BOINC Pentathlon 2016

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

BOINC Pentathlon 2016

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

I had this message from Terminator, inviting our team members to participate in this years Pentathlon:
Dear fellow crunchers,

after a hacker had caused havoc on the server and the Pentathlon pages had been offline for one week, the BOINC Pentathlon 2016 has now been rescheduled to start one month later, i.e. on 05 June 2016 https://www.seti-germany.de/forum/conte ... escheduled.

Many Greetings: Terminator
More info: https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/

So, I have already signed UBT up for this - the Pentathlon runs from 5th-19th June and will feature 5 specific projects - which will be announced in due course.

Note: all you need do is crunch as normal and your credits will be "counted" as part of the Pentathlon....so, no need to change teams although you will need to crunch for at least one of the specified projects :)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: BOINC Pentathlon 2016

Post by Woodles »

So long as the chosen projects are ones that we need for Formula Boinc, count me in, otherwise, I may be skipping a couple :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:So long as the chosen projects are ones that we need for Formula Boinc, count me in, otherwise, I may be skipping a couple :D
Hi Mark

That would be good. Though, I'm sure that for the 2 weeks of this Challenge, any project chosen for the Pentathlon, will help us on Formula-BOINC.

Of course, it will also depend on which projects actually have work to crunch ! Having 5 projects just ensures that most peoples PC's will have something to do.

PS: TSBT have joined so we have at least some local competition :-)

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

Just a reminder that the Pentathlon starts in just over 2 weeks time on 5th June :)

I have no clue yet as to which projects have been chosen...but sometime next weekend, it might be an idea to start lowering your "Minimum work buffer", just in case the projects chosen are not ones that you are crunching normally...(and assuming you want to take part, of course).

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

A bit late, but here's some info:

The Pentathlon ends at midnight (UTC) on Saturday night.

The 5 chosen projects are/were:

skynet POGS - already ended
PrimeGrid - already ended
Rosetta@home - ends Friday night at midnight (UTC)
Citizen Grid - ends Saturday night at midnight (UTC)
Universe@home - ends Saturday night at midnight (UTC)

I've been very busy what with one thing and another, but I did put in some good stints of PrimeGrid, though sadly, on the CPU side of things, I forgot about checking which project was going to be chosen...and I ended up crunching on PrimaBOINCA :(

However there is still some time to switch projects to any of the 3 that are still being counted...so feel free to join in as a late starter ;)

Here's where we stand now:

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_penta ... +Team.html

regards
Tim

Edit: it seems seems that SETI-Germany's idea of midnight on 19th June is different to mine so I've edited the above... :(
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

It seems that we didn't do too well in this years Pentathlon (again :( )

We finished in 27th place (out of 33 teams), 3 places behind TSBT and a massive 15 places behind OcUK.

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_penta ... athlon.php

I guess our team isn't really set up for participation in these types of events :(

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,

To be honest, I'd completely forgotten it was running and other than a few Primegrid tasks that may have been returned completely by chance at the correct time, took no part in it.

Regards,

Mark
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Well at least I found a new project to play with - Citizen. Miles behind at Formula Boinc but it makes a change from Sztaki.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Hi Tim,

To be honest, I'd completely forgotten it was running and other than a few Primegrid tasks that may have been returned completely by chance at the correct time, took no part in it.

Regards,

Mark
Hi Mark,

I'd forgotten about it as well...so no probs.

We all have personal milestones we'd like to achieve, and then taking into account battles with other teams, plus Formula BOINC and the Pentathlon as well, it can get pretty tricky trying to keep tabs on them all....

In a way, we're lucky, due to the sheer number of UBT members in that we are doing pretty well overall in the "normal" BOINC stats side of things...just a shame that we can't seem to involve more people on these specific "special teams" type of events.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:Well at least I found a new project to play with - Citizen. Miles behind at Formula Boinc but it makes a change from Sztaki.

Mike
Hi Mikee

Yup I've been doing a few Citizen tasks when other CPU tasks are a bit "hit or miss"...it's not a bad project but it really needs a bit more exposure to get more people crunching their tasks ;-)

It's just a shame that John never stayed around long enough to add it to the ubtstats website. :-(
(Same with a few others too: Universe, Goofy, FiND, etc).

regards
Tim