Warning - we might lose 2 world ranking places soon

Team milestones, Badges from projects, congratulations to members regarding personal achievements (such as User Of The Day project awards, or reaching specific targets). Also topics about GRC (Gridcoin) rewards.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Warning - we might lose 2 world ranking places soon

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Looks like we might go down by 2 world ranking positions soon...

Both "Team Starfire World BOINC" and "BOINC@Poland" are out-crunching us, so they could well overtake us...

The only way to save our 25th position is if we overtake the two OC teams ahead of us...

So, best foot forward and let's see what we can do.

regards

Tim
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Are we doing too many challenges and losing track of the big picture? :?
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Yep  :lol:
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

I agree too. I think we need to crunch high credit projects to keep us afloat.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

melter65 wrote:Are we doing too many challenges and losing track of the big picture? :?
Hi,

Maybe, just maybe, we should look at which projects are offering high credits while also, most importantly, being online 24/7 with plenty of WU's.

Only by crunching projects with available WU's will we have a chance to maybe increase our RAC (with the existing membership numbers).

Of course, ANOTHER way, is to go on a "membership" crusade to try and attract more crunchers to the Team. But this should only be done via the project forum threads ( as opposed to direct contact with other teams members).

regards

Tim
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

What about contacting present team members with low, or zero, RAC and give them a gentle nudge to get them crunching again?

Another thing to think about, and this is in no way a dig at you Timbo, is the membership list. For example, I always look at the profiles of members who's birthdays appear at the bottom of the main page. If they have never posted I don't bother leaving a message as they are very unlikely to read it! I went as far as doing a search on boinc stats for one person as I'd never heard of them and it appears they now crunch for a different team. Is the team membership list separate from the forum membership list, or do you automatically become a 'team member' when you join the forum?

I just wondered how many forum or team members we have that don't actually give any credits to the team at all?
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Active team members approx 750  (those who earned some credit in the last 4 weeks).
You can be a team member, a forum member or both (but you can only access part of the forum if you do not crunch for the team as well)
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:Active team members approx 750  (those who earned some credit in the last 4 weeks).
You can be a team member, a forum member or both (but you can only access part of the forum if you do not crunch for the team as well)
How does the active members number compare to the total members? In other words, do we know how many members have got credit for the team, but are now inactive or may have left the team?
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

1,860+ members (from the top of the forum) :lol:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:1,860+ members (from the top of the forum) :lol:
Ah! Too blind to see! :oops:  :lol:
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

melter65 wrote:
UBT-mark3346 wrote:1,860+ members (from the top of the forum) :lol:
Ah! Too blind to see! :oops:  :lol:
Not the only one, I knew I had seen it somewhere so looked here first

http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/uk-boinc-team.html

Then spotted it when I came back :oops:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

melter65 wrote:What about contacting present team members with low, or zero, RAC and give them a gentle nudge to get them crunching again?
Hi,

Thanks for the ideas.

OK - deep breath time....!!

Direct email has been tried in the past.....in fact, before the forum existed, I sporadically would trawl the (admittedly back then, limited number of) projects, collate all the different email addresses of team members, then weed out all the duplicates and then send out a blanket email to all and sundry.

But once the email list got to around 1,000, it became apparent that:

1) It took a long time to cut and paste, collate and then remove duplicates from all the email addys collected
2) It took quite a while to cut and paste all the email addy's into maybe 40 or so emails (coz some ISP's frowned if a single email is BCC'd to more than say 25 email addys)
3) The response from said emails was limited - maybe 10% might respond.
4) Indeed, some people didn't like being sent emails about UBT and subsequently unsubscribed themselves (although they kept on crunching for UBT), which made it more difficult to collate the email addys together.

Some time ago, I proposed to Dr David Anderson, that they allow team founders the ability to send team members an email via the project....to some degree, this has been allowed, but BOINC haven't made it easy. By contrast, WCG do allow this....!!

And of course, in the last 2 years, there's been a huge increase in the number of projects, making direct email even more tricky to administrate.

