi rich

Don't worry about Woodles - I think he's gone a bit funny since he became "Crunch Leader" - I think it's just getting to his head a bit !!

But you keep on crunching as best you can and don't worry about the odd jibe - they're really just jealous that you support such a fine team (hahahah)

(I'm about 15 miles from the Britannia, but I support another team !! And no, it's not ManUre)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

rich2000k wrote:I have great faith in crunching for the long term (even if the wife thinks it put's the electricity bills up) and as such I decided I HAD to build a desktop PC capable enough of running for long periods without problems.
Hi Rich,

But it does ... however, it also reduces the heating bill so swings and roundabouts :)
rich2000k wrote:I congratulate everyone for gaining the no1 spot, but if you look at my last 40 days you can see I still ran my kids pc to do minor numbers whist I was gone, but now we're out the blocks again.

Sorry if any offence was taken Rich, it was only meant as a joke. Any and all crunching is welcome and of course, no-one is under any obligation.
UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi rich

Don't worry about Woodles - I think he's gone a bit funny since he became "Crunch Leader" - I think it's just getting to his head a bit !!
Hi Tim,

Oh no, I've always been like this :) If I've changed then it was your doing, I was perfectly happy as a Bit Cruncher :P ... or whatever it was previously. You created the monster :twisted: :D
UBT - Timbo wrote:But you keep on crunching as best you can and don't worry about the odd jibe - they're really just jealous that you support such a fine team (hahahah)

(I'm about 15 miles from the Britannia, but I support another team !! And no, it's not ManUre)

regards
Tim
I used to live in Hanley ... and still support Leeds so I know your pain :)

Mark
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Woodles wrote:... and still support Leeds so I know your pain :)

Mark
:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

:lol:
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

hgblade wrote:

Mark

A Southerner! :shock: :P :D
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Woodles wrote:
hgblade wrote:

Mark

A Southerner! :shock: :P :D

rich2000k

Post by rich2000k »

Whilst I have everyone's attention, can I pick your brains.

In December I'll be upgrading my pc's HDD from the 1tb I have to 2tb plus a 160gb SSD. After I have done that, I'm now toying with the idea of installing a Tesla GPU, nothing expensive maybe a C870 or something similar for crunching purposes.

Does anyone have any experience with them and are they a solid investment for crunching?

And yes I'd love a K40 or even K80 but who's got 6-10 grand for a GPU lol.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

rich2000k wrote:Whilst I have everyone's attention, can I pick your brains.

In December I'll be upgrading my pc's HDD from the 1tb I have to 2tb plus a 160gb SSD. After I have done that, I'm now toying with the idea of installing a Tesla GPU, nothing expensive maybe a C870 or something similar for crunching purposes.
Hi rich

Sounds like a good plan - one thing to ensure though - don't let BOINC anywhere near the SSD....as the number of files written to and read from the SSD will shorten it's life... SSD's are good for long term storage of never changed files....whereas HDD are good for always changing data :)
Does anyone have any experience with them and are they a solid investment for crunching?

And yes I'd love a K40 or even K80 but who's got 6-10 grand for a GPU lol.
I've become a fan of NVidia over the last year or so, but I've only invested in some of "yesterdays" tech, simply down to prices and me wanting to crunch a few GPU WU's....plus I don't play games on my PC any more so I can justify spending on a hardly-ever used GPU.

But early talk about the new K80 is very positive, so I've heard. Over 4,000 CUDA cores plus lots more, so it should be blindingly fast...and for those who can afford something along those lines, GPU crunching will be a doddle...it might even start a "what's better: ASIC vs GPU? war".

regards
Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

rich2000k wrote:Whilst I have everyone's attention, can I pick your brains.

As far as SSDs are concerned, Zydor wrote an excellent thread about setting them up - http://forum.ukboincteam.com/viewtopic.php?t=5354&

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

rich2000k

Post by rich2000k »

I'll definitely give the SSD post a read.

Well I must say swapping my laptop for a "build it yourself" system has been a great decision. I'm currently doing approx 9-10x my previous daily credits, obviously this should increase again with a better gpu in the new year.

Currently well chuffed, and I haven't really noticed not having the portability of a laptop either.