Happy 10th Birthday to the forum

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Happy 10th Birthday to the forum

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

I missed this the other day, but on 13th March 2006, this forum started up :)

We'd had a smaller one on Yahoo groups before that and this had gotten a bit popular with BOINCer's back then.

So, thoughts were expressed about setting up our own "dedicated" forum and a young chap called Darren offered to set it up and host it.

And oft we jolly well went.

8 people signed up on the 1st day, then 6 the next, 4 the next and by the end of the 1st week, we had 22 members. 36 within the 1st month, over 50 within 3 months and so on. Our 100th member signed up on 25th September 2006 (hello "Naon" :) although his membership number is 189 as we had a lot of spammy accounts being created in the early days :( ).

Our 250th member signed up on 5th August 2008 (hi to "Scott" ) and our 400th on 28th November 2011 (hi to "ukjohnd").

Our 469th member signed up on 9th Mar 2016 (Hello "BaskB") and his membership number is 1241. So, a quick calculation shows that 772 accounts have been de-activated / deleted since we started - and over 95% of them were spam activations :(.

To the best of my knowledge, I think we've only ever banned ONE person...and that was a member of another team who had taken it upon himself to troll a few members on this forum and who, once we found out who it was, it took seconds to get rid of him. (I believe he did try and re-register, but we soon found out !!).

So, TEN YEARS my friends....10 years !! A lot has happened in that time too - we've lost some good friends (RIP RodEllery & Rockinfroggi) and some significant posters have simply gone AWOL (Temujin, Zydor, RamRaider and Darren) and a lot more have simply stopped popping in for a chat :(

Maybe it's the times we live in now, that have changed and independent forums such as this have had their day? Who knows. The main thing is that we're still here, in our new home on the intrawebby and we can look forwards to (hopefully) a few more years of BOINCing.

Have a drink on me over Easter, in remembrance of 10 years of the UBT forum...

And let's look forward to our 11th year serving the UK's best Team...thanks in no small part to all our members :)

kindest regards
Tim

oops nearly forgot - here's some smilies !!

:text-bravo: :text-givemebeer: :text-thankyoublue: :teasing-neener: :teasing-nutkick: :occasion-birthday: :occasion-cake: :occasion-birthdaymulticolor: :occasion-balloons: :occasion-birthday: :occasion-gift: :occasion-candle: :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :beer: :greetings-wavingblue: :happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl: :happy-wavemulticolor: :happy-bouncyyellow: :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy: :handgestures-thumbup: :greetings-clapyellow:
nick
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Re: Happy 10th Birthday to the forum

Post by nick »

Nice work everyone 10 years strong not many things keep alive this long so congratulations.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Geriatric UBTer here!

Rockinfroggi Gone? I thought he'd just given up on us - he was great fun, though I remember he did have medical probs. That put a dampner on it :-(

Belated Happy Birthday to the forum!

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:Hi

Geriatric UBTer here!

Rockinfroggi Gone? I thought he'd just given up on us - he was great fun, though I remember he did have medical probs. That put a dampner on it :-(

Belated Happy Birthday to the forum!

Mike
Hi Mikee

I'm not 100% sure about Gary (Froggi) but I know that he had a major, major health issue. I visited him in hospital in London and he told me about his treatment plan, which was (as much as I can recall) a last ditch attempt to give him some extended time.

But that was a good few years ago. Emails to him have been bouncing back for a while and TBH, if he had survived until now, it would be a miracle.

As much as I would hope that he's OK, I think raising a glass to him this weekend is maybe the most fitting tribute we "old timers" of the forum can do.

regards
Tim
UBT - PennyQ
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

I'm guilty of being one of those that only pops in every now and then... life kinda gets in the way. So, a very belated "Happy Birthday" to the forum from one of the 'early adopters'
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - PennyQ wrote:I'm guilty of being one of those that only pops in every now and then... life kinda gets in the way. So, a very belated "Happy Birthday" to the forum from one of the 'early adopters'
No worries Penny - nice to see you back on here again.

regards
Tim