Hence why, when a few others suggested getting a forum together - so we got a Yahoo group set up, which was successful, and which then provided the impetus to create this forum (with grateful thanks to Darren).

Fact is: Anyone who joins the Team on any project, would, one assumes visit the Team website and hence find the forum.

So, if they wanted to be pro-active, one would assume that they would have a presence here already, even if they were only "guests"...
melter65 wrote:Another thing to think about, and this is in no way a dig at you Timbo, is the membership list. For example, I always look at the profiles of members who's birthdays appear at the bottom of the main page. If they have never posted I don't bother leaving a message as they are very unlikely to read it! I went as far as doing a search on boinc stats for one person as I'd never heard of them and it appears they now crunch for a different team. Is the team membership list separate from the forum membership list, or do you automatically become a 'team member' when you join the forum?
OK - just to clear things up:

1) If you crunch on a project and subsequently join UBT, then you are, by definition, a Team member. As such, your crunching stats are helping the team.

2) If you then join the forum, AND you have generated some credits for the team, then you are granted access to all parts of the forum.

If you just join the forum (but don't generate credits for UBT), then you see the same sections of the forum, as though you were a guest - the only difference being that "forum members" can post to any forum section they can access.

The two "membership lists" are of course, entirely separate. And this is the fundamental problem - how to "merge" the data from multiple BOINC projects along with the forum data, into a simple "messaging service" that won't be blocked by ISP's or be regarded as "spam".

On the credits side:

There are forum members who don't generate credits for UBT - that's mainly because they are members of other teams....which is fine because a forum needs to be "open" just to generate plenty of interest.

There are team members who join the team for a while and then decide to stop crunching. This is what happens to probably 50+% of people - they find maybe that BOINC takes up too much of their CPU resources (although that situation is improving with many PC's now sporting multiple CPU's and hardware/memory prices coming down).

Or they just try it, and give up for other reasons - fortunately, BOINC is now very stable (compared to 4 years ago) and hence for many people it just sits in their Taskbar and gets on with it with little or no need for interaction (once you've joined a project, that is).

I tried for some time, to get PCPro (magazine) to include BOINC software on the mag freebie CDROM as a regular item  - but as it wasn't "newsworthy", they decided not to include it....:-(

Likewise, Dr David Anderson has never provided the "UK BOINC Team" version of BOINC software - this would have been a customised version, with maybe 5 different flavours (science, medical, maths, biology, misc) which enabled people to install BOINC and ALL the specific projects from the categories, with just one username and password (and of course automatically "joined" to "UBT".....:-(

So, in a long winded, drawn out way, this is the situation.

Ideally, BOINC project software should allow team founders" to produce (say) team newsletters, that team members can "subscribe" to....but until then, I think the best way is to generate interest in the team website and the forum.

melter65 wrote:I just wondered how many forum or team members we have that don't actually give any credits to the team at all?
On the projects side, it's easy to see who have generated credits and how many team members there are - just visit the team page on each project. In general, we have a very good take up rate of people who join a project AND then generate some credits. However, as you may realise now, the number of "active" members, compared to total membership is running at about 40+% (say 750 out of 1860).

However, I took a conscious decision a long time ago, NOT to delete someone who had joined a project as a team member, just because they hadn't generated ANY credits on THAT project - coz for all I know, they might be crunching for UBT on another project....:thumbup:

regards

Tim
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Thanks for the long-winded answer, Tim! :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

melter65 wrote:Thanks for the long-winded answer, Tim! :D
Hi,

No worries !!!!!!!!!

I had thought about posting a shortened version.....

But, on the other hand, I thought better of it....and besides, the forum now has a sizeable number of members who may have been here only a short time, so I thought it made sense to perhaps "educate" people to the inadequacies of BOINC membership "administration"......

And to also save the efforts of those who wanted to perhaps suggest things that have already been tried.....!!

You know the story....

Been there
Done that
Got the T-shirt
Rode the bike
Blew up the baloon
Drank the drink
Sailed the ship
Swept the floor
Used the sickbag
Hoisted the mainbrace

regards